Anyone ever compare Parasound Halo A21, 31, 51 to Odyssey Audio Stratos amplifier? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on a new Parasound Halo A51 amp. My current speakers are powered by an Odyssey Audio Stratos Stereo with the cap upgrade for the mains and an older Yamaha receiver being used as amp only (fed through the multichannel input) powering the center & surrounds. I have no doubt the Parasound will be a definite upgrade for the center and surrounds, but I'm wondering how it will be for the mains. Will it be a downgrade from the Odyssey Stratos, will it be somewhat similar?

Has anyone compared the Parasound halo A21, 31, or 51 amps to the Odyssey Stratos amps?

Speakers are Paradigm Signatures S1 x 4 and C1, and the Yamaha really didn't do the center speaker justice when watching movies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 126
No experience with the Stratos amplifiers..
But I can tell you the Halo amplifier is a great performer..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #3 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for that. I'm sure the Halo is solid, but I'm just wondering how it would compare to the Odyssey Stratos.

The review on this link is why I'm concerned:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1366208247&read

I have no doubt the Parasound will be an overall upgrade for the 5.1 HT experience, but I'm hoping it won't be a downgrade for 2.1 channel music.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtam2005 View Post

Thanks for that. I'm sure the Halo is solid, but I'm just wondering how it would compare to the Odyssey Stratos.

The review on this link is why I'm concerned:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1366208247&read

I have no doubt the Parasound will be an overall upgrade for the 5.1 HT experience, but I'm hoping it won't be a downgrade for 2.1 channel music.

Don't know why you are concerned...
Parasound has been producing solid, good-sounding amplifiers for many, many years..
Their design team is considered one of the best in the audio biz..
I put little weight in a single random comment on the internet...
Do some more research, you will find wide support & credos for Parasound amplifiers..

Just my $0.02... 👍😉
post #5 of 6 Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
When George Lucas, who can afford any amp in the world, chooses Parasound to be used at Skywalker Ranch, that should tell you something. Now whether Mickey decides to keep Parasound at the ranch is another story. We'll have to wait and see.

Seriously, the Halos are great amps. But it sounds like your hoping to find that one person who has owned both, the ID brand Odyssey and a Parasound and who has compared them. I would think findiing that rare person will be tough and it may end up being you. So if you buy both amps and do the comparison, let us know which one you end up keeping. I'll bet it will be the Halo. Happy listening!

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #6 of 6 Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 15
Might be too late here but I have owned a Stratos and the A21. There are many Odyssey fans out there, but the A21 is just alot better. The designer, John Curl, has made a superior amp in my opinion. I had many problems with three pieces I had from Odyssey. I had a Tempest preamp, a Candela preamp and a Stratos amp with red board. All had developed hum problems and with the Stratos and Candela a spurious noise that came and went from one channel. Many, many months went by and Klaus was very difficult to get ahold of to fix these issues. I ended up selling the stuff back to him at a big loss in $$$. Just digging through the posts on audiocircle.com (the Odyssey forum) will reveal these issues.

Even without the noise issues, the A21 was much better. This amp produces music effortlessly, without any strain. It was even better than the McCormack DNA-125 that I also owned for about a year.
Exist_To_Resist likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page