Need Pioneer Elite receiver purchase advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I'm in the market for a receiver and am going to buy either a Pioneer Elite SC 65 or SC 67 (due to sale prices.)

I own an Elite Pro 111 FD plasma and want to pair it with a Pioneer receiver.

The Elite's have recently been discounted and I think it's because the new lines will be introduced soon (last year it was May.)

My current receiver is over 15 years old and doesn't have HDMI connections.

Any feedback, advice or input would be appreciated on the following topics:

1. Is there any new Elite features or technology worth waiting and paying for when the new lines are released? (This receiver will be used with the Kuro so 3D technology doesn't matter.)

2. Will I notice a big audio difference with the upgrade from my Yamaha V995?

3. Will I notice enhanced picture quality using HDMI from the cable box and BD player into the receiver and then out to TV as compared to my current set up which is optical into receiver and HDMI directly from component into TV for video?

4. The cost difference is $300 from the SC 65 (130 watts x 9) to the SC 67 (140 watts x 9). Will I notice any audio quality increase?

When I upgraded my TV the picture quality was obvious but I'm not sure what to expect with a new receiver.

I'll upgrade my speakers in the next year with a budget between $750 to $1,500. I want to make sure the money on the Pioneer Elite SC 65 or SC 67 (between 1,000 and $1,300) is well spent as opposed to buying a lower end Pioneer receiver with better speakers.

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
If you're considering the SC-65, you might want to look at the SC-1522-K. It's the same receiver minus the Elite badge and amber display. It's currently selling for $599 at Costco.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-04-2013, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't figure out if posters here are indifferent or without knowledge.

Thanks to dharel for responding!
post #4 of 11 Old 04-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Some physical differences of the 65 - 67 are
67 has 1 additional component video input and output
67 has zone 4 HDMI output
67 has phono input if you are wanting to play with vinyl - - this is the big difference to me
67 has copper plated screws!!!
67 has Select 2 Plus rating over Select 2
67 has Air Studio certification

Be aware that both do NOT have the 7.1 analog input connectors - only found on the 68.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-04-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I doubt you'll see any difference in video picture quality.

Greg Lee
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvd3399 View Post

Any feedback, advice or input would be appreciated on the following topics:

1. Is there any new Elite features or technology worth waiting and paying for when the new lines are released? (This receiver will be used with the Kuro so 3D technology doesn't matter.)

2. Will I notice a big audio difference with the upgrade from my Yamaha V995?

3. Will I notice enhanced picture quality using HDMI from the cable box and BD player into the receiver and then out to TV as compared to my current set up which is optical into receiver and HDMI directly from component into TV for video?

4. The cost difference is $300 from the SC 65 (130 watts x 9) to the SC 67 (140 watts x 9). Will I notice any audio quality increase?

Regarding the four questions in your post, here are my comments:

1. Probably not.

2. Most likely. The new Pioneer Class D3 amps found in these AVR's are very robust and certified to drive 4 Ohm speakers. They have been critically reviewed and very well received by the audio press. Also, if you are using a Blu-ray player, you will gain a significant improvement with the ability the to enjoy the new lossless codecs, Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD via a single HDMI connection. Finally, Pioneers MCACC room calibration is extremely effective and some even favor it over the latest versions of Audyssey.

3. You have a great Plasma Display and will probably not see a difference in picture quality running the video switching through the new Elite AVR vs. what you are doing now. You will hear a difference though running the audio from the Blu-ray player into the AVR as you will now be able to decode the new formats. These lossless formats are available on Blu-ray only and not cable, so no change in sound quality from televison.

4. The audible difference between 130 and 140 wpc is nil. If the other features found on the SC-67 that PeterK pointed out are not of interest or use to you, then save the $300 and get the SC-65 because you will not hear a difference. Even if you wanted a phono input, a separate phono preamp rivaling ot bettering the one found in the SC-67 could be had for less $150. Your still money ahead. Hope this helps.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Why pay a higher cost for the new ones that may come out, They will only have some minor difference. Companies have the line-up for several years in advance and change a few things every year thru the production cycle for the line. The 65 and 67 are both great especially compared to a 15 year old avr. Get either one and you will be happy. I am a MCACC fan, after owing two Denon's. I think it is the best whole system integration software from one of the major avr companies

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

Some physical differences of the 65 - 67 are
67 has 1 additional component video input and output
67 has zone 4 HDMI output
67 has phono input if you are wanting to play with vinyl - - this is the big difference to me
67 has copper plated screws!!!
67 has Select 2 Plus rating over Select 2
67 has Air Studio certification

Be aware that both do NOT have the 7.1 analog input connectors - only found on the 68.

this...

to the original poster/shopper -

be sure you don't trade lower cost & miss features you think you want. I've read too many posts where someone went with a lower Pioneer model then tried to do something it couldn't do but the next model or 2 up did do. when you have to tell them they bought the wrong one, I'm sure that didn't make them feel too good about their new toy. I've read posts where the new owner wanted to plug in a turntable & didn't realize the one they bought didn't have phono preamp inputs!

there's not that big a cost difference between these models to not get what you think you can use.

for example, 7.1 vs 9.1 capability - the lower cost ones ONLY do 7.1, so you cannot have rears, heights at the same time, some have found that out the hard way.

another is multizone capabilities
another is inputs/outputs

my advice is

1. don't just follow the best discounted sale price & think you got the best value
2. download & read the manuals from Pioneer's web site & make sure you know what features you'll not get by going to the lower models
3. then & only then plunk down the cc wink.gif

hope this helps

Steve
post #9 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

Why pay a higher cost for the new ones that may come out, They will only have some minor difference.

hmmm - maybe true in most cases but that probably won't apply to 2014 receivers & prepros wink.gif

with multidimensional audio on the horizon, new processor DSP's, Pioneer spinning off its home audio div into a wholly owned subsidiary with independent control over what it can do to meet market needs, those minor changes just might become major within 2 years wink.gif

just like PC's, you know the one you buy now will be "obsoleted" by new tech not that far down the road...you just have to not wait & jump in smile.gif

Steve
post #10 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

hmmm - maybe true in most cases but that probably won't apply to 2014 receivers & prepros wink.gif

with multidimensional audio on the horizon, new processor DSP's, Pioneer spinning off its home audio div into a wholly owned subsidiary with independent control over what it can do to meet market needs, those minor changes just might become major within 2 years wink.gif

just like PC's, you know the one you buy now will be "obsoleted" by new tech not that far down the road...you just have to not wait & jump in smile.gif

Just depends on if you care about those features or not.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
obviously

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors