I am buying my first home theater setup, primarily for the purpose of watching TV and movies and listening to music from my HTPC. I just picked up two floorstanding speakers (e Andrew Jones-designed SP-FS52-LR's) and the matching center. Because I'm in an apartment, I will not have a sub or rears, so I'll be working with a 3.0 setup.
On accessories4less, I can buy a refurbished Onkyo TX-Nr515 or, for the same price, I can get the Denon AVR-1613. Which should I prefer?
As I see it, the advantages of the Onkyo are:
1. Better iOS app and better usability
2. Spotify (but I can stream Spotify to the Denon over AirPlay)
The advantages of the Denon are:
1. MultiEQ instead of Onkyo's 2EQ (but does that matter for 3.0 setups?)
2. AirPlay integration (but I already have an Airport Express and can get the same functionality by running an optical cable to the Onkyo)
3. Potentially lower chance of a lemon (I've read that Onkyo had some firmware problems is year)
Which should I get?
I ruled out the Denon AVR-1713 because it is $80 more, and given my 3.0 setup I assumed it wasn't worth paying a 1/3 price increase to bump up to MultiEQ XT. Was I wrong?
Thanks in advance!