How long will a amp work for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm looking to upgrade to seperates. Been looking at new/used amps (2,3,5,7 channel). How long do they typically last? I have found a used one that seems to be a good deal but am worried that it'll only work for a few months and then crap out on me.

I've never bought HT amps before, bought alot of car audio and just did the basic checks. What should I look for on a used amp?

The amp I found is a Emotiva LPA-1. What would be a fair price for it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

I'm looking to upgrade to seperates. Been looking at new/used amps (2,3,5,7 channel). How long do they typically last? I have found a used one that seems to be a good deal but am worried that it'll only work for a few months and then crap out on me.

I've never bought HT amps before, bought alot of car audio and just did the basic checks. What should I look for on a used amp?

I have a 60 wpc 2 channel basic amp (actually several of them from different manufacturers) that are maybe 40 years old and still meet original spec on the test bench with zero maintenance.

That all said, what powers the speakers in my main listening room is an AVR. I should probably sell off all those old amps and put the money into room acoustics upgrades.
steve71 likes this.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Good quality amps will last over 20 years. One of mine was powered up for 99% of its 22-year lifetime. Until a thunderstorm did it and several other things in. Two others have about 20 years on them now and have been powered up and down several thousand times each.

"Most people would die sooner than think, in fact they do so."  Bertrand Russell The ABC of Relativity, 1925

Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Oh wow, I didn't realize they lasted that long. So when buying a "used" amp, what should I look for?

Thank you for the replies.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 51
One of the safest buys are used Bryston amps. Brand new they have a 20 year warranty. You can find used ones that still have 5-10 years on them. The warranty is transferable which makes it a pretty safe purchase.smile.gif
Old 04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
As long as you pay it?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though- I bought a used Parasound amp 15 years ago. I am still using it and it has never failed me.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The capacitors will go bad eventually, most caps are rated at 2000 hours for a certain temperature (say around 80C) but will last twice as long for every 10 degrees cooler it runs. Basically, put some fans over your amps and they might outlast you. Run then in a small cabinet with no ventilation and they will die within a few years.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Heat, dust and humidity will cause the main problems over time.
Heat because it will reduce the service lifetime (temperature stress) of passive, especially electrolytic capacitors, and active components.
Dust because of clogging of openings / heat sinks and boards, This will increase further if there are smokers around or other sorts of aerosols in the air.
Humidity because it will enable contact corrosion over time and enable growth of all sorts of fungi if high over prolonged periods of time.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

One of the safest buys are used Bryston amps. Brand new they have a 20 year warranty. You can find used ones that still have 5-10 years on them. The warranty is transferable which makes it a pretty safe purchase.smile.gif

At Bryston's prices you can buy a number of amps with the same power and SQ, and just throw them away when they break. ;-)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I have a Parasound amp that I've used daily for 17 years.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
Old 04-15-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm new to this whole amp addition in home theater, so I really am learning alot. How are the older Emotiva? The one I listed above the seller is asking $450. Good deal? I spoke with Emotiva and they said to just buy a 3 channel (XPA-3). Am I better off just spending some more cash on a amp?

The speakers I'm looking at getting, I emailed them and they told me to go with Marantz over Emotiva. I'm not sure why? and asked why they said use them over another, all they said was better SQ.

Thanks again for all the advice, really appreciate it.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 152
My vintage Yamaha amps were made in the early 80's. They are still going strong. Amps with an AVR as a preamp is a nice cost effective way to go. Preamps need to be changed with new formats being developed and increase connectivity. One can also spend less on the avr this way.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 04-16-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

At Bryston's prices you can buy a number of amps with the same power and SQ, and just throw them away when they break. ;-)
Yeah the price is higher. But you can get a 10yr old amp w/still 10yrs on the warranty. If you decide to sell you'll also have a higher resale value. One interesting amp on Audiogon that I saw was a Rotel RB-956. Which was my first amp. Very versatile. It can work as a 6 channel amp or bridged in a 3 channel mode. Not a super power house but should work for average setups. Price is about $160.smile.gif