DOLBY PLIIx Movie on Pioneer VSX-822-K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone help/tell me how to get Dolby PLIIx Movie on my pioneer VSX-822-K receiver and if anyone could explain me what that is and does, i'd deeply appreciate.

i'm just new to this website and i have very little knowledge about av receiver and home theater set up. i recently purchase Pioneer VSX-822-K AV receiver and set up my first 5.1 home theater system. On the owner manual i saw "DOLBY PLIIx Movie" setting for watching movie but i couldn't switch on that setting on my receiver even though i press the button on the remote as shown in the manual. Please HELP!!!

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 741
PLIIx is a 6 or 7 channel format, not 5. You'll need to add one or two more speakers....

post #3 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you quick respond.

but on the owner manual it said i can get Dolby PLII Movie if my speaker setup is 5.1 channel and i don't know how to get that setting.
post #4 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

You first said PLIIx, now you just indicate PLII...not the same thing. For PLII, a 5 ch format, all you need is a stereo source. You sure you're following the speaker connection and setup procedures in your avr manual? Just what source are you using and how is it connected? Are you able to get 5 ch sound at all?

post #5 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

i thought PLIIx and PLII was the same when i post this threat. now i know it's two different things now that you clarified it. and yes i followed the instruction at least i think. i hook up 2 frond, 1 center, 2 back and a subwoofer to my avr and i can hear sound from all of the speakers if that what you mean by getting 5 channel sound at all. My BD player, cable sat-top box, x-box, Apple-tv, and Playstation goes to avr by HDMI cable and avr output to TV by HDMI cable.

Ps; i'm sorry if i didn't answer your question or give enough info coz i am really new to this area but i'm quick learner and i love to learn new things.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYNA View Post

i thought PLIIx and PLII was the same when i post this threat. now i know it's two different things now that you clarified it. and yes i followed the instruction at least i think. i hook up 2 frond, 1 center, 2 back and a subwoofer to my avr and i can hear sound from all of the speakers if that what you mean by getting 5 channel sound at all. My BD player, cable sat-top box, x-box, Apple-tv, and Playstation goes to avr by HDMI cable and avr output to TV by HDMI cable.

Ps; i'm sorry if i didn't answer your question or give enough info coz i am really new to this area but i'm quick learner and i love to learn new things.

Cool, sounds good. By setup I also meant running through the MCACC setup in addition to simply connecting the speakers. In any case sounds like you're okay, you do get PLII with various sources?

PS To answer your original question about PLIIx, it basically matrixes the rear surround channels from existing material, but you need to hook the speakers up and let your avr know they're hooked up before the avr will let you access that feature...

post #7 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

No sir! i do not get PLII with any sources and yes i did run MCACC setup as shown in manual coz i thought it was cool tech thing to do lolz...

if i understand you correctly, i can't get PLIIx unless i hook up 2 more speaker but i still can get PLII with my 5.1 channel setup, right?
The problem is i can't access PLII feature on my avr. why?

thank you for your explanation on PLIIx.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
PLII is a way to expand stereo sources to 5.1. If the source you are playing is already 5.1, then PLII will not be available. So, play something like a CD that you know is only stereo. Then you should be able to apply PLII to produce a 5.1 output.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

PLII is a way to expand stereo sources to 5.1. If the source you are playing is already 5.1, then PLII will not be available. So, play something like a CD that you know is only stereo. Then you should be able to apply PLII to produce a 5.1 output.

Ohhh.... that explains a lot and that makes much more sense about "Two channel source" chart on owner manual. thanks a lot...
post #10 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No sir! i do not get PLII with any sources and yes i did run MCACC setup as shown in manual coz i thought it was cool tech thing to do lolz...

if i understand you correctly, i can't get PLIIx unless i hook up 2 more speaker but i still can get PLII with my 5.1 channel setup, right?
The problem is i can't access PLII feature on my avr. why?

thank you for your explanation on PLIIx.

Actually you can get PLIIx with one more speaker, too, setup as a single rear (center) surround, or with two rear surrounds (6.1 or 7.1). You sure you can't get PLII when using a stereo source?

You might want to read a little about Dolby Pro Logic, the wiki article sums it up fairly well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Pro_Logic

post #11 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Actually you can get PLIIx with one more speaker, too, setup as a single rear (center) surround, or with two rear surrounds (6.1 or 7.1). You sure you can't get PLII when using a stereo source?

Good to know but i think i'm gonna stick with my 5.1 coz i've been reading other threat and thay mention that adding more speaker would reduce the wattage of existing speaker.(my avr supply 140w for each speaker and center speaker alone is 125w) i'm just curious tho, adding one more rear(center) surround would make any difference to my homethear experience?????

Yes, i can get PLII from stereo source( thx to BIslander for his help). i thought you mean Xbox, BD player, or PS3 when you say various source.( my lack of knowledge.. lol :P)

Ps; thanks for the link smile.gif
post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Good to know but i think i'm gonna stick with my 5.1 coz i've been reading other threat and thay mention that adding more speaker would reduce the wattage of existing speaker.(my avr supply 140w for each speaker and center speaker alone is 125w) i'm just curious tho, adding one more rear(center) surround would make any difference to my homethear experience?????

Yes, i can get PLII from stereo source( thx to BIslander for his help). i thought you mean Xbox, BD player, or PS3 when you say various source.( my lack of knowledge.. lol :P)

Ps; thanks for the link smile.gif

There's not a lot of advantage to 6 or 7 channels, especially as the majority of films are only in 5 ch anyways. Depends somewhat on your room and speaker positioning as to whether that rear channel may add to your experience or not. It's more about what you want to do in any case.

I don't think you understand the rating of a speaker vs that of an amp in terms of wattage. Yes, additional speakers do tax an avr's amp more, but surround speakers don't take nearly as much power to run as your L/C/R speakers, and rear surrounds take less than the surrounds. There's little content in movies for the rear surround channels, fairly light load on your avr's amp in any case. Your avr may be rated for two channels at 140w/ch (at 6 ohms, at 1% THD and only at 1kHz). More meaningful rating is 80w/ch (at 8 ohm 20hz-20kHz @.08%THD) but again only for two channels. What speakers are you using?

post #13 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think you understand the rating of a speaker vs that of an amp in terms of wattage. Yes, additional speakers do tax an avr's amp more, but surround speakers don't take nearly as much power to run as your L/C/R speakers, and rear surrounds take less than the surrounds. There's little content in movies for the rear surround channels, fairly light load on your avr's amp in any case. Your avr may be rated for two channels at 140w/ch (at 6 ohms, at 1% THD and only at 1kHz). More meaningful rating is 80w/ch (at 8 ohm 20hz-20kHz @.08%THD) but again only for two channels. What speakers are you using?

See!! i still have a lot to learn.. i'm using monoprice 5.1 hometheater set . So, do you think adding one more rear surround wouldn't jeopardize my avr or sound quarlity???
post #14 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

No, I think you'll be fine. One thing about amps and speakers is to use your ears, don't turn it up so loud that you get audible distortion, it's distortion that's a speaker killer. Search the forums for amps watts vs speaker watts or similar....

post #15 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks lovinthehd... i'll look into that..
post #16 of 16 Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Don't bother with a single rear speaker. Go 7.1 or stick with 5.1.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page