Recommendations for a new HT Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-08-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all. Been a while since I've been very active here, since my HT setup has been pretty stable for quite a while. I currently have a Denon 3803 with Klipsch speakers all around (RC-7 center, RF-5 towers, RS-35 surrounds and RCW-5 rears. Replaced my dead Sony SXRD with a 60 in Sony LCD and now, I have had to pull it all apart due to a recent flood in my HT room. mad.gif While rebuilding, I think I would like to uncomplicate my cabling life, and provide a nod to more recent technologies available (internet based as well as IOS) and upgrade my receiver. Would really like to keep things under $1,000 and under $750 would be even better. I typically am listening at "reasonable" sound levels for both music and movies, but one concern is that my wide has had increasing difficulties picking up dialog. No particular allegiance to brand. My dated Philips Pronto 3000 will probably need to take a hike but that was a nice way to control my Lutron dimmers in the room as well as the rest of the gear (BD player, Denon CD,etc).

I had Jeff Meier out to tune the video, but his capabilites to have an effect on the sound portion were limited with my current receiver. It sounds as though there are reasonable options with respect to DIY sound tuning that are very attractive to me. As nice and inttelligent as Jeff is, I would like to avoid the expense of him traveling here yet again!

Any advise / guidance will be greatfully received. My days of scouring this board and hoping to keep up with the mass of information here are very limited.

Thanks very much!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

No one??
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCar View Post

I typically am listening at "reasonable" sound levels for both music and movies, but one concern is that my wide has had increasing difficulties picking up dialog.
This is the nature of wives -- I think they're typically more oriented to information and less to aesthetics. My wife stopped complaining about dialog years ago when I splurged on an Axiom M2i speaker (a budget quality speaker) for her center speaker.

It's hard to know what to tell you about upgrading. We all have different favorite AVRs and speakers. My current favorites are Pioneer AVRs and Axiom speakers.

Greg Lee
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Greg... and BTW, the wife is really not w i d e - that was a keystroke error and is not freudian in any way. I have looked briefly at the Pioneer Elite AVRs, and have had a recommendation to audition a couple of "older" receivers - specifically the Yamaha RX-A3000 or RX-V3900. So many choices - eek.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
For my money, the closeout on the Sherwood R-972 with Trinnov Optimizer is the best bang for the buck, bar none.

Trinnov is obviously the star here, and unfortunately I do not think we'll see the technology in any sub-$7000 device anytime soon.

The R-972 itself has decent hardware, although it has no online connectivity. On the other hand, I am yet to see a receiver that can come close to the functionality of simply having a $99 Apple TV attached to it, so it's no great loss.

But, as I said, Trinnov is really the star here and makes the R-972 a steal at less than $600.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 04:59 PM

Liked: 10
If you like Denon and you're not opposed to refurbs, Accessories4less.com has the 4311 for just over $1000 and it comes with a factory warranty. If you want to go a little cheaper they have the new Onkyo 818. Both have Audyssey XT32 as well as Audyssey DSX and DTS NEO X sound processing, plus all the connection options you could want. I'd also consider the Yamaha 3010 if you can spend a little more.

Good luck smile.gif

post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Liked: 10
I forgot to add, the Onkyo 818 is only $699

post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

I'll have to look into these recommendations. Thanks for the input. You guys are great!

Jeff
post #9 of 9 Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I kept reading and reading here, and lo and behold, I came across the threads on the Pioneer SC 1522 reveiver, and wound up going to Costco to get this unit at a tremendous price ($599). It will be a couple of weeks before my HT is back together and I am anxiously awaiting the day I hook this thing up to my current 7.1 speaker arrangement, and may even get a couple of more speakers to set up 9.1. Any suggestions on wide vs. height additions?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page