Multizone with Airport Express - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for the best way to set up 4 separate rooms (2 passive in ceiling speakers each) that I can separately control with my iphone/ipad. Sonos is great but expensive. My idea was to have 4 separate airport expresses (one per room which is how I would control each room independently) and pair with a multizone amp. Would that work? The airport expresses would always be in powered up so, if I selected one to play music in a room, would that turn on the amp or is that always on too? Would I be able to control volume from my iphone? If the airport express idea wouldn't work, would a sonos solution solve the problem? Sorry if this is naive, but I don't know much about these kind of setups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Four APE's would work, but why send wires back to a single multizone amp? Whether they turn on the zones or not depends on the amp. Your iDevice or Mac will control volume. No idea about Sonos.

What I do for audio outside the living room is use a small amp in the zone with an APE. The Parasound Zamp has signal-sensing turn-on, and has worked well for me. I'm sure there are other options, too. Some may be cheaper and just as good.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #3 of 3 Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. So four separate AEs attached to four separate mini amps (like a T-amp)? Could I drive 4 speaks off of one mini amp if I decided to add another set of speakers in one of the rooms (since it's a big room)?

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on in ceiling speakers, that would be great. I need to replace a few of them. I'm not looking for thumping, super high quality sound, just something good.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page