Denon vs Yamaha reliability - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,
I've narrowed down my search between the avr-1913 and the RX-V573. Reliability is my overall concern. I was leaning towards the denon for a few of the features but have heard that Yamaha reliability is about the best it comes with receivers. Looking for some good opinions/info . Thanks!

This receiver will be hardwired into my network and will be pushing a simple 5.1 system with a Samsung plasma smart tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Whether it's true or not, Yamaha does have a reputation around these parts for being trouble-free. I don't think that you should "expect" problems with either of those models though. Just get which ever one you like more.

post #3 of 32 Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Yamaha AVRs are typically more reliable than the Denon...
IMHO..
Basic reason is that Yamaha designs and builds their AVRs while Denon outsources certain tasks..

Just my 💰.... 👍😉
post #4 of 32 Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I replaced my Yamaha RXV-2092 after 16 years only because I wanted the newer audio codecs and HDMI connectivity last year. It is still going strong in a friends home and was a floor model at that.
It was replaced by, yep, another Yamaha.
post #5 of 32 Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 13
I'm starting to lean towards the Yamaha as folks don't seem to have issues. I would try the Denon as it seems to have great sound and features, but I still want reliability. Choices choices
post #6 of 32 Old 04-02-2013, 08:12 PM

Liked: 14
As one who have had experience with both brands I can say that both have great sounds and it boils down to preference and other factors that are important to you such as reliability.
post #7 of 32 Old 04-03-2013, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Prior to purchasing my 4520ci I had Yamahas for a long time. I went to Denon because the 4530ci offered more features that I wanted than the Yamaha 3020. The 4520ci replaced a Yamaha that I had since 1995. In a comparison between the two in stereo sound quality. The 17 yr. old Yamaha sounded just as good as the 4520. At first I had a problem with the network streaming on the 4520 but that seems to have settled down and I am really enjoying entering the digital age. I would buy the 4520ci again.
post #8 of 32 Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am also a fan of Yamaha I only replace them for new features!!
Reliability has always been a plus in my experience.
post #9 of 32 Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Yamaha AVRs are typically more reliable than the Denon...

To continue,...Canon is more reliable than Nikon, Coca-Cola tastes better than Pepsi, Ford is more reliable than GM, Cinzano tastes better than Martini, men know better than women!!

Hogwash, eh? cool.gif

Everybody should choose the product that suits their needs via inspecting features they need the most. Reliability is a non measurable issue no matter what you are told to beleive. smile.gif
post #10 of 32 Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 PM

I've had seven Yamaha receivers/AVRs dating back to 1979 (CR-840) and the only one that has been in the shop is the first one, which eventually needed its pots cleaner and its incandescent panel lights replaced. My mid-1980s vintage Yamaha receiver was somewhat questionably built, but everything I've bought from 2000 to the present is flawless. My only deviation from Yamaha over the year, a Sony ES series AVR, was a disaster.
post #11 of 32 Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 PM

I have been a yamaha receiver guy since the early nineteen nineties. I must have had between 5 and 7 units myself with A3020 as my current unit. None has developed any problem whatsoever. I only deviated once with DENON 4311ci which had to be replaced by my dealer after a couple of days because of intermittent audio and video dropouts. Sold it recently and purchased my current yamaha. So, I'd say RELIABILITY is measurable in terms of time saved from not calling customer support, frustration avoidance, and customer satisfaction.
post #12 of 32 Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
I have owned kenwood, sony, marantz, and yamaha. I have listened to a few denons and onkyos... imo when comparing similar models the yamahas always drive the speakers better. they might not be the most festure rich, but i dont need 10hdmi inputs when 6 is sufficient...I want rock solid performance and reliability.
post #13 of 32 Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As an owner of both Denon 1910 and Yamaha RX 663, while they are both great sounding AVRs, the ability to work with D*TV and other HDMI connection became a major issue with Denon. Due to dissension in my family, I switched my Yamaha 663 from bedroom to the living room and pulled the Denon out and brought that back upstairs. Now the kids are happy, we can watch whatever we want without having an issue or question: do I switch this equipment on first, then that, etc.

Yammie gets the award in family friendly usage
post #14 of 32 Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Liked: 11
Since 1997 I've owned 3 receivers -

HK AVR II - Still going strong in the bedroom
Denon 3802 - Going strong in the basement
Denon 2112 - Current system

All three have worked without any failures so I guess most receivers are generally reliable.
post #15 of 32 Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Liked: 12

I'm brand new here and just ordered a Yamaha HTR-4065 (aka RX-V473) two days ago after an abysmal experience with mid-level Onkyos. Reading this thread gave me warm fuzzies and I feel very confident about my purchase. Thanks!

post #16 of 32 Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 702
I'm a long time Pioneer user with nary a complaint. The only product line that has gained a reputation for above average reliability problems is Onkyo. As far as I know, the other brands are all pretty reliable and I'm sure Yamaha is right up there with the best of them.
post #17 of 32 Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

To continue,...Canon is more reliable than Nikon, Coca-Cola tastes better than Pepsi, Ford is more reliable than GM, Cinzano tastes better than Martini, men know better than women!!

Hogwash, eh? cool.gif

Everybody should choose the product that suits their needs via inspecting features they need the most. Reliability is a non measurable issue no matter what you are told to beleive. smile.gif

We have good reason to believe MCode given he probably had been to most of the places where these devices been build. As a denon user (with very little problems over the last 20 years) if he claims the numbers say yammaha is more reliable on avg they probably are. Now my avp/poa are build like a nuke will not kill them smile.gif

Keep in mind its also about personal luck, i know people who have had apple devices with problem after problem while i use many many many apple devices without any problems for many years.

Daniel.

for men to evolve we have to upgrade
post #18 of 32 Old 11-04-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hogwash, eh? cool.gif

believe is more reliable than beleive.biggrin.gif

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #19 of 32 Old 11-04-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If one is a major AV seller/installer it is straight-forward to calculate which AVR brand is more reliable..
No rocket-science just simple math..📠
How many AVRs failed, divided by How many AVRs were sold/installed?

To better understand the numbers one has to separate the BS from reality... 😚
How many AVRs were installed as per the brand's instructions especially for free-air clearance..
As some AVS folks may recall awhile back there was a long thread pounding Onkyo/Integra about their reliability...
However when we asked the complainers to post pixes of their installs so we could review/check their clearances.. 😳
Unfortunately, zippo, nada was posted.... 😷

When comparing AVR brands and respective reliability it is pertinent to breakout their lifetime... ie.. How old are the AVRs...
As before the price competition war heated up pushing for the most watts/ch & # of HDMI inputs @ $299 driven by the big box and internet sellers, many, many AVRs were originally built in Japan in their own factories..
Today...
As many people may not realize certain major AVR brands do not build their own products.. 😁
They are outsourced..
Mainly from China, in fact 1 Chinese factory builds AVRs for Pioneer, Sony, NAD, Harman/Kardon, Denon, Marantz, Teac...

The only major AVR brand that designs and builds AVRs within their own confines is Yamaha...
Yamaha actually has (3) factories for building AV products, Malaysia, China and Japan. The majority of their AVRs are built in Malaysia, and the very high end components are built in Japan. Their factory in China builds AVRs but its primary sales go to the local Chinese market and Southeast Asia..

Bottom line..
Yamaha is without question the most reliable AVR brand...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
sdv5, azz7686, dmarqueset and 2 others like this.
post #20 of 32 Old 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Liked: 1
For what it's worth, my Denon AVR 3300 finely gave up after 12 years of usage. One of the best repair shops in my area will not work on it as he has had problems in the past getting printed materials needed from Denon. Another repair shop tried for about 6 weeks to get it back in shape and could not.

So I am looking for another A/V receiver, but will stay away from Denon this time.
post #21 of 32 Old 11-23-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

For what it's worth, my Denon AVR 3300 finely gave up after 12 years of usage. One of the best repair shops in my area will not work on it as he has had problems in the past getting printed materials needed from Denon. Another repair shop tried for about 6 weeks to get it back in shape and could not.

So I am looking for another A/V receiver, but will stay away from Denon this time.

IMHO...
Don't know the technical details but 12 years is a pretty good run time..
Today AVRs are throw aways, few brands carry any parts > 5 years old.
The 3300 was built in the good ole days in Japan, now the majority of issues are from AVRs outsourced from China..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #22 of 32 Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Final thought...
If you really like the 3300...
There are @ least 6 units for sale on e-bagger...
For the most part they appear in good, working condition..
Might consider getting 1 just for a spare parts supply..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #23 of 32 Old 11-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Because it didn't last 22 years??

Samsung UN60ES8000, MartinLogan Theos & Stage, B&M CM9 surrounds, Denon 3313, Roku 3, AppleTV, Chromecast, PS4 (SubSolar), Xbox One (SubSolar0)
post #24 of 32 Old 11-24-2013, 11:05 PM

I've had my Denon 3200 for over 14 years and it just keeps on kickin'. I've had no problems with it what so ever. At the time I purchased it, I had my choices down to Denon, Yamaha or Marantz and have never regret my choice. It has great sound and plenty of muscle to power the Paradigm speakers. The only drawback to the 3200 has just recently come into play. It does not decode DTS. So, playing blu rays is a little disappointing. Therefore, a day for an up grade is coming, but probably not because of it's failure.

post #25 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM

In my modest experience, I've been using almost regularly my Denon AVR 1400 since 1998 (yes, since last century!) and still does its "dirty" job (at first with CDs only, then paired with a dvd player, now with blu rays and NAS).

The leading voice in MY choice was NOT reliability (I think that almost all the "old, big" names of HiFi makers have in average, a good reliability with their components), but the way it sounded: if I liked it or not.

When I went to the HiFi shop (not a shopping center), once I laid down my budget and described my room and furniture (the environment the system would have to work in) to the seller, he made me to compare (in a solo session) several amplifiers by listening to a CD I carried with me (which I know well "how" it sounds) with the same speakers.

The choice will be up to your likings: there's no doubt that you can pick up the difference if you don't just want to listen to the bangs and booms from movies special effects!

Reliability? I think it is something that it's hard to say...manufacturers don't go around shouting out the statistics on repairs, RMAs or DOAs...

In well-known, specialized shops you won't find crap: sellers take good care of customers and do make selections on products by themselves

If you really have to go for reliability, get the brand whose repairing center is closer to your home!

;-)

Regards from Rome :-)

post #26 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMike View Post

IMO this is what a 12 year old AVR owes you:

In fact AVRs and the AVR working environment has changed so much over the past 12 years that it can be argued that that poor old Deon did you a favor by dying! ;-)

Also, after 12 years, here's what you can transfer about how a given company builds its products:

same number!
post #27 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

If one is a major AV seller/installer it is straight-forward to calculate which AVR brand is more reliable..
No rocket-science just simple math..📠
How many AVRs failed, divided by How many AVRs were sold/installed?

For statistics to be representative, you need something like a dozen samples.
post #28 of 32 Old 11-25-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

For statistics to be representative, you need something like a dozen samples.

In our AV biz...
We have sold > 375 AVRs in the last 2 1/2 years..
That is enough to calculate and summarize which brands/products are more reliable..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #29 of 32 Old 11-26-2013, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I love my Yamaha's. Mine is six years old. My brother and brother-in law love the other brands and they seem to buy new avrs for one reason or another.
post #30 of 32 Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 AM

Liked: 1
I decided to purchase the Yamaha TSR-6750WA

The only issue at this point, since my Mits TV does not have HDMI, is that the on screen TV set up of the receiver states that an HDMI is required. So I will try using an HDMI to Component cable on the TV end for that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Yamaha Rx A3020 9 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Yamaha Rx V663 Receiver , Denon Avr1910 7 1 Channel Multi Zone Home Theater Receiver With 1080p Hdmi Connectivity , Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver , Denon Avr 1913 Receiver , Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page