Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
fg3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love to get your all's opinion on this:

I'm building a new house and will be putting a front projection system in the finished basement. It is an open multiuse space, including a bar, tv/movie wathcing area, card table, etc. I'm struggling selecting either a receiver or preprocessor/amplifier. Specifically, I'm looking at the Marantz SR7007 or the Outlaw 975/7125 combo. To me, the Outlaw seems like the obvious choice, however my fear is that without Audyssey or other auto calibration / EQ I'll never be able to tune the system to it's fullest potential.

Here's the rest of my planned setup:

Panasonic AE8000U projector
Dragonfly 120" Acoustiweave Screen
Definitive Technology UIW RLS II Left/Center/Right
Definitive Technology UIW RSS II Left/Right Surround
EIther Definitive Technology SuperCube 4000 or Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Sub

Sources:
Sony PS3 for Blu-ray
DirecTV Genie
Apple TV 3

Mentally, here's where I am - if I get the Marantz, I'll run Audyssey, let it do it's thing and be happy with my system, but will be second guessing myself for paying around the same money for a receiver when I could have got separates with a real 125W/channel. If I get the Outlaw, I'll be second guessing my config the enitre time, possibly never getting the system sounding as good as it possibly could.

By the way, I'll be running a 5.1 setup and do not care about the additional features of the receiver like Airplay, networking, control from iPhone app, etc. I'm really looking for the best sound and punch while watching movies.

So... what would you do, and why?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 221

Not a lot of help however I tried out a SR7007 (at $1,268) and found it no different than the SR6007, SR5007 or similar Denon models. So unless it has features you want the others don't you could probably save some money. I do love its cosmetics and they are worth a few bucks for sure.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
fg3

bump. Anyone faced a similar decision or have any advice?
post #4 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
fg3

Ok. One more bump. Anyone? Really looking for some thoughts on higher power/quality without Audyssey/room eq. versus a receiver with.

FG3
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg3 View Post

I would love to get your all's opinion on this:

I'm building a new house and will be putting a front projection system in the finished basement. It is an open multiuse space, including a bar, tv/movie wathcing area, card table, etc. I'm struggling selecting either a receiver or preprocessor/amplifier. Specifically, I'm looking at the Marantz SR7007 or the Outlaw 975/7125 combo. To me, the Outlaw seems like the obvious choice, however my fear is that without Audyssey or other auto calibration / EQ I'll never be able to tune the system to it's fullest potential.

Here's the rest of my planned setup:

Panasonic AE8000U projector
Dragonfly 120" Acoustiweave Screen
Definitive Technology UIW RLS II Left/Center/Right
Definitive Technology UIW RSS II Left/Right Surround
EIther Definitive Technology SuperCube 4000 or Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX Sub

Sources:
Sony PS3 for Blu-ray
DirecTV Genie
Apple TV 3

Mentally, here's where I am - if I get the Marantz, I'll run Audyssey, let it do it's thing and be happy with my system, but will be second guessing myself for paying around the same money for a receiver when I could have got separates with a real 125W/channel. If I get the Outlaw, I'll be second guessing my config the enitre time, possibly never getting the system sounding as good as it possibly could.

By the way, I'll be running a 5.1 setup and do not care about the additional features of the receiver like Airplay, networking, control from iPhone app, etc. I'm really looking for the best sound and punch while watching movies.

So... what would you do, and why?

Thanks for your help!

I would wait till you are ready to buy--a while out if you haven't even started the build yet. In the meantime I would try to connect with someone who has a system with Audyssey so you can try the system EQ'd vs. unEQ'd. Some here seem to live and die by EQ while others don't use it at all. It seems if this wasn't important to you your decision would be made?

B.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-16-2013, 09:20 PM

Liked: 11
I went through similar conundrum. I looked at the outlaw stuff and the price was right, but feature set... maybe not. I am a calibration nut (my wife calls me Garrus at times, for those who get the reference). Despite that I felt I wanted to try Audyssey . I decided to go with the SR5007+amp (for my fronts only for now), I haven't finished fiddling with the system, but so far the results are great. That AVR has full pre-outs, while it is almost at the price level of the 975. It has all the apps/dlna/airplay going on as well which I find I like a lot. The system can be powered down (in standby) and my wife can start a pandora stream via iphone/pad from the pool deck playing only in zone2 - "pool". I like being able to save a config before I mess around with settings then restore it after I'm done "calibrating". I was really waiting for the 975 -it seems like I was waiting for years, when it arrived to me it seems like too little too late.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 05:10 AM

Hi Aboman

I read your post and wonder if I should go for a lower SR+amp but would like your opinion based on my needs below.

I am considering buying the SR7007 to playing media from different sources to zones 1 and 2.

For example, movie at zone 1 and music at zone 2. Both could be taking the content from my NAS? Will it still work? Or movie from BR player at zone 1 and music from NAS at zone 2.

Appreciate any advice...
post #8 of 8 Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 AM

Liked: 56
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Sr7007 Home Theater Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr7007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page