Denon 4311 and SVS PB13Ultra owners please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone

I have recently purchased an SVS PB 13 Ultra too go with my Denon 4311, my room is aprox 2000Sq feet

The sub is place in a corner

I hooked it all up and followed the recommened settings by for SVS which is as follows

Volume -20
HIgh pass filter = Disabled
low pass filter = Disabled
Phase = 0
Hig pass delay = 0
Room compensation = Disabled
Subwoofer Tune @ 16Hz
PEQ1\PEQ2 =Disabled

I ran Audyssey on the Denon 4311

I played a few movies but one i am pretty familur with is Dark Night Rises, i found harldy any bass at the Audyssey volume level for the sub so i turned it up another 3db and still there was really not any reall slam and punch as has been discribed with this sub


Owners with the same setup could you please share your settings or tips and tricks fro this setup up


Thank you Dave
davesendor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
After running Audyssey on the 4311 did you set the speakers to small and turn Dolby Volume off?

******************

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
holt7153 is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi yes all speakers set too small and dolby volume is off
davesendor is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Mrkazador is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Member
 
david12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon 989 receiver and and a sb13,ultra and increased the volume of the sub until I was happy with the bass output.

-20 did not produce much bass and I think I ended up at -2 or -3. I used a radio shack spl meter to match it to my other non svs sealed 12" sub.


Dave
david12 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Do you have a SPL meter?

Hi yes i have a radio shack meter
davesendor is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by david12 View Post

I have a Denon 989 receiver and and a sb13,ultra and increased the volume of the sub until I was happy with the bass output.

-20 did not produce much bass and I think I ended up at -2 or -3. I used a radio shack spl meter to match it to my other non svs sealed 12" sub.


Dave

Hi after the Audyssey tune the sub was sitting at -7 and i upped it to around 0 and i am still not getting decent slam or thump out of it
davesendor is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250

Have you measured what kind of spl you are getting at your listening position? If Audyssey sets the sub trim at -7 then the sub gain is too high on the plate amp, needs to be turned down. Maybe you are not used to a flat freq response? You can try and enable Dynamic EQ, that will boost the lower frequencies if you don't listen at 0db.

Mrkazador is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 02:41 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,876
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesendor View Post

Hi after the Audyssey tune the sub was sitting at -7 and i upped it to around 0 and i am still not getting decent slam or thump out of it

You're likely more used to the boomy bass from a non EQ'd sub so the recommended advice is to give it at least 2-3 weeks to adjust to what the mixer intended you to hear (which many often do), and then after that period, if you still prefer boomy bass, simply raise the sub level as you have done using the AVR.

Also note there is a dedicated thread just for Denon 4311CI Owners for more helpful information .....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1274153/the-official-denon-avr-4311ci-avr-a100-thread-no-price-talk/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
 
9179mhb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 383
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesendor View Post

I played a few movies but one i am pretty familur with is Dark Night Rises, i found harldy any bass at the Audyssey volume level for the sub so i turned it up another 3db and still there was really not any reall slam and punch as has been discribed with this sub

My set up is different than yours but I am experiencing a similar issue. I received delivery of an SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer last week and it is connected to a Pioneer SC-07 AVR. I used the SVS default settings for the SB13 (e.g. Volume -20 dB) and ran Pioneer's MCACC calibration program, which set the sub's trim value to +9 dB. I own an Aperion 6T/6C w/surround speakers all set to small and the AVR's crossover frequency is set to 80Hz. Unfortunately, I am underwhelmed by the sub's output performance.

I suppose I should turn the sub's volume up and run the MCACC program again?

Your thoughts/input is appreciated, thanks.
9179mhb is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post


My set up is different than yours but I am experiencing a similar issue. I received delivery of an SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer last week and it is connected to a Pioneer SC-07 AVR. I used the SVS default settings for the SB13 (e.g. Volume -20 dB) and ran Pioneer's MCACC calibration program, which set the sub's trim value to +9 dB. I own an Aperion 6T/6C w/surround speakers all set to small and the AVR's crossover frequency is set to 80Hz. Unfortunately, I am underwhelmed by the sub's output performance.

I suppose I should turn the sub's volume up and run the MCACC program again?

Your thoughts/input is appreciated, thanks.

 

Yes, turn up the gain on the sub.

Mrkazador is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
datranz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: fontana, california
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sitting in a null. May need to move the sub around
datranz is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
SARHENTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a PB13 ULTRA and is a sweet sub. I have it connected to my YAMAHA RX-A3020 and I cannot be happier. After running YPAO and AS-EQ1 for 24 positions, the setting is 0dB on the AVR and -16dB on the ULTRA.
When I had a Denon 4311and an older 13ULTRA,my setting was 5dB onDenon and 11:00 o'clock on the sub. You might have to rerun audyssey a few times.
SARHENTO is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,876
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

My set up is different than yours but I am experiencing a similar issue. I received delivery of an SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer last week and it is connected to a Pioneer SC-07 AVR. I used the SVS default settings for the SB13 (e.g. Volume -20 dB) and ran Pioneer's MCACC calibration program, which set the sub's trim value to +9 dB. I own an Aperion 6T/6C w/surround speakers all set to small and the AVR's crossover frequency is set to 80Hz. Unfortunately, I am underwhelmed by the sub's output performance.

I suppose I should turn the sub's volume up and run the MCACC program again?

Your thoughts/input is appreciated, thanks.

Subs are generally very efficient which is why in most cases the AVR sets the sub to a large negative (eg. -12db) when the gain is set to about 1/2 of max. So as suggested either you're sitting in a null, or you didn't start with the sub set to 12 o'clock. You may also want to try doing the sub crawl to determine the best location for your sub.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

Have you measured what kind of spl you are getting at your listening position? If Audyssey sets the sub trim at -7 then the sub gain is too high on the plate amp, needs to be turned down. Maybe you are not used to a flat freq response? You can try and enable Dynamic EQ, that will boost the lower frequencies if you don't listen at 0db.
Hi sorry for the late respoce

I have not measured the SPL of the sub at my listening position,

Where i suppose where i am coming from is that i was lucky enough to have a Submersive 1 for about 6 weeks on loan until my PB13 arrived and noticed on the same passaages of movies like Dark Night rises there was not much bass on the PB compared to the Submersive and also even my previous Paradigm PS1200.

I do have Dynamic Eq enabled
davesendor is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 04-25-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You're likely more used to the boomy bass from a non EQ'd sub so the recommended advice is to give it at least 2-3 weeks to adjust to what the mixer intended you to hear (which many often do), and then after that period, if you still prefer boomy bass, simply raise the sub level as you have done using the AVR.

Also note there is a dedicated thread just for Denon 4311CI Owners for more helpful information .....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1274153/the-official-denon-avr-4311ci-avr-a100-thread-no-price-talk/0_100

Hi

I have had 3 different subs on the 4311 all running Audyssey and for some reason the PB13 putting out what i know it can
davesendor is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
davesendor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

My set up is different than yours but I am experiencing a similar issue. I received delivery of an SVS SB13-Ultra subwoofer last week and it is connected to a Pioneer SC-07 AVR. I used the SVS default settings for the SB13 (e.g. Volume -20 dB) and ran Pioneer's MCACC calibration program, which set the sub's trim value to +9 dB. I own an Aperion 6T/6C w/surround speakers all set to small and the AVR's crossover frequency is set to 80Hz. Unfortunately, I am underwhelmed by the sub's output performance.

I suppose I should turn the sub's volume up and run the MCACC program again?

Your thoughts/input is appreciated, thanks.

Hi,

I am glad i am not the only one with the issue

I have had it suggested to me when running Audyssey on the intital level checks where it asks to have the sub level at 75db, too actually run it at 80db instead and adjust via the AVR if needed after the calibration is done


Can you do the same with MCACC
davesendor is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Svs Pb13 Ultra

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off