Which is the Best Option? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Thanks for the tip. I just created the message.
yw I dont know why I didnt think of it sooner.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Bond 007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

There's just too much denial, misinformation and disagreement among people in this hobby that it's hard to decide who to believe.

What is there about the technical posts with facts and figures that keeps them from being more credible to you?

Sighted evaluation, which IME should be immediately consigned to the circular file.
arnyk is offline  
post #123 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 AM
Member
 
darenwh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would suggest you take your speakers to a few high end HT stores and hook them up to a few different systems, both receivers and seperates, so you can hear exactly what the differences will be. This way you can purchase what sounds best to you. Of course, they still won't sound as good at home unless you get some audio treatments for the room but at least you will know what sounded best in the show room.

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
darenwh is offline  
post #124 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

What is there about the technical posts with facts and figures that keeps them from being more credible to you?
Sighted evaluation, which IME should be immediately consigned to the circular file.

Mind expanding on the last part?

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
post #125 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 PM
 
deltadube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Quote:

How does this compare with the Emotiva amp? Would I need to buy a pre-amp to go along with a monoblock amp? Would the cheapest one they have for sale be enough?

well ive never heard there products or used there services.. so i dont know...

i can recommend emo..

i would think with all the award on there site they make good products as well they are a bit more expensive than emo..

cheers..
deltadube is offline  
post #126 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 PM
 
deltadube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Posts: 1,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

What is there about the technical posts with facts and figures that keeps them from being more credible to you?
Sighted evaluation, which IME should be immediately consigned to the circular file.

Mind expanding on the last part?

audio is very subjective Roman.. we all hear a lttle different.. perhaps why so many opinions eh..

separates and the ability to grow cant beat that to start out..

800 bucks you got great sound

ps that sale ends tuesday

cheers
deltadube is offline  
post #127 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Member
 
gostillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
He can spend $500 less and get sound just as good. This is for a 2.0 bedroom setup with bookshelves. Going separates for this use is EXTREME overkill. I'm sure Delta, that even you know that electronics are on the lesser side of importance compared to room treatments and speakers. What are you going to say next, tell him to bi-amp?

Roman: The other guy a few posts up had a great idea about taking your speakers to a good store to demo some different setups. There are several people on here trying to help by giving options with different brands, features, etc, while explaining the reasons. There is also another poster on here who blindingly pushes one brand, and says things that well...make zero sense.

Another thing you can do is order the Emo setup, and either borrow or buy a receiver. Test them out and keep the one you prefer. Return shipping wouldn't cost much. Also, Emotiva has their summer sale around July with usually bigger discounts.

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
gostillerz is offline  
post #128 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostillerz View Post

He can spend $500 less and get sound just as good. This is for a 2.0 bedroom setup with bookshelves. Going separates for this use is EXTREME overkill. I'm sure Delta, that even you know that electronics are on the lesser side of importance compared to room treatments and speakers. What are you going to say next, tell him to bi-amp?

Roman: The other guy a few posts up had a great idea about taking your speakers to a good store to demo some different setups. There are several people on here trying to help by giving options with different brands, features, etc, while explaining the reasons. There is also another poster on here who blindingly pushes one brand, and says things that well...make zero sense.

Another thing you can do is order the Emo setup, and either borrow or buy a receiver. Test them out and keep the one you prefer. Return shipping wouldn't cost much. Also, Emotiva has their summer sale around July with usually bigger discounts.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose the Emotiva equipment is overkill and I got a bit carried away. I have started to look at receivers again and currently looking at an older Sony ES receiver and also looking at some newer receivers as well. The problem I have is there are so many different receivers on the market that almost seem similar from companies like Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. I want a receiver that's big and bulky so you know there's plenty of power under the hood.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
post #129 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Member
 
gostillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I suppose the Emotiva equipment is overkill and I got a bit carried away. I have started to look at receivers again and currently looking at an older Sony ES receiver and also looking at some newer receivers as well. The problem I have is there are so many different receivers on the market that almost seem similar from companies like Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. I want a receiver that's big and bulky so you know there's plenty of power under the hood.

It's definite overkill. A general rule is to spend twice as much on speakers as you do on a receiver or preamp/amp. Speakers and more importantly, the room have much more influence on the final sound than a receiver. I learned the hard way.

There's just not a huge difference between receiver brands. Pick the one that has the features you need, at a price you can live with.

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
gostillerz is offline  
post #130 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm leaning towards the Harman Kardon HK 3490 at this point. I just wish it was under $300 new on Amazon like it was a couple of years ago. It did get some good reviews from what I've been reading.

How legitimate is the following site?:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/hk-3490

Also, here's a Youtube video of someone with the same speakers as mine using the Harman Kardon HK 3490 receiver. I know it may be hard to tell through video, but how good would you say the sound is using this receiver? What are indicators that a sound is good or bad? I'm no audiophile at this point so I'm asking in the same way as someone without car knowledge asking a mechanic whether their car sounds good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwJO097rI0

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
post #131 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Glenn Baumann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanBlade86 View Post

Thanks for the advice. I suppose the Emotiva equipment is overkill and I got a bit carried away. I have started to look at receivers again and currently looking at an older Sony ES receiver and also looking at some newer receivers as well. The problem I have is there are so many different receivers on the market that almost seem similar from companies like Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon. I want a receiver that's big and bulky so you know there's plenty of power under the hood.


RomanBlade86,

I have sent you a PM!
Glenn Baumann is offline  
post #132 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 PM
Member
 
gostillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Impossible to tell with YouTube. Audioholics is okay, but the best reviews you'll get are where there are a lot of user ones (like amazon), but pay more attention to the middle of the road ones, not the one or five stars to get an accurate idea.

My front speakers originally were something like $1000 each. They got discounted down to $300. The point is that they're still worth $1000 to me, regardless of the current market price. The H/K would be a good choice even if you can't get it as cheap as it once was. It was discontinued, people found out how good it was, and demand went up. That's just how it goes.
RomanBlade86 likes this.

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
gostillerz is offline  
post #133 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostillerz View Post

Impossible to tell with YouTube. Audioholics is okay, but the best reviews you'll get are where there are a lot of user ones (like amazon), but pay more attention to the middle of the road ones, not the one or five stars to get an accurate idea.

My front speakers originally were something like $1000 each. They got discounted down to $300. The point is that they're still worth $1000 to me, regardless of the current market price. The H/K would be a good choice even if you can't get it as cheap as it once was. It was discontinued, people found out how good it was, and demand went up. That's just how it goes.

That's good to know that it was discontinued and most likely brought back because of demand but going by Amazon reviews this receiver is nearly four years old and I would think it would be cheaper. I'm surprised that this receiver received so many reviews from users and most of them positive. Amazon's pricing is strange. The receiver is $406 on Amazon but a couple of days ago it actually went down to $355 and then shot back up to $406. It's in my cart so I'm watching whether the price drops down again. I would much rather own a brand new item rather than refurbished unit that Harman is currently selling on eBay for $300.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
post #134 of 137 Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Member
 
gostillerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd prefer a direct factory refurb if it has a warranty. If you buy a new, discontinued model from other than an a "approved" dealer, many times, the manufacturer won't honor the original warranty. Like I said before. On an assembly line, maybe 1 or 100 or 1 of 500 get QC checked. A refurb is repaired to original specs and tested for everything. Note that open box and refurb is not the same thing. Email H/K to make sure everything is on the up and up so to speak. If it is, I'd go for the $300 unit.

It's these cans! He hates these cans!
gostillerz is offline  
post #135 of 137 Old 04-23-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My main concern with the Harman Kardon 3490 is that there is no HDMI inputs and only an optical input. Will the sound suffer in movies and video games as a result? I want to get a receiver mostly for movies and video games and not music.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
post #136 of 137 Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Member
 
darenwh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'll say, for movies and video games, you sure are limiting yourself with a 2.1 system. Both of these media's are greatly enhanced with surround. FPS games are so much better as are many other games. Movies are so much more immersive with surround sound. Oh well, good luck on what ever you get.

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
darenwh is offline  
post #137 of 137 Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
RomanBlade86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darenwh View Post

I'll say, for movies and video games, you sure are limiting yourself with a 2.1 system. Both of these media's are greatly enhanced with surround. FPS games are so much better as are many other games. Movies are so much more immersive with surround sound. Oh well, good luck on what ever you get.

It's funny that someone on another forum just said the same thing and here was my response:

Well, to be honest, I'm not too big into the whole movie theater experience. A pair of solid speakers like the Bowers & Wilkins 685s will be more than enough for me personally. I have a relative that's into this whole thing and just recently spent $5K for only two speakers that look to be a bit over 6 feet tall. He also has speakers on his walls all around for the ultimate home theater experience. That's dedication for the home theater experience but frankly I'm not impressed with sound coming all around you. I prefer a good picture quality and good sound coming straight forward. I tested Robocop on Blu-ray using an old Sony receiver from 1997 obviously without HDMI and my B&W 685 speakers sounded great and I could hear the metal clanking with intensity and the sound was much more than I had hoped for. I can only imagine once I get something like the Onkyo 818 which has HDMI and Audyssey XT32 which should really make the sound shine and will be more than enough.

HDTV: Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685
Receiver: Sony STR-DA80ES
Blu-ray Player: Playstation 3
Power Center: Monster HDP 1800
RomanBlade86 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx 8050 Network Stereo Receiver Black , Denon Avr 5803 Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr809 , Onkyo Tx Nr818 , Denon Avr 4806 7 1 Audio Video Reference Receiver , Yamaha Rx A1020 7 2 Channel Network Aventage Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr809 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off