Reasonably Priced AVR/Amp for 2.0 usage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s, and I need something to drive them. I live in a pretty small apartment, so I don't need a ton of oomph, but the Veneres are a bit of a pain to drive, so I'm a bit concerned.

I'm going to be running them in a 2.0 setup, with Apple TV, Blu Ray, and Cable inputs, so I was leaning towards getting an AVR with HDMI inputs (though I could be convinced otherwise).

I had been primarily looking at the Yamaha RX-V673 (on the current sale from Amazon) or a Denon AVR-1912/1913/2113 or Marantz 1402/3 / 1602/3 (Accessories4Less Refurb). Are these overkill? Insufficient?

Also, I kinda blew my budget on the speakers, so spending less is obviously preferable smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
You selected speakers that are only rated @ 85db/6Ω so any AVR/amp is not going to be over kill.
And even in a small apartment I don't know if 50w will really drive them properly, so that rules out the Marantz.
Both the Denon and Yamaha are 90w. I would most certainly get a model with at least L/R pre outs so if you decide later to add a power amp, you can.

Or you could go with a stereo receiver like the HK 3390 (80w) or 3490 (120w). Although they do not have hdmi.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweoj View Post

So, I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 1.5s, and I need something to drive them. I live in a pretty small apartment, so I don't need a ton of oomph, but the Veneres are a bit of a pain to drive, so I'm a bit concerned.

I'm going to be running them in a 2.0 setup, with Apple TV, Blu Ray, and Cable inputs, so I was leaning towards getting an AVR with HDMI inputs (though I could be convinced otherwise).

I had been primarily looking at the Yamaha RX-V673 (on the current sale from Amazon) or a Denon AVR-1912/1913/2113 or Marantz 1402/3 / 1602/3 (Accessories4Less Refurb). Are these overkill? Insufficient?

Also, I kinda blew my budget on the speakers, so spending less is obviously preferable smile.gif

There's no reason to be too picky about amplifier power. Virtually every AVR on the market and the booster power amps that people buy to soup them up have power output that falls in a +/- 3 dB range around 100 wpc, or from 50 to 200 watts. If you currently have an AVR that has a volume control calibrated in dB, make 3 dB adjustments of it while you are playing music, and see what you think. That's the maximum range of loudness that different AVRs and commonly used add-on power amps can provide you, and only in the rare circumstance that you ran them right up to clipping.

100 wpc is 20 dB above one watt, so your 85 dB/W speakers can reach 105 dB before that amp would clip. Your speakers are rated to be maxed out with 50 wpc for long terms or 150 watts peak or short term. Most AVRs in the 100 wpc range (80-102 watts) can put out at least 150 wpc for a short time when operated as a 2-channel amplifier. The most likely limit to dynamic range in your new audio system is going to be the speakers. You can't expect a lot of bass out of a single 6 inch bass driver. If you are serious about anything like full range sound you will need to add a decent subwoofer.

As far as AVR choices go, I would prefer Denon or Marantz AVRs because they come with Audyssey which appears to be the automated system tuning facility of choice. Check the AVS user experience threads for specific pieces of equipment that you are thinking about buying to see if the model you want to buy has some hidden problems.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors