How bad of an idea is this setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55

Will having the receiver setting directly on top of the sub potentially vibrate solder joints loose inside the receiver?

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Not a good idea any way you look at it. eek.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Its a very bad thing. What about heat dispersion? That thing is going to cook in there.
post #4 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the backside of the unit. It's in a closet in a basement that stays cool. Is heat still a concern? This is my first time going down the home theater road; so I openly admit my experience is limited.

RC-64 Center, RF-7 Fronts, RF-82 Sides, RW-12D, QTY=2, RSW-15, RS-52ii Rears, Pioneer SC-1522-K, Panasonic 65VT60, 65"
post #5 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
With that open area in the rear, I'm sure heat won't be too terrible, but there's no way I'd want my receiver sitting on top of the sub, being constantly, shook and vibrated.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 15
Yeah, with the back open like that the heat shouldnt be a problem. I assumed it was closed off. But still, putting it on the sub isnt a great by any means.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Liked: 17
I would try to rig up a shelve that would be above the sub for the receiver to sit on. Maybe you could have it attached, hanging down, to the sloped ceiling in the closet

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #8 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
If you haven't already, suggest you do a "Sub crawl" to determine if there is a more ideal location for the sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M

If you determine it's better placed elsewhere than use the current "hole" for a shelving setup of multiple components in addition to the AVR to possibly include a BDP and/or cable/sat box.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #9 of 20 Old 04-07-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugger View Post

Will having the receiver setting directly on top of the sub potentially vibrate solder joints loose inside the receiver?

If anything rattles lose then you have faulty equipment. Having your receiver on top of your sub is no different then putting it on a shelf next to it.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and hung it from the slopped ceiling and now there is very little vibration as compared to before when it was resting on the sub.

post #11 of 20 Old 04-08-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez82 View Post

If anything rattles lose then you have faulty equipment. Having your receiver on top of your sub is no different then putting it on a shelf next to it.

Really? You don't think having a receiver directly on top of a sub could create a problem quicker than it just being near the sub? You'd call the receiver faulty if something inside of it broke loose after a few months of sitting directly atop a sub? Really?

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Really? You don't think having a receiver directly on top of a sub could create a problem quicker than it just being near the sub? You'd call the receiver faulty if something inside of it broke loose after a few months of sitting directly atop a sub? Really?

Do you have any evidence to back up the claim that having a receiver on the sub is as bad as you say? Or is it just opinion? I've had my receiver on my sub for long enough to know it's more than safe. And I've known a few others that have the same experience.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

No, I have no evidence. However, common sense would say, having a sensitive electronic device with tons of small circuit boards, capacitors, glass fuses, and other circuitry inside of it, sitting on top of a sub, constantly slamming out heavy vibrations, certainly can't be the best idea in the world. You could store a stack of dishes on top of your sub too or some glassware... Would it break or damage anything? I don't know... maybe not... but does it seem like a good idea? Again... I don't know...

Quote:
post #14 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not trying to take sides but here was my biased reasoning or excuse for doing what I did originally. I was hoping the receiver would be designed to take a certain amount of vibration since it was designed to have two large subs within a certain distance. I'm guessing the receiver is CE certified which sometimes on some level is subjected to a vibration test. Also, I was hoping since the sub has an amp and LED display with circuitry the circuitry in the receiver would be fine. Who knows if the receiver is designed to handle the same vibrations but a simple move proved to decrease the vibration dramatically.

post #15 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:

No, I have no evidence. However, common sense would say, having a sensitive electronic device with tons of small circuit boards, capacitors, glass fuses, and other circuitry inside of it, sitting on top of a sub, constantly slamming out heavy vibrations, certainly can't be the best idea in the world. You could store a stack of dishes on top of your sub too or some glassware... Would it break or damage anything? I don't know... maybe not... but does it seem like a good idea? Again... I don't know...

If receivers where that fragile they wouldnt make it to the store or to your door. The only bad thing about having a receiver on top of the sub is it looks tacky.

post #16 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM

Liked: 11
You should relocate the sub to a corner of the room and build a custom AV stand for the hole in the wall.

post #17 of 20 Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:

Just out of curiosity, how much more intense are the vibrations an avr may receive with it being placed on top of a sub vs. on a shelf about 2 feet from a sub (as is in the case of my set up)?

I would think that the receiver would be fine atop the sub, though I have never needed to place mine there. The only way i think it might be harmful is if you have a lighter weight sub on a wooden floor that likes to dance around when pumping out the low notes. The receiver could then be sufficiently jarred affecting its performance or longevity.

In my room listening to bass intense content at higher spl levels i can feel a certain amount of vibrations pretty much affecting every thing in the room, from the sofa, to the walls, to the lamp, to the pictures hanging on the walls (been known to knock a few off here and there) to the tv and audio stand etc. FWIW, my room isn't treated (yet) so the level of vibrations affecting everything in the room may be exaggerated to some extent.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #18 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Lev Arn View Post

You should relocate the sub to a corner of the room and build a custom AV stand for the hole in the wall.

Thanks for the picture, that is nice work. That was exactly what that hole was put there for but until I can afford a wireless sub attachment, that's its home. It helps hide the wires and keeps the kids out of them.

post #19 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Just out of curiosity, how much more intense are the vibrations an avr may receive with it being placed on top of a sub vs. on a shelf about 2 feet from a sub (as is in the case of my set up)?

I would think that the receiver would be fine atop the sub, though I have never needed to place mine there. The only way i think it might be harmful is if you have a lighter weight sub on a wooden floor that likes to dance around when pumping out the low notes. The receiver could then be sufficiently jarred affecting its performance or longevity.

In my room listening to bass intense content at higher spl levels i can feel a certain amount of vibrations pretty much affecting every thing in the room, from the sofa, to the walls, to the lamp, to the pictures hanging on the walls (been known to knock a few off here and there) to the tv and audio stand etc. FWIW, my room isn't treated (yet) so the level of vibrations affecting everything in the room may be exaggerated to some extent.

You're correct, would the receiver be OK? Maybe, probably. I just don't see how anyone could think it's an ideal spot, with all the vibrating and rattling. A few feet away is one thing, but right on top of it? Just don't seem ideal to me.

Quote:
post #20 of 20 Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Quote:

Whether any of it matters depends on the sub and how you use it.
Quote:
I would think that the receiver would be fine atop the sub, though I have never needed to place mine there.

My DVR is currently sitting on top of my sub and has been there for about 6 months. The worst thing about it is that it rattles when I run some of my bass test tones.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page