HDMI Auto switching to input signal from Dish DVR??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-19-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The problem: I want my Denon AVR-1612 to automatically switch surround modes based on the input signal over HDMI. My setup is pretty simple...Blu-Ray and Dish DVR, both connected to amp with HDMI.

Here's what happens: My Blu-Ray player is the default component for the AVR. Playing Blu-Ray works fine. However, if I want to watch a recorded movie from the DVR, and I switch the AVR input to SAT (DVR), it defaults to STEREO. When I play the movie, even though it has Dolby 5.1, the amp remains in STEREO, until I physically change the setting to Dolby.

I have followed the rather cross-complicated set-up in the manual. For watching regular Dish broadcasts, the amp will automatically switch to the available sound input coming from the Dish DVR....but, when I try to do the above operation, it doesn't work. A small irritation, but nontheless an irritation.

Denon says I have to set the amp manually. According to the manual and the automatic switching while watching regular broadcasts, I'm not sure they are right. Any help will be interesting and appreciated. Thanks.
crackerbarrel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,971
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
So if the DVR is confirmed to be sending out a DD 5.1 signal for movies, then simply change the STEREO setting to Dolby Digital and it should stay that way. Note however, that if the AVR doesn't show a 5.1 signal being input then the DVR is either set wrong or the source audio is only stereo.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My original effort was to set the decode setting to "auto," as opposed to "last used." It seemed to work, but the real issue is that the power on default start-up for the AVR is Blu-Ray player. As soon as I change the input to SAT (DVR), the display shows STEREO, because there is no audio input yet. But, when I start the DVR, the input does not change to Dolby, and remains as "stereo." A call to Dish confirmed that all of their primary movie channels use Dolby Digital 5.1, and if I go to a source, like broadcast TV through the DVR, it will change to Dolby, and when I return to the movie, it remains Dolby. I can live with it, but it just seems weird.
crackerbarrel is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,971
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Have you confirmed the signal actually changes from stereo 2.0 to surround 5.1 when the movie is playing on the DVR?

Menu ---> Information ---> Audio Signal ----> Format (p. 57 OM)

Does it say 2/0 or 3/2/.1?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ambiguous answer....yes and no. I watch a lot of older movies, especially like the 50's westerns, so I just assume these are stereo. However, for recent movies and particularly those that have lead-in screens that state HD and 5.1 audio, I assume those to be Dolby. There is no indicator on the Dish DVR, so I have to rely on the Denon display. However, when I force the setting to Dolby, the sound does come from all 5 speakers, and the TV speakers are automatically muted. I have the same issues with streaming, although I don't stream often, so to simplify the set-up, I use an optical connection from the TV to the amp. Even though the amp is connected with HDMI 1.4, the ARC function will simply not work with the Denon, without resetting several TV settings. I was bummed when I discovered that the Samsung TV can hijack the Denon, if the Samsung Anynet feature is on, which will override the ARC. Anyway, nothing is simple anymore! BTW, I love your ID and accompanying icon.
crackerbarrel is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 04-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
bizwiz41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerbarrel View Post

Ambiguous answer....yes and no. I watch a lot of older movies, especially like the 50's westerns, so I just assume these are stereo. However, for recent movies and particularly those that have lead-in screens that state HD and 5.1 audio, I assume those to be Dolby. There is no indicator on the Dish DVR, so I have to rely on the Denon display. However, when I force the setting to Dolby, the sound does come from all 5 speakers, and the TV speakers are automatically muted. I have the same issues with streaming, although I don't stream often, so to simplify the set-up, I use an optical connection from the TV to the amp. Even though the amp is connected with HDMI 1.4, the ARC function will simply not work with the Denon, without resetting several TV settings. I was bummed when I discovered that the Samsung TV can hijack the Denon, if the Samsung Anynet feature is on, which will override the ARC. Anyway, nothing is simple anymore! BTW, I love your ID and accompanying icon.

Are you sure the recorded media is in 5.1 format? I have read somewhere that the recorded media is in 2 channel mode. This makes sense as the storage requirement between 2.0 and 5.1 is huge. So, I think you may want to verify what the stored media (from the DVR) is formatted as.

If the Denon AVR is set to 'auto', then it is likely that it is not a 5.1 signal it is receiving. When you say "switch to Dolby", what does that mean? Are you sure that you are not switching to Dolby Pro Logic, hence then hearing audio from all 5.1 channels?

I would investigate the DVR stored media, and its audio format. I have a feeling your AVR is doing what it should be doing.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
bizwiz41 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not certain that the DVR output is 5.1, because there is no way to tell...other than believing what Dish tech support tells me. However, I think I see what you are saying about Prologic, which would come in on 2 channels. That would explain why I am hearing out of all speakers. In that case, what would the Denon display? Would it show STEREO or PRO-LOGIC? If it shows stereo, then you may have answered the question.
crackerbarrel is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
All of the Dish premium channels will be in 5.1. The output varies with the rest of the cable lineup. I don't have Hopper/Joey but I do have the older Dish ViP 722. The only audio option for that series DVR is Dolby Digital or PCM. Denon AVR shows both input and output audio, so a channel like HDNet Movies will vary depending on the movie but almost all Showtime/HBO stuff is in 5.1. Not sure about your Denon but mine shows the output audio information depending on what I have selected ( between DD, DTS, THX, or DSX. )

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

All of the Dish premium channels will be in 5.1. The output varies with the rest of the cable lineup. I don't have Hopper/Joey but I do have the older Dish ViP 722. The only audio option for that series DVR is Dolby Digital or PCM. Denon AVR shows both input and output audio, so a channel like HDNet Movies will vary depending on the movie but almost all Showtime/HBO stuff is in 5.1. Not sure about your Denon but mine shows the output audio information depending on what I have selected ( between DD, DTS, THX, or DSX. )

I have the Hopper and it is set to Dolby, and like yours, there are only 2 options. Generally, most Blu-Rays are DTS, and Dish is Dolby 5.1. That said, I can't think of a way to verify the input, other than the Denon display. When I turn the amp on, it defaults to Blu-Ray with Stereo sound, but when I watch the disk, it will switch. When I switch to SAT (Dish), it defaults to Stereo, but it will switch to Dolby when I watch network channels. The only time it doesn't switch is when I switch to SAT and play a movie. Denon says I have to press and hold "MOVIE" on the remote to get Dolby, but that just sounds wrong! biggrin.gif
crackerbarrel is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerbarrel View Post

I have the Hopper and it is set to Dolby, and like yours, there are only 2 options. Generally, most Blu-Rays are DTS, and Dish is Dolby 5.1. That said, I can't think of a way to verify the input, other than the Denon display. When I turn the amp on, it defaults to Blu-Ray with Stereo sound, but when I watch the disk, it will switch. When I switch to SAT (Dish), it defaults to Stereo, but it will switch to Dolby when I watch network channels. The only time it doesn't switch is when I switch to SAT and play a movie. Denon says I have to press and hold "MOVIE" on the remote to get Dolby, but that just sounds wrong! biggrin.gif

Is that switching to the BDP while still leaving the Hopper on? If that is the case, then that might be normal operation since the last signal being processed was for the Hopper. Having to press and hold " Movie " would make sense since that would pull up the mode stored when playing a disc. If it has something to do with watching On Demand or DVRed stuff on the Hopper, then it might have something to do with how the DVR portion is set up. The ViP I have will DVR stuff verbatim and doesn't down-convert audio or picture, at least that I'm aware of. I know TiVo has different levels of quality that reduce PQ and AQ.

As far as showing Stereo. My Denon AVR does this if either the BDP or Dish DVR is in standby. I'm using a Logitech remote to control everything so it turns on/off devices as needed when switching. I don't see the need to leave other devices on when using another device, so my input graphic is usually blank until I either load a disc or use streaming or the DVR. My output graphic and center part of the display will show whatever mode I have selected regardless of what the input is. The graphic on the left might only have two boxes lit ( for stereo ) but might display 9 boxes and show " Dolby Digital + DTS Neo.X " since that is the surround mode I use the most because it takes 2 to 7 channels of discreet and matrixes the Wide/Height channels.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Is that switching to the BDP while still leaving the Hopper on? If that is the case, then that might be normal operation since the last signal being processed was for the Hopper. Having to press and hold " Movie " would make sense since that would pull up the mode stored when playing a disc. If it has something to do with watching On Demand or DVRed stuff on the Hopper, then it might have something to do with how the DVR portion is set up. The ViP I have will DVR stuff verbatim and doesn't down-convert audio or picture, at least that I'm aware of. I know TiVo has different levels of quality that reduce PQ and AQ.

As far as showing Stereo. My Denon AVR does this if either the BDP or Dish DVR is in standby. I'm using a Logitech remote to control everything so it turns on/off devices as needed when switching. I don't see the need to leave other devices on when using another device, so my input graphic is usually blank until I either load a disc or use streaming or the DVR. My output graphic and center part of the display will show whatever mode I have selected regardless of what the input is. The graphic on the left might only have two boxes lit ( for stereo ) but might display 9 boxes and show " Dolby Digital + DTS Neo.X " since that is the surround mode I use the most because it takes 2 to 7 channels of discreet and matrixes the Wide/Height channels.

I don't have the DVR on, unless I am watching a live program or recording, and this would apply to my issue. My most common routine for watching a DVR movie is to turn the amp on...source is BDP/Stereo, I switch to SAT (DVR) and the amp displays SAT/Stereo. Then, when I start the movie, the amp remains in Stereo, unless I manually change it. If the input was ProLogic, I think that the amp would display that, but I'm not sure. I've double-checked the DVR with live broadcast, and it will switch between Stereo and Dolby, depending on which channel I tune.
crackerbarrel is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
jevans64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerbarrel View Post

I don't have the DVR on, unless I am watching a live program or recording, and this would apply to my issue. My most common routine for watching a DVR movie is to turn the amp on...source is BDP/Stereo, I switch to SAT (DVR) and the amp displays SAT/Stereo. Then, when I start the movie, the amp remains in Stereo, unless I manually change it. If the input was ProLogic, I think that the amp would display that, but I'm not sure. I've double-checked the DVR with live broadcast, and it will switch between Stereo and Dolby, depending on which channel I tune.

Have you tried turning off Auto Surround in your Audio Setup menu? You should be able to lock the receiver to using just one surround mode. Use Dolby Digital + PLIIc or x or z or try others to see what you like the most. There is also something in your manual about Surr. Parameter and being able to set Movie / Music to default to a particular surround codec. That is in the Audio Adjust menu.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
jevans64 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 04-24-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
crackerbarrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Have you tried turning off Auto Surround in your Audio Setup menu? You should be able to lock the receiver to using just one surround mode. Use Dolby Digital + PLIIc or x or z or try others to see what you like the most. There is also something in your manual about Surr. Parameter and being able to set Movie / Music to default to a particular surround codec. That is in the Audio Adjust menu.

Yesterday, I checked settings and fooled around a bit more with varied programs from the DVR, both live and recorded...AND, I couldn't get it to fail! I didn't change any settings, as I had the HDMI setting to decode audio based on the input. This makes me believe that if it is intermittent, I need look no further than Dish Network. Virtually all of their movie listings show STEREO, even though more recent movies are clearly Dolby. Now, I wonder if it is simply to cover their rear, just in case... Last night I watched a recorded submarine movie from 2001. I switched to SAT on the amp, which showed STEREO, but when I started the movie, it switched to DOLBY. After the movie, I waited to see what would happen, and sure enough, it switched to PLC. I'm going to give it some time to see how it goes, before trying anything else. I do appreciate your help. Thanks for hanging with me.
crackerbarrel is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off