Any issues with bypassing Denon 4311's video? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying a Denon 4311 against a Pioneer 1522. I haven't gone through the entire Audyssey routine yet so I can't fully compare the sound but I was surprised to see that the image on my Samsung LED TV is better with the Pioneer.

Video on the Pioneer on its LCD setting is crisper than the Denon's and seems to pop off the screen.

I'm currently running HDMI out from a Tivo Premier and a Samsung BD, both of which have optical outputs if I want to use them. I wondered if anyone has had any experience running optical audio out to the receiver from the Tivo and/or blu-ray player and going direct via HDMI f to the TV for video, bypassing the receiver.

Would I find problems syncing dialogue and image? Would I lose any video signal upconversion if I bypass the receiver (doubtful, since they both upconvert)? Importantly, would there be any other problems I don't know enough to anticipate?

I would like to keep the Denon because it was my first choice and I have the feeling that when I get Audyssey set up it might sound a little better than the Pioneer. But we watch TV and movies through it every night, and if the Pioneer video is the best I can get that'll tip the balance.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 102
When I had my projector calibrated one of the the things my calibrator verified was that video was passing through my 4311 completely unmolested. Because of this I run all of my sources through the AVR. I suggest you finish running the Audyssey calibration and do some critical listening. Coming from a few receivers with MCACC for me there was a night and day difference between Audyssey (XT32) and MCACC.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

When I had my projector calibrated one of the the things my calibrator verified was that video was passing through my 4311 completely unmolested. Because of this I run all of my sources through the AVR. I suggest you finish running the Audyssey calibration and do some critical listening. Coming from a few receivers with MCACC for me there was a night and day difference between Audyssey (XT32) and MCACC.

That's really interesting and makes me guess that the Pioneer (which I think runs a Qdeo chip) enhances the video in a way that I couldn't obtain by going straight to the TV.

Better video, or better audio...? Looks like we're going to spend some time with Audyssey tonight!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page