Best 5 channel amp for less than $1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
As title says, what do you guys vote as the best 5 channel amp for less than $1000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 30
I think the list of 5 channel amps (not receivers) under $1000 is a very short one. Possibly only consisting of the two Emotiva 5 channel amps (XPA-5 and UPA-500). If there are others, I think you'd be hard pressed to beat the XPA-5 in that price range.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Liked: 11
There is the Marantz MM7055, looks like it may be around 1200, but can be had refurb. from accessories4less for 899.
post #4 of 27 Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 10
Outlaw has a 7 under a grand. Its notbad
post #5 of 27 Old 04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 83
post #6 of 27 Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks guys. In leaning towards the Emotiva XPA-5 due simply because the amount of times I've seen the brand mentioned on the threads I frequent.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Ok the shop I've been going to has talked me out of the Emotiva. I'll probably pull the trigger on the Anthem MCA 30. Three channel amp @225 watts. I'll use the MRX 300 to run the surrounds.

He said a customer recently brought in an Emotiva monoblock and compared to their Anthem Statement (I know the Statement series is pricier) the Anthem had a lot more clarity, but the Emotiva did play loud.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Why not try the XPA-5 in your own home for 30 days then decide? If you find it isn't for you ship it back for a full refund. The cost of shipping it back is minuscule compared to buying an amp at 3x the price of the XPA-5 and not getting an amp that sounds any better. I've owned many of Emotiva's amps - including the XPA-5 and found it to be as good as some very expensive amps. I've compared Emo amps to some very nice Acurus amps and found no real differences.

I'd never go by what some 'shop' said - they don't make money on Emotiva amps since they don't sell them. There is a couple of threads here that users have given their opinions of Emotiva amps and not too many have found the XPA amps lacking in any way. I'm powering my own home system with a UPA-500 and a UPA-2.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

Why not try the XPA-5 in your own home for 30 days then decide? If you find it isn't for you ship it back for a full refund. The cost of shipping it back is minuscule compared to buying an amp at 3x the price of the XPA-5 and not getting an amp that sounds any better. I've owned many of Emotiva's amps - including the XPA-5 and found it to be as good as some very expensive amps. I've compared Emo amps to some very nice Acurus amps and found no real differences.

I'd never go by what some 'shop' said - they don't make money on Emotiva amps since they don't sell them. There is a couple of threads here that users have given their opinions of Emotiva amps and not too many have found the XPA amps lacking in any way. I'm powering my own home system with a UPA-500 and a UPA-2.

I saw one poster say return shipping from California (where I'm at also) is about $90. I'm not willing to risk that amount of money to "try" the Emotiva. So that appeal aspect in favor of the Emotiva is out of the question.

It is a bigger gamble to just "hope" the Anthem sounds better and is worth the premium, but that's how I am.

I wish I could try listening to both side by side, but it doesn't seem possible and I'm left scouring forums hoping someone has a reliable impression.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM

Liked: 10
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1114207/official-all-amps-sound-the-same-thread
post #11 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresare View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I saw one poster say return shipping from California (where I'm at also) is about $90. I'm not willing to risk that amount of money to "try" the Emotiva. So that appeal aspect in favor of the Emotiva is out of the question.

It is a bigger gamble to just "hope" the Anthem sounds better and is worth the premium, but that's how I am.

I wish I could try listening to both side by side, but it doesn't seem possible and I'm left scouring forums hoping someonpression.
If you are near the san Francisco bay area you can come listen to my xpa-5.

I also find it interesting that your anthem dealer is making the anthem be the superior product for you in an effort to make the sale. Mercedes car dealers will tell you their cars are superior to BMW or Lexus.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #12 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

If you are near the san Francisco bay area you can come listen to my xpa-5.

I also find it interesting that your anthem dealer is making the anthem be the superior product for you in an effort to make the sale. Mercedes car dealers will tell you their cars are superior to BMW or Lexus.

I'm in So. Cal, but I appreciate your offer =) I definitely am keeping in mind that the salesman at the shop has a high chance of doing what his boss tells him to do...make sales. The gullible nature in me that thinks most humans are good people also believes he's being honest that he thought their Anthem Statement sounded much clearer than the Emovita .. at least to him...The Statement series is much pricier than the MCA 30 and Emotiva though..

___

As far as Merc vs BMW vs Lexus .. I think Lexus fits those who prefer luxury vs performance more. I prefer performance.

Between Merc and BMW, I had a recent choice to make 4 years back haha. 2008 M3 vs 2008 C63 AMG. I went with the higher strung 8400 RPM M3 because it felt more responsive and had more driver input, but I am missing the gobs of low end the C63 has .. and a more luxurious interior biggrin.gif
post #13 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Might find a Rotel RMB-1565, or an older 1085 for around 1k. It lists for a bit north of there.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Oh the shop is quoting me $1885 for the MCA 30 after tax btw..not sure if this is a fair price..
post #15 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Liked: 15
just curious but what are you pairing the new amp with?

post #16 of 27 Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweisen View Post

just curious but what are you pairing the new amp with?

Athem MRX 300
Paradigm Studio lineup... Studio 100 fronts, CC-690 center, ADP 590 surrounds, and Sub 12 subwoofer.

Anthem MCA 30 powering the fronts + center
MRX 300 powering the surrounds.
post #17 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Just pulled the trigger on the Anthem MCA 30. Here's to hoping it makes the system sing smile.gif
post #18 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

Ok the shop I've been going to has talked me out of the Emotiva. I'll probably pull the trigger on the Anthem MCA 30. Three channel amp @225 watts. I'll use the MRX 300 to run the surrounds.

He said a customer recently brought in an Emotiva monoblock and compared to their Anthem Statement (I know the Statement series is pricier) the Anthem had a lot more clarity, but the Emotiva did play loud.

How did they manage to talk you out of the Emotiva? Nothing wrong with the XPA-5 that I'm aware of.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #19 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post

How did they manage to talk you out of the Emotiva? Nothing wrong with the XPA-5 that I'm aware of.
I read a few posts where owners had problems with their Emotiva's. I know it happens with every brand..hell I've had problems with my Anthem's and Paradigm speakers from day one...but the shop takes care of me getting replacements. If i did this with Emotiva, I believe you pay the damn shipping cost back which is around $90. Also my gut tells me Anthem is more established...also I've read posters say the Anthem amps seem to work well with the Paradigm speakers..so i kinda like the fact all my gear is under the same brand umbrella. I do trust the salesman at the shop saying he preferred the sound from the anthem compared to the two Emotiva monoblocks that a customer brought in. Supposedly even the customer agreed. I also like having my receiver match the amp aesthetically. I bought the paradigm sub 12 in piano black over subs such as SVS which I see a lot of ppl say performs better and is much cheaper just so it matches looks wise. I'm not getting a chance to listen and compare and quite frankly I want to make this the last trip I ever make to the audio shop. All my gear should arrive in a week and a half and I pray I have no more problems as I have been plagued with them. I've spent way more than I initially intended to and I still don't have my TV. Gotta save up for that Panasonic 60" ZT and that'll be my last home theater purchase.
post #20 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
SVS makes piano black subs if you'd still be interested in checking them out. You could put the price difference toward your TV.

-Sean
post #21 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

SVS makes piano black subs if you'd still be interested in checking them out. You could put the price difference toward your TV.

-Sean
But it doesn't have the cute little silver outrigger feet!
post #22 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Would you mind telling us which shop did you go to?
post #23 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Would you mind telling us which shop did you go to?
Depends why you want to know smile.gif
post #24 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I live in scal, I occasionally visits local audio store so see what's available for fun and compare my own stuff. I had a gtg at my house last year and it was a blast. A fellow Avs member may open an event at his house soon.
post #25 of 27 Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've been going to Audio Video Today in Westminster California. Oh I notice you're in Fontucky .. kinda far away..
post #26 of 27 Old 04-06-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

lol
post #27 of 27 Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

lol
Haha
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Emotiva Upa 500 Five Channel Power Amplifier , Marantz Mm7055 5 Channel Power Amplifier Black
Gear in this thread - Mm7055 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page