Onkyo TX-NR515 RIHD/CEC issues with Sony KDL-46NX810 TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my brand new TX-NR515 and loving it so far, except for the issue with CEC i.e. RIHD.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-46NX810 TV connected using the Main output from the receiver to the ARC input on the TV. I could not get the ARC working no matter what I tried. But that is not my major problem I am worried about since I hardly use the TV tuner or apps in the TV. And I have ordered an optical SPDIF cable which should help resolve the issue.

It is the CEC functions which stop working all of a sudden or do not work on startup at all. The RIHD function on the receiver does not detect the TV on power up. I've tried both powering on TV and receiver at the same time, powering one before the other, but nothing seems to get the CEC functional on startup. The TV always tries to switch to the TV speakers as soon as it does not find the receiver.

To get the RIHD working again:
- I need to go into Home -> Setup -> Hardware Setup -> HDMI -> RIHD - Turn it off
- Return all the way back out of the Home screen.
- Repeat the same steps again, turn RIHD back on, return all the way out of Home screen, then the receiver starts to search for the TV and detects it.

It looks like the receiver does not check for CEC periodically. I could not find any setting to control this behavior.

And sometimes in the middle of watching TV, TV and the receiver lose the RIHD sync, and TV switches to the TV speakers, while the receiver still uses the connected speakers.

One way I can work around this is, is to turn off RIHD completely, turn off audio over HDMI output. But I cannot use the TV remote anymore to control the audio and also any other CEC functions.

Any one know any solutions or at least direct remote key shortcuts to achieve the same steps I described above without entering into the menus ? Is any one else facing a similar issue with their TVs as well ?

BTW, I'm using the latest and greatest available firmware: Version 1161-0108-0400

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Same deal for me. The optical does care 5.1 same as the ARC with out the hasel of the setup. I went with optical for the same reson, have not used TV tuner or apps other then to make sure it worked. I have the firmware version 1141 and don't think I'll make any changes just yet. as for the CEC or what Onkyo calls RIHD, tryed it during set up, and have left that off. I have DirecTV DVR that does not use it and the TV comes on and is controled by Direct's remote. I have my 515 set up with the Audio Video pass through. I also found a box in the Manual that that states.

( After changing the settings of the “HDMI Control(RIHD)”, “HDMI Through” or “Audio Return Channel”, turn off the power on all connected pieces of equipment and then turn them on again. Refer to the user’s manuals for all connected pieces of equipment.)

Did so and have not had a problem other then some how pushing the wrong butten on remote, have found that by pushing the one on the fare left that is called reciver evrything works as I have settup.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up just getting an Optical Cable, configured Digital Audio Input for TV mode to OPT1, and use the TV mode when using the TV tuner or any apps on the TV.

Also turned off CEC i.e. RIHD, and just set the Audio Passthrough to OFF.

The receiver doesn't get powered on automatically when the TV is powered on, but I don't mind pressing 2 power buttons wink.gif

I wish Audio Return Channel and CEC were not tied-up together. I've seen many receivers tend to do it, even though they are separate features in the HDMI 1.4 specification.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr515 , Sony Bravia Kdl46nx810 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Ready Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page