So does Denon pretty much suck now? And I thought I was cool that I had something kinda high end 5 years ago. It can't even handle my speakers lol - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and don't throw something stupid at me like. My speakers are not efficient enough cause 88db is pretty efficient for defteks. This 4 year old $350 dollar receiver shuts off at high volumes. I mean could it be the speakers? Could it be the tinsel leads probably hitting each other on the spider flex? I am not sure. It happens and shuts off mostly on explosions or loud impactful bursts. There have been times I left my receiver on all night through its 4 year life but that shouldn't be the reason that an output transistor is shitting the bed. It is just a crap quality receiver I guess. I don't even like Denon now and I might just go Pioneer. I can't afford anything over 1000 but I just want a nice receiver with a ton of good features for music and blurays. I have my computer connected via HDMI to my samsung 40" nice TV I picked up less than 2 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 17
To start .... is this this a new issue or has it always done this?

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #3 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 PM

Liked: 147
Give a bit more info, such as what receiver you have.
post #4 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 07:21 PM

Liked: 15
Hmm... Interesting!
post #5 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Do you need 5.1 or stereo...
If only 2 channel stereo, check out the HK 3490 125W x 2...

Just my 💰 ... 👍😉
post #6 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Denon as a brand does not 'suck' just because your 4-yr old entry-level AVR now developed a fault from what you described in your last thread. Every brand has units that fail sooner or later. You should know that since you said you worked at ...

EDIT
Read this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1461764/hi-i-have-a-denon-avr1507-7-1-reciever-and-just-got-some-definitive-technology-speakers-unit-shuts-off-at-high-volumes-red-blinking-light

The AVR shuts down even with no speakers connected.

The 1507 is 6-yr old, not 4, since we're now on xx13.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #7 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I wouldn't go Pioneer. Pioneer receivers use MCACC and it doesn't EQ the sub at all. Also Pioneer receivers don't EQ any of the other speakers below 63Hz. Not ever the higher end Elite models.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #8 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Sounds to me that you have low impedance speakers, or a broken speaker cable...
post #9 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wronganswer View Post

Just don't go Onkyo. I know what it feels like. I was extremely pissed when my Onkyo crapped out very shortly after buying it. I got so pissed off that i'm running my RC-10's off my Z5500 until I get a proper amp.

Seriously speaking, there's no need to spend tons of cash on a receiver. There are tons of solid deals on non-Denons right now (RXV-673/773, SC1222K/1522K, etc). That being said, if I could find a solid deal on a Denon that would still be my go to brand (second to Marantz).
post #10 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 PM

I've been reading that Costco is selling the sc1522 for $600. That is a solid receiver!
post #11 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 11:14 PM

Liked: 21
well at $350 I'd say Denon is good as is Yamaha, Pioneer and Sony. You could always go the used market and pick up a better AVR that's a few years older. But if you can do around $1000 I'd recommend the Anthem MRX 300, I've seen it on the used market at $700, I'm not aware of any AVR in the price range having a better or as good room correction. If funds are tight I believe there is a online store selling the Pioneer, non elite but with the D3 amp for like $500-600 which would be a steal of a deal.
post #12 of 81 Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post

To start .... is this this a new issue or has it always done this?

Just started to do this but than again the crappy speakers I had before. I never blasted them cause they sounded so bad at even 20. This happens at 12 volume and usually when something happens kinda loud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Give a bit more info, such as what receiver you have.

Its an avr 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Do you need 5.1 or stereo...
If only 2 channel stereo, check out the HK 3490 125W x 2...

Just my 💰 ... 👍😉

surround and DTS is what I use. This is a 7.1 but I only use it as a 5.1
Quote:

It is rated for the proper ohm output the speakers are Definitive Technology

and these is yes is a entry level receiver but its not the cheapest one that Denon has. Not This is like the 4th model up at the time
post #13 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 01:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
I own a SC-1522-K and my wife was playing 2.0 music at very high volume, and my receiver turned off several times until I changed it to extended stereo to we're it uses the 7.1 set up. Thereafter, it stopped turning off. I also noticed that it got very hot while playing the 2.0 at high volumes. I think she had it at -20 dBs.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #14 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 03:18 AM

AuzyAudio, check your speaker cables for dents or exposed wires. Make sure thar you are using at least 16 gauge wires, this will prevent wires heating heating at high volumen. You matched the impedance between avr and speakers, and I dont see why is shutting off besides going into protection. If you can, check the receiver with other speaker.
post #15 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Another possibility is if you can look into the top with a flashlight and look for swollen or leaking caps this happens on subs after a few years (usually 5 or more) as the demand for more power they break down quicker .
post #16 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 AM

Provided you do not care about audyssey and its magic touch, you can go with Pioneer. They make great receivers that just seem to last forever.
post #17 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Provided you do not care about audyssey and its magic touch, you can go with Pioneer. They make great receivers that just seem to last forever.

Are you aware that Sherwood builds the majority of Pioneer AVRs... 😳

Just my 💰.... 👍😉
post #18 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

AuzyAudio, check your speaker cables for dents or exposed wires. Make sure thar you are using at least 16 gauge wires, this will prevent wires heating heating at high volumen. You matched the impedance between avr and speakers, and I dont see why is shutting off besides going into protection. If you can, check the receiver with other speaker.

I am using 16 gauge for the rears and 14 for the front. They are monster and it doesn't shut off at high volumes at all on stereo which does have me confused if it really is the output transistor. I suppose it could be a bad wire but I am not really sure cause even if I put it in 5.1 and crank it in "5.1 mode" with the back speakers not even connected it will shutoff. It would only go into protect I thought if it was a wire issue. Not just blink red and go off.
Quote:

yeah its too bad my Denon is too low end to have Audyssey capability. So yeah thats not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Another possibility is if you can look into the top with a flashlight and look for swollen or leaking caps this happens on subs after a few years (usually 5 or more) as the demand for more power they break down quicker .

I will give it a shot. Kinda tough to see all of them or the transistors in there. I called a repair shop and they told me $200 to fix it minimum. Obv I wouldn't spend that kind of money unless I had a 1000 dollar one.
post #19 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzyAudio View Post

I am using 16 gauge for the rears and 14 for the front. They are monster and it doesn't shut off at high volumes at all on stereo which does have me confused if it really is the output transistor. I suppose it could be a bad wire but I am not really sure cause even if I put it in 5.1 and crank it in "5.1 mode" with the back speakers not even connected it will shutoff. It would only go into protect I thought if it was a wire issue. Not just blink red and go off.
Thats not a good sign... Is time for a new receiver
post #20 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:

Just my 💰.... 👍😉

I did not know this. I thought Sherwood was owned by a Korean company, Inkel Corp. Do you mean that Inkel's factory in China makes both Sherwood and Pioneer? If so, are they making all the Pioneers - VSX and SC lines? Do they make AVR's for any other manufacturer? Please elaborate - I think a lot of us Pioneer owners would like to know more about this.

For the record, I have had various Pioneers Elite AVRs for over ten years now (use them as pre/pros) and have had trouble free service with all of them. In terms of quality, I really don't think they are any different than any other mainstream brand - Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, et al. They are only AVR's with very limited power supplies - you push their amp sections too hard and they will shut down.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #21 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM

I owned (and still have it as my back up AVR in case something bad happens to my Onkyo 3010) a Pioneer 1120 receiver. It is a great receiver, especially considering its price. My problem is I was coming from a Denon 3808 that gave up the ghost and the Pioneer just did not have the power to do what I was used to doing (running more than one post processing at the same time - sound leveling AND PLIIx for example) so I was let down a little. Not its fault, the price difference between those two put them in vastly different categories.
post #22 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraneer View Post

I did not know this. I thought Sherwood was owned by a Korean company, Inkel Corp. Do you mean that Inkel's factory in China makes both Sherwood and Pioneer? If so, are they making all the Pioneers - VSX and SC lines? Do they make AVR's for any other manufacturer? Please elaborate - I think a lot of us Pioneer owners would like to know more about this.

For the record, I have had various Pioneers Elite AVRs for over ten years now (use them as pre/pros) and have had trouble free service with all of them. In terms of quality, I really don't think they are any different than any other mainstream brand - Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, et al. They are only AVR's with very limited power supplies - you push their amp sections too hard and they will shut down.

Sherwood (Inkel/Etron) factory in China produces AVRs for Denon, Marantz, NAD, TEAC, Kenwood, Harman/Kardon and Pioneer..
@ 1 time their factory was producing 50% of all of the Dolby surround AVRs..

Note that Pioneer Japan is having very serious financial issues, both Honda and Sharp have made significant investment to try and keep it afloat. You may have noticed Sharp is now using the Elite brand on their higher end LCD displays..

Just my 💰... 👍😉
post #23 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Whenever you have a receiver shutdown like that, always double check all the speaker wiring. A short somewhere will cause this kind of shutdown. And it is not always easy to spot those shorts on the terminals.
post #24 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I own a SC-1522-K and my wife was playing 2.0 music at very high volume, and my receiver turned off several times until I changed it to extended stereo to we're it uses the 7.1 set up. Thereafter, it stopped turning off. I also noticed that it got very hot while playing the 2.0 at high volumes. I think she had it at -20 dBs.

That doesn't sound right. I just tested one hour of fairly loud music (-10db) and nothing shuts down. Check your wiring.
post #25 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

That doesn't sound right. I just tested one hour of fairly loud music (-10db) and nothing shuts down. Check your wiring.

In stereo 2.0? I did check my wiring and it appears that the combination of banana plugs, speaker wire pants and techflex is making the cables too bulky. So it looks like I might have to move the AVR to a more open area

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #26 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I specifically tested in 2.0 only mode. stereo 2.0 and music playing (continuous load) put a lot of stress on front speakers and amps especially if they are setup as 'Large'. Check the MCACC data and see how much MCACC is raising on your font speakers @63Hz if it is set up as large. Mine is at +4.0 db or so. We should take this to 1522 owners thread so we don't hijack this thread.
post #27 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Others have commented about possible loudspeaker wire shorts but...
Nobody has mentioned that the AVR needs adequate free-air clearance or it can shut down by overheating..
Make sure you have @ least 3-4" of clearance for the left/right sides and top cover, also do not stack any other component on top as this can block the top cover ventilation holes..

Just my 💰... 👍😉
post #28 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Others have commented about possible loudspeaker wire shorts but...
Nobody has mentioned that the AVR needs adequate free-air clearance or it can shut down by overheating..
Make sure you have @ least 3-4" of clearance for the left/right sides and top cover, also do not stack any other component on top as this can block the top cover ventilation holes..

Just my 💰... 👍😉

Yep, the most common cause of failure is heat due to not enough air space. The new Denon 4520 says it need an entire FOOT of air space on all sides of it (except the bottom, obviously). While I doubt it actually needs it (4 inches should be plenty), they say it does. Also, if it has plenty of airspace, but is in a sealed enclosure, you are still doomed.
post #29 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Yep, the most common cause of failure is heat due to not enough air space. The new Denon 4520 says it need an entire FOOT of air space on all sides of it (except the bottom, obviously). While I doubt it actually needs it (4 inches should be plenty), they say it does. Also, if it has plenty of airspace, but is in a sealed enclosure, you are still doomed.
Its the equivalent of jogging in the summer time with your heaviest coat you might do it for a block but not several of them.
post #30 of 81 Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:

Just my 💰.... 👍😉

I had heard as much, but each end company has its own designs, specs, components, etc that the factory has to meet. Basically, the end units are not just rebadges of one design.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Hk 3490 120 Watt Stereo Receiver , Samsung 40 Inch Class Led Hdtv , Logitech Z 5500 Thx Certified 5 1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System , Energy Rc 10 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Ash Veneer , Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Pioneer Sc 1522k 9 2 Channel Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - V673 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page