I had state-of-the art receiver 12 years ago but now I need to supplement and modify - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-21-2013, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I own a Yamaha RX-V1 receiver which was $4k back it's day circa 2001.

It's still a great amp but I'm growing out of it with different more modern needs.

I was thinking I could buy a new modern 5.1-Channel Network AV Receiver as a PRE-AMP and then use the YAMAHA RX_V1 as a POWER amp.

So, I'd get all the modern HT codecs, the latest Networking features like music streaming etc... and have loads of head room on the power side.

Not sure if my thinking here is right since I've been out of the AV game for song long.

I also am running (5) sets of speakers off the Zone 2 of the Yamaha RX-V1.

Anyhow, if anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be most appreciated.

Best,
bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM

Liked: 14
I think you should look at the Emotiva UMC-200. Most receivers don't work very well as pre-amps because their output voltage is on the low side, and it won't be as clean as you will find in a dedicated pre-pro.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I think your idea is a good one, keep the V1 as an amp. Not sure what jonfitch is talking about when he says "low voltage" as all manufacturers are required to keep HDMI output voltage within spec. If I were you, I'd get a new AVR with 4k pass through, which the Emotiva does not have. You don't want to be upgrading again in two years. The Yamaha Adventage 1020 is about $900 and it has the ability to send a 2nd source HDMI signal to another zone. So you could keep your V1 powering zone 2 while still getting 4k pass through to that location.

Good luck.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #4 of 4 Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm only sending AUDIO (music) signals in my ZONE 2 application. So, I do not need 2nd source HDMI signal to another zone. For me, it's all about listening to music in the backyard patio or garage, etc...

Interesting idea. That is using the RX-V1 as an amp for zone 2. I just wonder if that is overkill? I mean, I looked at HTD web site and they sell multi-amp/zone digital amps for less money and wondered about that route. Hell, I even thought of buying old 1970's Pioneer or Marantz receivers that have A/B/C paired speaker output selectors as an alternative route.

So my requirements are not too critical. I was hoping to keep the cost down as much as possible and keep the signal clean.

They way I have it wired right now is my YAMAHA RX-V1 ZONE 2 goes directly into my QSC USA 370 Pro Power Amp (125 watts at 8 ohms, 0.1 THD). From there, the signal goes to (4) pairs of speakers throughout the house which all have HTD rotary volume units installed that then distribute the signal to the speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page