Worth it to upgrade my receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have about a 7 year old Yamaha 5.1 receiver with no HDMI. It has regular DTS and Dolby Digital. And my speakers are Energy 5.1 Take Classics. I am considering if it is worth it to upgrade to a new reciever with HDMI and DTS Master and DD-TrueHD. I am looking at this receiver Sony STR-DN1030 for $398. It seems to be well reviewed. Is it worth it? Is there a better cheaper receiver that would work as well? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I just did about the same thing only with Onkyo receivers. I think it was worth it and could have saved about $150 if I had upgrade first rather then doing work-arounds with an HDMI switch and splitter, analog to digital converter. Take a look at accessories4less.com for great deals.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Phil17108. I'm not to worried about the HDMI switching. My tv has plenty enough HDMI ports to allow all of my components (Computer, PS3, Media player, Wii U) to connect to the tv with HDMI. Mainly i'm just interested in sound quality. The HDMI from the receiver is only a nice addition.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 03:33 AM

I'm not trying to hijack ur thread but figured would be better to post here rather then start another thread with the exact same question. I apologize if this is considered poor form and if so pls have a mod delete my post.

so my set up is:

p65vt50 tv
pioneer elite vsx o1 receiver
Martin Logan fronts center and sub
various other components like roku n blu ray but not relevant to this question.

I route all components to the receiver and then run one hdmi cable to the tv.
99% of my useage is tv n blu rays.

I've had the receiver for about 5-6 yrs and I've been extremely satisfied with its performance but I'm wondering if its time for an upgrade. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate a good sound (I love my 3.1 set up the room literally shakes when the sub hits) so I'm wondering if I would notice a significant improvement with a new receiver or if what I have now is doing everything I could hope for with my set up.

any advice greatly appreciated and again I hope posting this isn't uncouth. I'm new around here and dunno the etiquette so no harm intended just didn't want to clutter the forum with another "help me with my receiver question" thread.

cheers.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkahless View Post

Thanks for the reply Phil17108. I'm not to worried about the HDMI switching. My tv has plenty enough HDMI ports to allow all of my components (Computer, PS3, Media player, Wii U) to connect to the tv with HDMI. Mainly i'm just interested in sound quality. The HDMI from the receiver is only a nice addition.

What I do is have everything in the walls so I run just one HDMI (25) foot from the component rack to each of the 2 TVs, thats the why of the switch and splitter. After the upgrade did not need. There is one other plus to the getting a new receiver, Lossless audio from Blu-Ray that only comes over HDMI via the AVR. So there is a benefit to the upgrade, now much is up to your ears.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk21 View Post

I'm not trying to hijack ur thread but figured would be better to post here rather then start another thread with the exact same question. I apologize if this is considered poor form and if so pls have a mod delete my post.

so my set up is:

p65vt50 tv
pioneer elite vsx o1 receiver
Martin Logan fronts center and sub
various other components like roku n blu ray but not relevant to this question.

I route all components to the receiver and then run one hdmi cable to the tv.
99% of my useage is tv n blu rays.

I've had the receiver for about 5-6 yrs and I've been extremely satisfied with its performance but I'm wondering if its time for an upgrade. I'm no audiophile but I do appreciate a good sound (I love my 3.1 set up the room literally shakes when the sub hits) so I'm wondering if I would notice a significant improvement with a new receiver or if what I have now is doing everything I could hope for with my set up.

any advice greatly appreciated and again I hope posting this isn't uncouth. I'm new around here and dunno the etiquette so no harm intended just didn't want to clutter the forum with another "help me with my receiver question" thread.

cheers.

If you are happy with the system don't fix what isn't broke. About the only thing that I would do is add rear surounds for a 5.1
post #7 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 PM

ya the only question is if the newer models with the Audyssey XT32 have much crisper dialogue during loud/chaotic action scenes.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordkahless View Post

I currently have about a 7 year old Yamaha 5.1 receiver with no HDMI. It has regular DTS and Dolby Digital. And my speakers are Energy 5.1 Take Classics. I am considering if it is worth it to upgrade to a new reciever with HDMI and DTS Master and DD-TrueHD. I am looking at this receiver Sony STR-DN1030 for $398. It seems to be well reviewed. Is it worth it? Is there a better cheaper receiver that would work as well? Thanks!
Newer receivers with advanced room correction software such as Audyssey can improve sound quality. And HDMI adds convenience. But, the high bitrate lossy outputs on Blu-ray rival lossless in quality, so I would not buy a new receiver just for that feature. I'd pass on the Sony as it does not have Audyssey.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

The sony has its own version of the Audyssey but perhaps its not as capable. Do you know of any receivers with Audyssey that would be in the $300 to $450 price range?
post #10 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Sure. Look at Denons and Onkyos. Pioneers and Yamahas also have their own calibration software and they have models in that price range.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 15
Denon 1713 is a great avr. Ir comes with audyssey multyEQ XT and zone 2 preouts. Yamaha 473 is another great avr that rivals the mentioned Denon
post #12 of 12 Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up ordering a Denon 1913 but they canceled it on me as they ran out of stock. So I ended up ordering the 1713 for $50 less. Which is good because I discovered the 1713 has the more advanced Audyssey calibration than the 1913. So hopefully that is worth it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page