Marantz nr1603/1604 or sr5005 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy a new 7.1 receiver for my 7.1 speaker system consisting of 2 Monitor Audio BR2 speakers and the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 package (4 sattelites, 1 centre, 1 sub).
I was looking to get the slimline Marantz 1603 or maybe wait for the 1604, but I discovered that the older SR5005 sells in my country for about the same price as the NR1603. I will use my receiver mainly for music, but also for movies and gaming. I don't care for airplay because I don't own an Apple device. I know that the SR5005 sports double the power of the NR1603, but I don't think it will affect me that much because I won't be listening at huge volumes.
I don't really have space constraints, so I don't care about nr1603's slimline appearance.
I only do care about the sound quality, but I couldn't find anywhere someone comparing these 2 receivers directly (or any other slimline vs 5005).
In theory, maybe, the 5005 should sound a little bit better due to the fact that it is positioned more on the higher end of Marantz's line of products than the slimline receivers are, but I have absolutely no clue, to be honest.
Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
these are the products in question:
1. http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductId=SR5005
2. http://us.marantz.com/us/products/pa...oductId=NR1603
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 05:11 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
They both use Audyssey MultEQ so it depends on whether you want the Networking on the 1603 or not (aside from Airplay). It also features a full set of main zone pre-outs as well as Zone 2 pre-outs whereas the 1603 only features FL/FR pre-outs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That is actually not true. Both feature audyssey multiEQ, not multiEQ XT. I don't really know the difference between the two. I, also, am not clear about what the pre-outs do... How would they benefit me if I have 2 monitor audio br2 and 5.1 monitor audio vector. Thank you for the quick reply.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 06:00 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Oops. was looking at the 7005 specs so yes, they do both have the same version of Audyssey so then choose the model which best meets your feature/input/output requirements.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page