Voices through my subwoofer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am a complete newbie to this area and have a few questions. Today through some of these posts I found that Jurassic Park is a great movie to test your system. I put Jurassic Park in and started to play it and noticed that I can hear voices coming out through my subwoofer. Basically during the entire movie I am hearing voices through the sub woofer. Which makes for a very annoying Movie experience. I have my subwoofer set at 60 Hz. I have my front speakers set as small because they are also a center channel as small. They are decent Yamaha speakers. My subwoofer is a decent Cerwin Vega a little old but decent. I fear my receiver is the problem. It is a three year old Sony STR-DE995. Is it normal to hear voices through your subwoofer? I disconnected all the speakers but the sub woofer and was able to hear the dialogue through the subwoofer. It's not completely clear but it does sound muffled as if you were hearing tabletalk through a wall.

I don't know what other info you might need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Tabletalk? Should be people talk.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Did you check your receiver's settings to make sure the crossover is set properly. You should not be hearing voices through the subwoofer. Most of the dialogue should be coming through your centre channel.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna1466u View Post

Tabletalk? Should be people talk.

IMHO, hearing voices and hearing dialog is not the same thing! tongue.gif:cool: wink.gifsmile.gif Kidding apart, can you try the test with 2-3 other movies as well and see if the phenomenon still exists?
post #5 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I found the solution. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I didn't get the alert that someone had replied. I had my receiver set to show the front, center and surround speakers as SMALL which sent audio to the subwoofer for some reason. As soon as I set it to LARGE the voices went away. I don't think this should have mattered but it did. I still think my receiver is not functioning as it should.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

I found the solution. Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I didn't get the alert that someone had replied. I had my receiver set to show the front, center and surround speakers as SMALL which sent audio to the subwoofer for some reason. As soon as I set it to LARGE the voices went away. I don't think this should have mattered but it did. I still think my receiver is not functioning as it should.

Well,...um,...that's not the solution. The reason to set all speakers to small is to redirect low frequencies below the crossover frequency to the subwoofer. Voices,...sorry,...dialog should never enter the sub.

I suspect someting with the JP recording media is wrong. Did you check my idea to test the case with other movies?

P.S. To understand Small vs. Large settings please read the blog in my sig.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I still think my receiver is not functioning as it should.
Setting the speakers to LARGE is not the solution. With the speakers set to SMALL (especially with a 60Hz crossover setting), you shouldn't really be able to hear intelligible (or even unintelligible) dialog coming from the subwoofer. Only with the deepest male voices would you expect to hear much reinforcement coming from the subwoofer and that shouldn't be very intelligible, if at all.

Consider resetting your AVR's processor. There should be some very brief mention of how to do this somewhere in the manual.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #8 of 8 Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This has happened to me on occasion with my HK 3600. It seems to be a stuck logic state. For me the resolution each time has been to momentarily switch inputs and switch back.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page