Does AVR-3313CI automatically choose digital input for main zone when both digital and analog are connected? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be connecting a media player via both digital and analog - digital for main zone, and analog for Z2/Z3 monaural (one speaker each, of a pair, in two different rooms).

Does the AVR downmix a stereo signal to two mono signals?

Also, does the AVR know to choose the digital input for the main zone, or must I go into INPUT SELECT, and change it from AUTO to DIGITAL?

I'm know only the analog input will play back in Z2/Z3.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 View Post

I'll be connecting a media player via both digital and analog - digital for main zone, and analog for Z2/Z3 monaural (one speaker each, of a pair, in two different rooms).

I'm not sure what you are asking. Does the AVR know that there is only one speaker connected in each of those zones? No, it doesn't. There may be a way to set those zones to mono; I don't know. Otherwise, though, you will only be sending one channel of info to each of those zones; not a merged monaural signal.

Quote:

Also, does the AVR know to choose the digital input for the main zone, or must I go into INPUT SELECT, and change it from AUTO to DIGITAL?

You will assign one of the AVR's inputs ("DVD", for example) to the digital connection (COAX1 or OPT1, for example) when you set it up. And you can set that to AUTO. When you switch to "DVD" for the main zone, the digital connection will be used and it will detect it properly when set to AUTO. Likewise, you will assign whatever analog input you decide to use to Z2/Z3. "CD", for example. And your player should output both a digital and analog signal simultaneously, btw.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #3 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

I'm not sure what you are asking. Does the AVR know that there is only one speaker connected in each of those zones? No, it doesn't.
I believe it does. From the AVR-3313CI manual:

Z2/Z3(M) : Setting to assign the unit’s built-in power amplifier for ZONE2 and ZONE3 and output the audio in monaural.

As well, the image next to this setting in the manual shows a single speaker in each zone. So this setting seems to be used to tell the receiver there is only one speaker in each zone. So it will output in mono. My question is, if the signal input to the AVR is stereo, will the AVR downmix to mono? I would guess so.
Quote:

You will assign one of the AVR's inputs ("DVD", for example) to the digital connection (COAX1 or OPT1, for example) when you set it up. And you can set that to AUTO. When you switch to "DVD" for the main zone, the digital connection will be used and it will detect it properly when set to AUTO. Likewise, you will assign whatever analog input you decide to use to Z2/Z3. "CD", for example. And your player should output both a digital and analog signal simultaneously, btw.
So you're suggesting that leaving the default setting AUTO is fine, and it should work as I wish. I'm using Sonos, by the way.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

And, thanks for your reply, sivadselim.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My question is, if the signal input to the AVR is stereo, will the AVR downmix to mono? I would guess so.
OIC. Yeah, based upon your description of what's in the manual, I would think that is how it operates. I guess that setting could mean it will amplify a mono signal that comes into a single input (R, for example) in both the L&R channels. But if it shows a picture of a single speaker in both zones, I would think that it means it will downmix the stereo to a mono signal that can be used with one or two speakers per zone. Is there anything else in the manual about the mono setting? Are any of the analog inputs labeled R/mono + L?

Quote:

So you're suggesting that leaving the default setting AUTO is fine, and it should work as I wish.
yes

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #6 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is there anything else in the manual about the mono setting? Are any of the analog inputs labeled R/mono + L?
No, nothing else. The AVR may be summing the L and R channels, and outputting to the single speaker in Z2, and the single speaker in Z3. If you're interested, take a look at the Denon manual (download from Denon), and see page 103 (as indicated on the bottom of the page).
Quote:

Likewise, you will assign whatever analog input you decide to use to Z2/Z3
I don't believe the analog inputs are assignable.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't believe the analog inputs are assignable.
Not in the same way that the input device names (i.e. DVD, DBS, etc.) can be assigned to different COAX or OPT inputs, but when you set up Z2/Z3, you will be asked to assign an analog input to the extra zones in the user interface.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

when you set up Z2/Z3, you will be asked to assign an analog input to the extra zones in the user interface.
I assign either Z2 or Z3 or Z2/Z3(M) to the surround back speaker terminals. I'm using speaker output, not audio (pre-out) output. I could have 3 or 4 sources (connected to the AVR via analog) that I intend to output to Z2/Z3(M). I simply choose the Z2/Z3 input, and that's what I hear in Z2/Z3. Actually, there's not a Z2/Z3(M) input button on the remote. I guess if I choose either Z2 or Z3, it will output to Z2/Z3(M), as that's what the internal amp is set to.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I assign either Z2 or Z3 or Z2/Z3(M) to the surround back speaker terminals.
That's not what I am talking about

Quote:

I could have 3 or 4 sources (connected to the AVR via analog) that I intend to output to Z2/Z3(M).
Right. And you will have to tell the AVR which of those analog inputs you want sent to Z2/Z3. You have a choice. You can use one in the main zone but a different one in Z2/Z3. You'll see when you get in there. You set that in the Z2/Z3 user interface.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's not what I am talking about
Right. And you will have to tell the AVR which of those analog inputs you want sent to Z2/Z3. You have a choice. You can use one in the main zone but a different one in Z2/Z3. You'll see when you get in there. You set that in the Z2/Z3 user interface.
Right, I simply choose what input I want to play in Z2/Z3(M), and as I normally would choose what input I want to play in the main zone.

As I mentioned, the remote doesn't have a button labeled Z2/Z3(M), that I would use to choose the input I want to play. Therefore, I think the way it would work, but I don't know, is that I need to power on both Z2 and Z3 amps, as well as choose, for example, input BD for both Z2 and Z3. And since I assigned Z2/Z3(M), the output would simply be mono.

Heck, with this amp assignment selection, I should be able to output a different input in Z2 as from Z3, as from the main. Not sure until I try it. The manual doesn't say anything about playing back to Z2/Z3(M).
post #11 of 12 Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Quote:

Thank you.

Yes, a digital input will take priority over an analog input in the main zone while with the current Zone 2/3 (M) Amp Assign setting, a mono analog signal will go to each of the Zone 2/3 speakers. You will of course have to have Zones 2/3 powered ON.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owners linked in my sig.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #12 of 12 Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, a digital input will take priority over an analog input in the main zone while with the current Zone 2/3 (M) Amp Assign setting, a mono analog signal will go to each of the Zone 2/3 speakers. You will of course have to have Zones 2/3 powered ON.

Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX13 Owners linked in my sig.
Thank you.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page