Denon 3311 ci issues and repairs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi gang,

I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience as I have and what ultimately the outcome was.

I purchased a denon 3311ci in october 2010, this unit has a 3 year warranty. In year 2, the rear right speaker died. I thought maybe it was the wire or speaker as it was making a VERY loud crackling noise and sometime sounded like static - but it was SO loud. I turned off the unit and tried a different speaker... same problem. Different cables, same problem.

Off to local repair shop (I am in Alberta). They repaired it within a week or two and the unit worked for another 2 weeks and problem persisted.

I took it back, they repaired it again. This time when I brought it home, I plugged the unit into my upstairs home theatre room and took my yamaha receiver downstairs (where the denon used to be hooked up). About two weeks later, same problem. Rear right speaker making incredible noise (crackling and static).

Back to the repair shop. This time they sent it off to Denon Canada for repair. The unit was away for 3 months. It came back about 2 weeks ago. It was working fine but just today, it started to make very load noises again from the rear right speaker and popping (imagine turning the volume to full blast).

During it's time away, I purchased a pioneer to take it's place. It's been working fine (as was the yamaha).

The local service shop today gave me the phone number of service in Ontario and I will have to call on Monday. I am sort of lost as what the next step will be? It is still under warranty until October 2013 but I really don't have much faith that they will be able to fix it. It's already been 3 times into shops. I also have had it away for almost 4 or 5 months as it's been in shops.

This product has left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
Will denon likely offer a replacement unit or will they want to keep beating a dead horse?

Thanks.

gm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Contact Denon customer service and detail the history of the AVR. They should replace it, not repair it.

Oppo Beta Group
post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 10:14 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
AFAIK, anytime a repair is scheduled to take > 30 days, the repair facililty should offer a replacement/refurbished model as an alternative if they have one available. If none is available, then the facility should have checked with Denon for a refurbished unit to provide to you. And if Denon has none available, they would likely offer up a newer refurbished model (eg. 3312CI) in its place.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gents,

Well I will call the Canadian service number on Monday and hopefully they are open to the idea of a new unit. I have been pretty patient and given the repair shops a fair chance but it seems this is a lemon or beyond repair.

I hope that they are receptive to this.

Regards,

gm
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM

I had a similar experience with the 3311 I bought last January (2012). I had it in for repairs last October, and after taking the thing back to the warranty center two more times (after which they shipped it off to another facility) I only JUST got a replacement (a refurb 3313) this weekend. If you can avoid waiting six months to get yours replaced, I highly encourage you!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick follow up:

I called the Denon tech manager for Canada and he called me back the next day. I explained him my issues and he did express concern. One thought he had was that it may be a speaker issue that was causing the problem. This didnt make much sense to me as I had it happened after 2 years and the problem occured on two different speakers (Polk Audio and Totem Masks) using different cables and the problem persisted 3 times.

Anyhow, he arranged to have the unit sent back to Ontario for repair a 4th time. I did say that I was at this point getting a little frustrated and hoped a 5th repair would not be required. I did ask that if they had any doubt of repair or uncertainty if they could send me a different refurb unit. It arrived at Denon last Monday and I will follow up with them at the end of this week to see what the prognosis is.

I hope that they send out a different unit as this one I believe is a lemon.

gm
post #7 of 8 Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 120
4 times... confused.gif
They should exchange the unit...

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Follow up from Denon:

Well the unit arrived yesterday (May 23rd) from Denon after it's 4th time into a shop (two @ local repair center, two @ Denon Canada). It is the same unit but this time they did explain what repair work was done and that basically over half of the components were replaced.

--- Email from Denon
Our tech here has found the problem. To date had been replacing the HDMI BD which is where everyone thought the problem was. As it turns out the problem was in the amp circuit itself and measures correctly but breaks down under load. That is what makes it difficult to find.

Rather than replace the parts and take the chance of missing one, we have replaced the complete amp assembly. (about 60% of the insides). When the old amp assembly was put in another unit the problem was confirmed with the problem transferring to the other unit. (I was going to just swap the unit but yours was actually in better physical condition on the front.)

So hopefully this resolves my issue. I hope not to have to post another follow up on this as if I do, it will mean it crapped out again smile.gif Over six months of repairs and shipping, I will be happy if it now just works and at the end of day, I am content with the service provided by Denon.

gm
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page