HDMI handshake issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been having a lot of problems that seems to be related to HDMI handshake. When i switch input to my HTPC on my AVR, 25% of the time i get a black screen and i have to switch to another input then switch back to HTPC until i get an image. Sometimes i even need to reboot my HTPC to get an image on the tv. I also have the same problem when my HTPC wakes from sleep.

I have been told that it looks like an handshake issue. So i found a tutorial to use Moninfo but i'm having trouble with it. I can't merge the INF file so i don't know if i need if i need to use the INF file of my TV or my AVR.

So i tried to force my HTPC to use the INF file of my AVR but i keep having the same problems again.

I currently use a brand new Denon AVR but i used an Onkyo receiver for 2 years and i had the same problem. I also tried with different video card and even with a different HDTV.

Setup:
Video card = HIS iSilence H775P1GD Radeon HD 7750
AVR = Denon 3313ci
TV = Panasonic VT50
HTPC on Windows 8

Here is the instructions i followed to override EDID on my HTPC
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1091766&postcount=9

I've heard of an hardware solution called "Gefen HDMI Detective plus", did anyone try it ?
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchoi View Post

I've been having a lot of problems that seems to be related to HDMI handshake. When i switch input to my HTPC on my AVR, 25% of the time i get a black screen and i have to switch to another input then switch back to HTPC until i get an image. Sometimes i even need to reboot my HTPC to get an image on the tv.

I have been told that it looks like an handshake issue. So i found a tutorial to use Moninfo but i'm having trouble with it. I can't merge the INF file so i don't know if i need if i need to use the INF file of my TV or my AVR.

So i tried to force my HTPC to use the INF file of my AVR but i keep having the same problems again.

I currently use a brand new Denon AVR but i used an Onkyo receiver for 2 years and i had the same problem. I also tried with different video card and even with a different HDTV.

Setup:
Video card = HIS iSilence H775P1GD Radeon HD 7750
AVR = Denon 3313ci
TV = Panasonic VT50

I've heard of an hardware solution called "Gefen HDMI Detective plus", did anyone try it ?
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

In reviewing the Intel site digital-cp.com, we failed to find the Radeon 7750 as being HDMI certified, last years Radeon 6600 was listed. Without the proper certification, compatibility with other HDMI components is questionable. One thing you might try is modify your power up sequence,:
Try this order:
1. Display
2. AVR
3. HTPC

I hope that helps.

Just my 💰... 👍😉
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Even with this power sequence, the problem still happen when switching inputs on my AVR

If i use my onboard HDMI (6500 from my AMD A8-3850) i have same problem

Looks like the solution is to fix the handshake issue by forcing an INF file but there's something i'm not doing right since i wasn't able to merge my AVR's INF file with my TV's INF file
post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I assume you're using Windows 7. A sure fire solution, without using the Gefen HDMI detective is this:

1) connect the dvi output from the video card to the tv using a dvi to hdmi cable and set the tv as display 1. You can run 1080p/24 over dvi;
2) connect an hdmi/hdmi cable from the video card to your receiver and set the receiver as display 2;
3) extend your desktop from display 1 to display 2.

This method allows me to switch inputs on my tv and avr and never lose the signal when switching back. This also allows me to turn my components on in any order with any input selected at time of power up.

The reason you're getting the black screen is because the PC is losing the TV's edid information.

If you don't have a dvi to hdmi cable, just hook your computer monitor up instead.

The Gefen device also works on my second rig too.

I would try my suggested solution above. If it doesn't work, you could try the Gefen.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

wouldn't work for my situation if the receiver isn't display #1. All fullscreen apps like games and XBMC will start in monitor #1
post #6 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wouldn't work for my situation if the receiver isn't display #1. All fullscreen apps like games and XBMC will start in monitor #1
I'm not sure why that would be. Any particular reason? I have seen posts in the htpc section from members that run xbmc using the method I described.

The switching of inputs on the avr is what causes the loss of edid info for me and many other htpc owners.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Fullscreen apps will start on your "main display", which can be any display you choose. Just check the "Make this my main display" box in the WIndows display settings.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well if i understand correctly what audit13 says, my main display would need to be DVI
post #9 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well if i understand correctly what audit13 says, my main display would need to be DVI
If your video card has 1 dvi and 1 hdmi, you need the dvi for picture and hdmi for sound. Or, you could feed hdmi to the tv for video and audio to the receiver via optical or co-ax.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... I think he means duplicate the display so that the same image is displayed on both and so both are the main display.
post #11 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Wouldn't work for me. I really need audio/video through HDMI sent to my AVR because my AVR is outputting audio/video to 3 different TVs in 2 different zones
post #12 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

That makes a fair bit difference to the nature of your problem. Do you experience this problem, using the equipment you have today, all connected how you normally have it, with all three of your TVs, or just the one TV you mentioned in your original post?
post #13 of 14 Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

All 3 tvs. When i switch input to HTPC and get a black screen, then all of my 3 tv's will have black screens
post #14 of 14 Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a Gefen may be the only possible solution. By using the Gefen, the edid information is retained by the htpc even when switching inputs on the tv or avr.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page