Old Passive Sub + New Receiver = Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I tried posting this in another forum but I got no replies, so I am trying it here:

I just purchased an ONKYO TX-NR515 receiver as part of an upgrade from a Sony STR-K790 (cheap HTiB from 6 or 7 years ago).
I plan on waiting a month or so before buying new speakers, so for now I am using the speakers that came with the Sony. The problem is that the subwoofer is not powered, and I can not see any way of hooking it up to my new receiver.

I have read online that it may be possible to use a single rca cable to connect the pre-amp output of the new receiver with the "auxillary" input of the old receiver, but the only RCA inputs that the Sony has are "CD", "TV", and "SAT"; no Aux. I have tried all 3 but it doesn't seem to work.
Do I need a Y-splitter cable to connect the two subwoofer outs before connecting to the old receiver?
or does my old receiver simply not have the Aux input needed for this?

My other attempt to get my subwoofer working with the rest of the speakers was to connect my PC to both receivers at the same time (HDMI to new receiver, and Toslink to old receiver).
this would work fine except that it doesn't seem that I can output audio from multiple ports simultaneously in windows 7. Is there a way to make this work? Windows 8?

i'm going to be buying a new set of speakers with a powered sub in the coming months, so I don't want to spend much money on this temporary solution. but I definitely miss having a subwoofer right now. Please Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Does your subwoofer have a speaker-level inputs and outputs? Does it have a built-in crossover?
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Does your subwoofer have a speaker-level inputs and outputs? Does it have a built-in crossover?

The bad news is here:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HTDDW790.pdf

Passive subwoofer, and AVR with built in power amp to drive the same.

Best advice I have is to run right out and buy a good subwoofer such as the Polk PSW 505 as providing a suitable power amp for that passive subwoofer isn't worth the trouble. More subwoofer for more money: BIC Acoustech PL-200.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I have the 515 to and it is a 7.1 there is on thing you can try, set up your front speakers on the front hi out puts left and right, the sub to the front Left ONLY and then run the Audyssey set up. If the old sub has a cross over, you won't get all your bass but you will know it's there. If the sub over powers the sound of the rest that won't work. By the way accessories4less.com has onkyo 7.1 sets for 2 hundred bucks and anther for 3 hundred, both would work well.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I have the 515 to and it is a 7.1 there is on thing you can try, set up your front speakers on the front hi out puts left and right, the sub to the front Left ONLY and then run the Audyssey set up. If the old sub has a cross over, you won't get all your bass but you will know it's there. If the sub over powers the sound of the rest that won't work. By the way accessories4less.com has onkyo 7.1 sets for 2 hundred bucks and anther for 3 hundred, both would work well.

Connecting the sub and front left speaker to the same terminal could present the speaker outputs with adverse and unmatched impedance which may trigger the amp's overload protection. Also, the subwoofer would be fed a full-range signal which could result in poor sound quality.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 View Post

Connecting the sub and front left speaker to the same terminal could present the speaker outputs with adverse and unmatched impedance which may trigger the amp's overload protection. Also, the subwoofer would be fed a full-range signal which could result in poor sound quality.

If you had a 515 or at least looked at the owners manual online you would know that the speaker outputs for the rear surrounds and what onkyo calls the high fronts make up what is the 6&7 of the 7.1 and what I told the OP is to use JUST ONE of the actual front speaker outputs for the sub. Running the Audyssey setup will pick up what speaker is where and because the sounds wont produce the full 20-20 thousand HZ and the sub has a low frequency response capabilities and more then likely low bypass filter the OP can end up with something that can work in a limited way until he can get a real 7.1 system.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

Thank you all for the responses.

I just tried connecting the Sub to the Front Left speaker outs, and connecting the Front Left & Right speakers to the Front High/Surround Rear outs, then running the Audyssey auto setup.
The auto setup plays the subwoofer just fine, but ends with a speaker detect error:

Left - Error, Right - No
Surr. Left - ----, Surr. Right - ----
Front High Left - Yes, Front High Right - Yes
Surr. Back Left - ----, Surr. Back Right - ----
Center - Yes, Subwoofer - ----

Next, I am going to try putting the Front L and R speakers back into their proper outputs, and try the sub on the Front High Left.
EDIT: That did't work either.

Accessories4less is now bookmarked and I am starting to get a better idea of what my options are.
My plan was to purchase the 5.1 set from monoprice listed here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=3#specification because it seems to be a good value, and its in my price range. I am now comparing them with this set: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT870/Onkyo-SKS-HT870-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System-Black/1.html#!specifications . I could use some help determining the differences between them, or any other recommendations anyone might have.
From the specifications pages, I can see that the Onkyo has a bigger and more powerful subwoofer than the monoprice, but I don't particularly know how to compare the other speakers. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail the Potato View Post

Thank you all for the responses.

I just tried connecting the Sub to the Front Left speaker outs, and connecting the Front Left & Right speakers to the Front High/Surround Rear outs, then running the Audyssey auto setup.
The auto setup plays the subwoofer just fine, but ends with a speaker detect error:

Left - Error, Right - No
Surr. Left - ----, Surr. Right - ----
Front High Left - Yes, Front High Right - Yes
Surr. Back Left - ----, Surr. Back Right - ----
Center - Yes, Subwoofer - ----

Next, I am going to try putting the Front L and R speakers back into their proper outputs, and try the sub on the Front High Left.
EDIT: That did't work either.

Accessories4less is now bookmarked and I am starting to get a better idea of what my options are.
My plan was to purchase the 5.1 set from monoprice listed here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=9774&seq=1&format=3#specification because it seems to be a good value, and its in my price range. I am now comparing them with this set: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT870/Onkyo-SKS-HT870-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System-Black/1.html#!specifications . I could use some help determining the differences between them, or any other recommendations anyone might have.
From the specifications pages, I can see that the Onkyo has a bigger and more powerful subwoofer than the monoprice, but I don't particularly know how to compare the other speakers. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
At least you gave it a shot. Modern HT receivers were never meant to power a subwoofer.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

It was worth a try, the audyssey result was what I was thinking you would get but not the error on the front left. With Monoprice you can add the rear surrounds at a later date. The systems from Onkyo and Monoprice would be matched, or balanced. The Monoprice system, the more expensive of the 2, I understand is a lot like one from Energy. I think you would get a good sound from both.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page