Newb questions that I'm not sure how to search for - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the past year. I have been very satisfied with my current "home theater" setup. It consist of my Mac, ps3, and hd cable box going through an Onkyo tx-n509 AVR outputting to a 42" Vizio flat screen. For speakers I have two JBL 46710Ks that I got cheap.

The problem is, two nights ago, I watched X Men: First Class. And my speakers were spitting out distorted sounds basically for the entire movie. Yuck!

At first, I figured that maybe it was because in the tone menu I had set bass to +8 because I like heavy bass. But even after I set it back to 0 it was still garbled crap. I did some research and I think it's because there's more ULF content than anything else I've ever played through my system? I think I verified this to be the problem because after I set the receiver to think I've got a subwoofer plugged in and setting the crossover to send all content below 40Hz to the non existent sub, my audio sounded perfect as far as distortion goes. The problem is, I'm now missing that chest thumping bass from big action scenes and such so I've decided I want to build a sub.

When I got the JBLs they came with three amps. Two JBL Urei 6260s and a 6290. I wanted to hook up one amp to my mains but as I understand it I need to figure out where to buy a speaker level to line level adapter? And I want to use the 6290 for whatever sub I come up with. I figure something around 1000 watts continuous should work well with the 6290?

What I've been looking at at this point is http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-472 installed in http://www.diysoundgroup.com/subwoofer-flatpacks-2/4-sub-flat-pack.html because it's an affordable solution. I don't think I can go much over $500 for the completed sub.

Also, I see people talking about how when they are setting up stuff with amps, they are turning their receiver volume to like... -35? How does that work when at least with my receiver, I start at 0 and can only go UP in volume? I started thinking it had to do with the bass and treble gain setting but I can only adjust those to +10 or -10. Some people seem to be setting their receivers to -20 and stuff? I assume that it's so they can start with a lower input to the amp so that the amp output is cleaner or something?

One more, I've read a lot of talk about people listening to movies "at reference". I take this to mean they set a baseline of 75db measured at the main or middle listening. Do most people just pick a point on their receiver's master volume and then adjust amp output to hit that 75db at that particular volume?

Thanks for reading my list of newb questions that I'm sure come up quite often. Oh, the room this would be going in is about 20' x 16' x 8' if that makes a big difference. It is the shared living room space that is open into the dining room off to one side.

Any advice, criticism, comments, or just BSing is welcome, talking about this stuff is fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
As an example, on Denon and Marantz AVRs, there are two volume scales .... (1) a "relative" scale (as in relative to reference volume of 0db) which goes from roughly -78db (lowest) past 0db (reference) on to a max of +18db, and (2) an "absolute" scale which simply goes from 0 to 99 where 81 would be considered "reference" volume. Although the test tones in these D&M AVR models is set to 75db, actual reference volume ranges from 85db - 105db (115db for the sub) such that "reference" volume of 0db would equate to roughly 85db and with someone listening at -20db, they are listening at 20db below reference (85db - 20db = 65db) or 65db on average. Adding a subwoofer with it's own dedicated amp would be a good start towards upgrading your setup.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 4 Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the driver and flat pack that I'm looking at be good to go for my goals or is there a better alternative in the same price range?

As far as the reference volume then, I find out what volume setting on my master volume equals reference and then just go off that? At least that's what I think I'm understanding. Thanks for your reply!
post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2013, 12:07 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked: 1523
Subwoofer related questions would be better asked in the Subwoofer forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/113/subwoofers-bass-and-transducers

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page