Harmon Kardon AVR1700 sound garbled - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good evening all. I just got a used AVR1700. I have a left and right speaker (older MK satellites) attached. I have an HDMI source (DirecTV) and a CD player via the analog inputs.

Problem: The sound seems to be underwater or garbled. I have never heard anything like it. It moves up and down in a certain small range and sounds "garbled." If you raise or lower the volume on the AVR it does go up and down, but still "underwater" at all levels.

I am debating returning it to the seller (but I have to pay shipping) or taking it to a local authorized repair shop. Any ideas what this is? Cost for repair?

Thanks......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have repaired two of these and with one I had the same issue. Very low volume on the repaired channel and garbled.
I have replaced one of the transistors on the heat sink(small square, D600k) and the new transistor had a metal surface, which I haven't noticed at first, not like the original transistor, which had an all plastic casing.
I had to use a mica sheet between the heat sink and the transistor and after that it worked great.