Speakers not balanced (left has less sound/music) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently moved to a new house and the previous owner had a whole house music system installed with 5 zones. He took his equipment when he left but of course the speakers and all wiring is in place.

I connected my Yamaha Rx 867 amp and connected one zone (2 set of speakers) directly to Zone 2 of the receiver. But for some reason one speaker is lot more weaker than the other speaker. I replaced the speakers with newer polk 65i but still same issue. I even replaced in wall volume control and tried all setting on impedance jumper but still one speaker remains very weak compared to other.

I tried connecting speakers to main zone but still the same issue. Reversed polarity but to no avail.

What do you think is going on here. Is there something wrong with amp? Any impedance setting issues? I have no idea where to start from.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Assume in mono the problem remains? If it's your amp you want to test, do you have other speakers to test with? Would assume it's the wiring if you've checked everything else but there may be some other device (switch or something) buried in the walls you don't know about...part of the problem with that kind of setup (a friend of mine bought such a pre-wired house and has similar issues in various rooms).

post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Is the problem with just one of the four speakers? If so, and if the speakers are okay, there's some kind of wiring issue, I'd suspect. Because whichever channel is driving that speaker, it's driving another just fine. That seems to indicate the amp is working correctly (it cannot send out a different output to one speaker than the other - - it's not that smart.)

If it's the left or right, check and see if you have a balance control for zone 2. Maybe it's out of whack.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies!!

This is a little weird, I connected all zones through Monoprice 6 speaker selector, if all zones are running then everything sounds good and balanced. As soon as I turn the volume down on one zone everything goes off balance, the more zones I disconnect (read turn the volume down) more off balance things get.

In the end if only one zone is running with all other zones off, the running zone is completely off balance. As I increase the volume in other zones, things get better. When all zones are running on full volume everything is fine. I am suspecting my amp is screwing up stuff here.

-P
post #5 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsbe View Post

Thank you for your replies!!

This is a little weird, I connected all zones through Monoprice 6 speaker selector, if all zones are running then everything sounds good and balanced. As soon as I turn the volume down on one zone everything goes off balance, the more zones I disconnect (read turn the volume down) more off balance things get.

In the end if only one zone is running with all other zones off, the running zone is completely off balance. As I increase the volume in other zones, things get better. When all zones are running on full volume everything is fine. I am suspecting my amp is screwing up stuff here.

-P

I'd suspect the Monoprice selector first...but I'd connect another set of speakers up to test the amp in any case.

post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I'd suspect the Monoprice selector first...but I'd connect another set of speakers up to test the amp in any case.

+1. I suppose it's possible that the left channels are in series rather than parallel, which could cause this kind of problem, although I'd think turning one down would turn all down and turning one to zero would turn all to zero. At any rate the amplifier can't see feel taste or smell the monoprice deivce (or the speakers for that matter) so if it has appropriate output under one set of conditions the problem is in the changed conditions, not the amp . . .
post #7 of 7 Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

It took me a while to get the set up fixed but here I am.

Connected a pair of polk monitor 60 that I had lying around and they sounded perfect with the amp and the speaker selector. While I still don't know what is wrong I have found a work around. If I keep the volume at maximum (for in wall volume control) everything works fine. I am using the phone app to control everything and now managing the volume control from the app itself, this is a little annoying but works well.
I think there is something with the wiring that is not correct, either a short of reversed polarity.....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page