Emotiva amp connected to my Yamaha AVR, would this help any? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 66 Old 05-25-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post

Hi Bill, Jason, Don & everyone else

The above leads in well to something I've been thinking about for a while (as I do!)…

I agree that the points being made will, in all likelihood, not hit the mark. Indeed, even if your efforts do happen to strike a chord, we're unlikely to get any acknowledgement of a softening of attitude because the individual has clearly hitched his wagon to "da power" identity. He won't want to give that up because it's how he defines himself at the moment. It's who he is. He's also clearly enjoying winding people up.

Believe it or not, I see a glass-half-full side to this though… think of it this way: for every one of us that regularly post here, there's probably a hundred (who knows?) members and guests that are silently following along; observing, reading, learning, reflecting. (I was a daily visitor here for two years before signing up and making my first post.) My suggestion is that, as long as this individual continues to post about his undying devotion to "da power", we have a rich vein of raw material with which to counter with rational, scientific argument. This particular individual my not acknowledge learning anything at all, but hopefully countless others following along will be soaking up the exchanges and learning a bit.

The proceeding all sounds very nice and altruistic doesn't it? I do completely understand if you fellas are just sick of the whole business, particularly if you've been personally insulted in the recent past.

Best of luck to you all! smile.gif

GIEGAR,

You make excellent points all around, thanks for being a voice of reason smile.gif.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 66 Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpalmieri1203 View Post

I actually really appreciate posts by folks like Bill. I just moved up to Tower speakers and for some reason got the idea in my head that I'd need an Amp to do them justice.

Thanks to the carpet bombing advertising Emo does I nearly purchased one! Thanks to those who are actually providing useful information. I saved a huge chunk of change.

mpalmieri,

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words smile.gif. But I learned this information (about amps) from those far more knowledgable than me. That is what is great about AVS in that we learn quite a bit then pass it on to others.

I'm glad that you tried your new towers without an amp first to see if your AVR has enough power. It doesn't cost anything to do that and in the process you saved a few bucks smile.gif. What tower speakers did you buy?

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #63 of 66 Old 05-25-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

mpalmieri,

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words smile.gif. But I learned this information (about amps) from those far more knowledgable than me. That is what is great about AVS in that we learn quite a bit then pass it on to others.

I'm glad that you tried your new towers without an amp first to see if your AVR has enough power. It doesn't cost anything to do that and in the process you saved a few bucks smile.gif. What tower speakers did you buy?

Bill

I purchased a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers from a fellow forum member. I have a Horizon on the way this Friday!

I've always had bookshelf speakers and just assumed when I stepped up one day I would totally need an Amp. Really not the case though for my listening space or speakers.

post #64 of 66 Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I purchased a pair of Ascend Sierra Towers from a fellow forum member. I have a Horizon on the way this Friday!

I've always had bookshelf speakers and just assumed when I stepped up one day I would totally need an Amp. Really not the case though for my listening space or speakers.

The Ascend Towers are an excellent speaker smile.gif. The Horizon is an excellent center and I hope you have a stand big enough to support it eek.gif. I know two AVS members that have the Towers and the Horizon that are using the Denon 4311. They have no issues powering the Ascends without an external amp.

Bill

post #65 of 66 Old 05-25-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

The Ascend Towers are an excellent speaker smile.gif. The Horizon is an excellent center and I hope you have a stand big enough to support it eek.gif. I know two AVS members that have the Towers and the Horizon that are using the Denon 4311. They have no issues powering the Ascends without an external amp.

Bill

In my current space it'll effectively be sitting on an entertainment center/bench.

When it goes into my new home though I will need to find some type of stand.

Thanks again for your insight. Lots of people follow these threads that don't necessarily post.

post #66 of 66 Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

Quote:

Bill

In my current space it'll effectively be sitting on an entertainment center/bench.

When it goes into my new home though I will need to find some type of stand.

Thanks again for your insight. Lots of people follow these threads that don't necessarily post.

This is a very satisfying outcome. smile.gif Job well done Bill and others.

mpalmieri1203: Congratulations and I trust your new system provides many years on enjoyment. You've made great choices.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Upa 500 Five Channel Power Amplifier , Yamaha Rx A820 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver , Emotiva Upa 700 Seven Channel Power Amplifier , Cambridge Audio Minx S325 V2 Home Cinema System , Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 5308ci Receiver , Mitsubishi Hc7900dw Home Theater 3d Projector , Skyfall Blu Ray , The Expendables 2 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Skyfall by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page