First time receiver owner. Need major help, as the manual makes no sense to me - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry this took so long. I had to take my daughter to 2 birthday parties and just getting back. Here are the photos of what I have going on right now. DSC02772.JPG 2792k .JPG file DSC02773.JPG 2840k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02772.JPG (2.73 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02773.JPG (2.77 MB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You shouldn't need the rca's plugged into the tv/sat audio in or the yellow plugged into monitor out.

Perhaps turn on everything for cable viewing and take a picture of the front so we can see what listening mode is displaying. I know pictures are probably troublesome, but it's hard without visually seeing.
post #33 of 49 Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't think the GeekSquad guys are any better! I would say keep calm and go through stuff without getting discouraged. I know most receiver's users manual are very confusing. Most of the time the actual working of the system is simpler than the manual would indicate.

Like the previous poster indicated, no need to plug the RCA cables to stereo audio and video. Get rid of it. Let the connection be all HDMI. It looks like you have only one source which is HDMI. Is this true? You talked about cable box, so I assume it is connected to that. Then go to the menus of the cable box and make sure it has an entry for audio and that it does not have option checked for dolby down convert or anything like that. YOu want native audio from the cable box reaching the receiver.

If you have a bluray player, you will just connect its HDMI output to another HDMI input of your receiver.

If you are not getting Dolby Digital from one of your channels, try changing channels to some movie or network TV show or something to see if the receiver lights up the Dolby Digital icon. Also, if your receiver has speaker A and speaker B options, make sure only speaker A is selected. In my receiver, if I accidentally choose A and B, it only does stereo.

Good luck. I did not read the whole thread so I apologize if I repeated other people's suggestions.
post #34 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I have taken a break from it. But will try again in a few hours. I had the RCA's plugged in because it said that the HDMI wouldn't support analog for the setup screen on the tv. I'll try unplugging them and see if it'll work. Thanks everyone for your help! I may have more questions when I get going again! Lol
post #35 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Just curious but did you buy this used? The VSX-820 is from 2010.

Afro GT
post #36 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hi Jen
After reading through this thread, I have a few suggestions you could try.

1)I don't feel that you can not proceed until you have run MCACC and it has completed successfully. Does a sound come from each speaker including sub or does it stop on a certain speaker?

2) I would use a dvd player to troubleshoot sound output since they will all be at least 5.1. The dvr may or may not be outputting a 5.1 signal depending on content (ie comerrcials ) .BTW you dvr is a Motorola dcx3500m rebranded by Comcast.This is the manual for your dvr , see page 29 to access the advanced audio settings.

3)If the receiver is used , I would try resetting it to factory defaults. See page 74 of the user manual.
post #37 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenCarpenter View Post

I had the RCA's plugged in because it said that the HDMI wouldn't support analog for the setup screen on the tv. I'll try unplugging them and see if it'll work. Thanks everyone for your help! I may have more questions when I get going again! Lol

Hi JenCarpenter, you are right ... the VSX-820 requires a yellow RCA cable from "Monitor Out" to the LG LG 55LS4500 for OSD (to see the menu).

Your connection ... the cable (Comcast) box MORN200N to VSX-820 "TV/SAT" HDMI input, then connect a HDMI cable from receiver "HDMI Out" to tv HDMI IN 1. Select HDMI-1 as the input on the tv and TV/SAT as the input on the receiver. Make sure the receiver speaker is set to "SP>A" and not SP>B".
post #38 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Yes it is used. Should I restore it to factory setting? And then go from there?
post #39 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ya'll are awesome. Thank you so much for helping! I had all this stuff just a few weeks ago, but my boyfriend and I broke up and he took all his stuff when he moved out, so I had to buy new things to make it like it used to be. I have so considered calling him to help me set it all up. But figured that'd be silly. Thanks for all the help!
post #40 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 351
So what was wrong, did you need to do a factory reset?

Afro GT
post #41 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well I haven't done it yet. My daughter is up and I won't be able to get a thing done until she goes to bed. But I'm taking notes and am going to try a factory reset first thing!
post #42 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Jen , sorry to hear about your recent separation. Best if you can figure this out for yourself ,knowledge is power smile.gif Is the pioneer brand new or something acquired used.

Richard
post #43 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

It is used, but looks brand new. Haha even though I know the looks has nothing to do with it. I did a factory reset. And got it plugged back in. But I won't be able to try anything with it again until my daughter goes to sleep. I have learned SO much since the break up. So that is a good thing. I know all about speakers now haha. Just have to get this receiver thing under my belt. I've had a few guy friends try to help me and they've just sat back scratching their heads. I was the one who figured out how to hook it up and get it to the start up menu. So maybe once I get this thing figured out I'll be able to teach other friends how to work theirs, if they ever decide to get them. I just can't wait for it all to be up and running. Its so nice once you have it! Yet so frustrating getting there! I'm sure I'll be back on here tonight or tomorrow with more questions. Thank you all for your patience!
post #44 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ok the factory reset WORKED!!! Yes!! Thank you all! If only I had done that at first! Everything is fine! Only HDMI's in the back now besides the speaker wires and the sub plug. I have definitely learned a lot! Thank you! Thank you! Thaaaank you!
post #45 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Glad you got it working...now time to enjoy it!
post #46 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenCarpenter View Post

Ok the factory reset WORKED!!! Yes!! Thank you all! If only I had done that at first! Everything is fine! Only HDMI's in the back now besides the speaker wires and the sub plug. I have definitely learned a lot! Thank you! Thank you! Thaaaank you!

That does make sense on a used unit. Probably was set up for whatever it was hooked up to before with surround modes and assignments and such. I admit that I usually assume a factory reset is the first thing that was done. I usually don't recommend it because it essentially wipes out any changes made since it was bought. Glad it worked in your case. Now it is time to optimize speaker placement.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #47 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

I had no idea. Thats how new I am to this haha. I knew it was used but it came in the box and everything. I think it was a open box from a store or something. So idk. But its working now and thats all that matters!!
post #48 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Jen you can also hook up the cable from the receiver to the tv so you can use the on screen menu's. Glad you are up and running, good to see you persevere it gives one a real sense of accomplishment. Job well done

Richard
post #49 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 13
Glad you got it working.....
Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Where I work... www.rpm-psi.com
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 820 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page