The New Harman Kardon AVR 1510,1610, 1710 Receivers - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool My New AVR 1710 (upgrading from the AVR 1700)

Hey there!

BACK STORY: Last year we upgraded our TV to a beautiful 65" Panasonic Plasma and shortly thereafter, upgraded my trusty old Harman Kardon AVR 300. I loved that receiver. Simply loved it. I broke my heart to let it go, but it was starting to get an intermittent distortion issue in the surround sound. While it was hard to say goodbye to my old friend, it was exciting to finally be getting a modern receiver that could actually manage HDMI input.

Because I was so fond of my 300, I wanted to stick with the H/K brand and that brought me to the affordable AVR 1700.

While it was nice to have such a light component, I did find it's lack of weight to be disconcerting. The plastic build and buttons also seemed a bit cheap. And while while the sound quality was different, it was so clear and resonating and with the auto calibration, the surround was better than ever before. The thing was a steal at $300.

But 6 months later, all of the even numbered HDMI jacks went dead. The H/K customer support from India was a nightmare and so I took to Twitter and caught @HarmanKardon 's attention and my case was referred to someone in The States who was capable of working with me. To make a long story end, the 1700 has been discontinued and they are sending me the 1710 as a replacement! The 1700 was $300 when I bought it - the 1710 is $550 and is, among other things, a 7.2 receiver. This defiantly takes the sting out of my home theater being out of commission for a month.

THE POINT: I am eagerly awaiting next week's arrival of my new 1710, however, I'm worried about build quality. I'm also assuming it will sound identical to the 1700, but is that the case? Obviously, a movie that takes advantage of the 7.1 will be different, but what am I in for here? Any thoughts/opinions? It's not rated as high as the 1700 on amazon. You have this receiver what am I in for? What's the sitch? Should I sell it and get a different brand $500 receiver? Or is this the way to go?

Last edited by Tjiva; 08-27-2014 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjiva View Post
Hey there!

BACK STORY: Last year we upgraded out TV to a beautiful 65" Panasonic Plasma and shortly thereafter, upgraded my trusty old Harman Kardon AVR 300. I loved that receiver. Simply loved it. I broke my heart to let it go, but it was starting to get an intermittent distortion issue in the surround sound. While it was hard to say goodbye to my old friend, it was exciting to finally be getting a modern receiver that could actually manage HDMI input.

Because I was so fond of my 300, I wanted to stick with the H/K brand and that brought me to the affordable AVR 1700.

While it was nice to have such a light component, I did find it's lack of weight to be disconcerting. The plastic build and buttons also seemed a bit cheap. And while while the sound quality was different, it was so clear and resonating and withe the auto calibration, the surround was better than ever before. The thing was a steal at $300.

But 6 months later, all of the even numbered HDMI jacks went dead. The H/K customer support from India was a nightmare and so I took to Twitter and caught @HarmanKardon 's attention and my case was referred to someone in The States who was capable of working with me. To make a long story end, the 1700 has been discontinued and they are sending me the 1710 as a replacement! The 1700 was $300 when I bought it - the 1710 is $550 and is, among other things, a 7.2 receiver. This defiantly takes the sting out of my home theater being out of commission for a month.

THE POINT: I am eagerly awaiting next week's arrival of my new 1710, however, I'm worried about build quality. I'm also assuming it will sound identical to the 1700, but is that the case? Obviously, a movie that takes advantage of the 7.1 will be different, but what am I in for here? Any lights/opinions? It's not rated as high as the 1700 on amazon. You have this receiver what am I in for? What's the sitch? Should I sell it and get a different brand $500 receiver? Or is this the way to go?

I'm running my 1710 to a set of Boston Acoustics towers, heights and surrounds with dual 8 inch subwoofers. My ceilings are 25 ft, and the entire room is around 25x20. Its a large space and this receiver works wonderfully for my purposes. I rarely have it turned below 20 on the volume indicator. I have Never had a single issue with the unit and the built in Bluetooth has turned out to be a rather useful feature after all. The remote control is absolutely garbage but I use the Samsung remote and HDMI CEC so I rarely need it. The Dual HDMI out is useful as well, I'm running it to the 55 inch in the kitchen on a 25ft HDMI cable and it works fine. When I want to watch a 3d movie in the living room, I do have to unplug the 6 series in the kitchen or it will not allow me to run in 3D as it's detected as non 3D capable.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multi channel audio stuff

Hi guys, greetings from the rainy UK. Just purchased a shiny new 171, and I'm having some sepcific problems which may or may not have something to do with the receiver. I'm trying to play multi channel DVD-A and SACD from a Marantz UD5007, but not having any luck so far. I'm asking questions about the Marantz as well, but does anyone know if the 171 handles what Marantz calls "DSD" for multi-channel SACD output and "Multi Linear PCM" for DVD-A.

Many thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone,?? Please, someone tell me that this is not the case.

Many thanks
Old 12-19-2014, 01:33 AM

Sorry to repost, i made a mistake while posting.

What i meant to say is that i just got a AVR 171 and while everything is great so far (love my new toy) i can't seem to find both bass and treble settings. I also have a older AVR 255 that i'm used to play with those settings but to my despair the 171 is different i guess..

Help please
Old 12-29-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Universal Remote Support

You said you used the Samsung Uni Remote. My AVR1610 doesn't appear in their list. Which receiver settings did you choose when programming the remote?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booklas View Post
You said you used the Samsung Uni Remote. My AVR1610 doesn't appear in their list. Which receiver settings did you choose when programming the remote?
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can help with this query as I cannot seem to find the appropriate settings nor find an answer online. Basically what I want to do is have sound playing from all speakers when playing audio from chrome (eg: mixcloud, soundcloud, youtube etc). I think the issue is with settings in the Harman Kardon 151 AVR

Set-up:
ASUS Vivo HTPC running windows 8
Harman Kardon 151 AVR
Kodi media center

Using kodi I have stereo upmix selected therefore all 4 satellites + sub play audio when listening to stereo such as mp3 files. Passthrough is enabled for DTS/Dolby etc so all films have perfect 5.1 surround sound.

When using the analog input say direct from a phone or ipad, there is an option to select either 2 or 5 channel stereo. The 5 channel option plays through all speakers. However, when the source is the HTPC which is connected via HDMI, then in surround mode menu of the AVR, this option to select either 2 or 5 channel stereo is absent (as are various other "surround" modes). Thus, if the HTPC is the source and I'm playing audio via chrome as opposed to kodi, then only the front L/R + sub will play sound..

Anyone know this receiver well and can tell me if there is a solution?
Old 02-21-2015, 03:06 AM

sorry my bad, i hit quick reply. the above is just a general query regarding the harman kardon 151 AVR. Its got nothing to do with the quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quick question for all the folks who have a 1710. Will it let video pass through, but pick up audio? My AVR3600 Will not do this. If I turn passthrough on no audio plays? Why would they design it like that? Now that I have a 4k tv I would like to pass my bluray through the receiver (video) and have the capability for audio to play while it does the passthrough.

Samsung UN50HU6950 4K LED TV
Harman Kardon AVR3600
Martin Logan Motion LX16 X 5
JBL ES250PBK, Martin Logan Dynamo 300
Old 02-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Anyone?

Harman Kardon AVR3600
Old 02-28-2015, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
ok folks, i currently have th AVR1700 and it has been great, for the most part, but it's having some HDMI switching issues and the sound cuts out ocassionally when rw or ff DVRd content... can someone tell me if the 1710 woild be an upgrade? mine is still under waranty...
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman1000 View Post
ok folks, i currently have th AVR1700 and it has been great, for the most part, but it's having some HDMI switching issues and the sound cuts out ocassionally when rw or ff DVRd content... can someone tell me if the 1710 woild be an upgrade? mine is still under waranty...
I can't tell you as I never owned the 1700, but I have had my 1510,1610 and 1710 in continuous daily use for nearly a year and a half and I have absolutely no complaints.
diceman1000 likes this.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_5 View Post
Anyone?
I always assumed that was the point of "pass thru" to simply pass the signal thru untouched, which it sounds it is actually doing. Turning pass thru off would forward the video signal on to the tv and process the audio at the receiver. Am I missing something?
Old 03-09-2015, 05:31 PM

Yeah my understanding of what pass through was incorrect. I just got a 4k tv and I can't run a separate digital coax or optical to the receiver without losing bitstream (true HD, master HD, ect.) The receiver can only process Doblby Digital or PCM signals through optical or coax...hence why I was trying to get just audio through HDMI with video send straight to the tv through the receiver. So no down converting would be done to the picture. (future 4k player stuff)

Harman Kardon AVR3600
Old 03-09-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah my understanding of what pass through was incorrect. I just got a 4k tv and I can't run a separate digital coax or optical to the receiver without losing bitstream (true HD, master HD, ect.) The receiver can only process Doblby Digital or PCM signals through optical or coax...hence why I was trying to get just audio through HDMI with video send straight to the tv through the receiver. So no down converting would be done to the picture. (future 4k player stuff)

I'm not certain I understand why you can't simply run the HDMI to the receiver and the video HDMI out to the TV. The receiver is 4K capable, so it won't downconvert the video signal.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:56 PM

Well, my AVR 3600 isn't 4k compatible. Although I like it sooo much I wanted to stick with a HK product. So basically I was trying to see if the 1710 could do what I wanted it to.

Harman Kardon AVR3600
Old 03-21-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Well, my AVR 3600 isn't 4k compatible. Although I like it sooo much I wanted to stick with a HK product. So basically I was trying to see if the 1710 could do what I wanted it to.
Then that would be a yes, it can. (AVR 1710)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just picked up a 1610, for the guys that have been using them for a while, are there any issues? I ran EZ-SET, but might just do manual setup instead, as I find the bass is lacking.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-se View Post
I just picked up a 1610, for the guys that have been using them for a while, are there any issues? I ran EZ-SET, but might just do manual setup instead, as I find the bass is lacking.

Have been using the AVR 1610 in my bedroom without issue for a year and a half now.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post
Have been using the AVR 1610 in my bedroom without issue for a year and a half now.
awesome, I wanted to make sure I made the right choice, it was the 1610 or a Marantz NR1403. I've read the newer Harman Kardon stuff have quality issues, and I want a receiver that will last me many years.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp-se View Post
awesome, I wanted to make sure I made the right choice, it was the 1610 or a Marantz NR1403. I've read the newer Harman Kardon stuff have quality issues, and I want a receiver that will last me many years.

I have to say, I had the same experience with the EZ. I ended up manually setting my levels and I've been very, very happy with it. The true test for me was it's transparency, I set it up with a Samsung TV using ARC, STB and a Samsung Blu Ray player and it has functioned seamlessly enough that the wife has no issues with operation, and I'm away from home half the year.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Haven't posted here in a long time though I have been lurking.

I was using a Denon 2113ci which replaced my HK AVR247. I like the Denon and got it for features. The SQ is fine but after running it a few years, today I decided to break out the HK 247 just for the hell of it. While it is missing some of the later features and doesn't decode some of the more advanced codecs, it just blows the Denon away. I have to use it with my Harmony One as the remote is spewing IR that isn't something the HK like for some reason.

Now to the question. I'm looking to get a new AVR and am down to the HK 1710 or Pioneer 1124. I'm wondering how the 1710 compares to the 247. I know that the 247 only rates out at 50w/channel, but that is 20-20Khz all channels driven and I don't think the 1710 specs out that way, or any other modern HK for that matter.

I'm using an HDMI switcher because the 274 only has 2 HDMI ports and only passes through for 1080i/p. Works fine that way but the front panel doesn't show what is feeding it since I have 5 sources feeding 2 ports. And the OSD doesn't work real well with 1080i/p, switching out the source video and only showing the OSD.

Any feedback is welcome
Thanks
Lloyd

Lloyd
Old 04-17-2015, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post
Haven't posted here in a long time though I have been lurking.

I was using a Denon 2113ci which replaced my HK AVR247. I like the Denon and got it for features. The SQ is fine but after running it a few years, today I decided to break out the HK 247 just for the hell of it. While it is missing some of the later features and doesn't decode some of the more advanced codecs, it just blows the Denon away. I have to use it with my Harmony One as the remote is spewing IR that isn't something the HK like for some reason.

Now to the question. I'm looking to get a new AVR and am down to the HK 1710 or Pioneer 1124. I'm wondering how the 1710 compares to the 247. I know that the 247 only rates out at 50w/channel, but that is 20-20Khz all channels driven and I don't think the 1710 specs out that way, or any other modern HK for that matter.

I'm using an HDMI switcher because the 274 only has 2 HDMI ports and only passes through for 1080i/p. Works fine that way but the front panel doesn't show what is feeding it since I have 5 sources feeding 2 ports. And the OSD doesn't work real well with 1080i/p, switching out the source video and only showing the OSD.

Any feedback is welcome
Thanks
Lloyd

I used to have a 354 and upgraded to the 3700, you might be skeptical when you take the new HK out of the box as it is amazingly light due to switch mode power supply, my 3700 is somewhere around 20lbs. When I took it out I was thought this thing can't hang. To my surprise it sounds great, features are great, and runs my system great. I got an Emotiva XPA-3 amp 200w per channel, and notice 0 difference when powering my system with just the 3700 or with the Emotiva running the 3 fronts. I have very easy speakers to drive though.

I tried a Yamaha and did not like the sound compared to the HK for whatever reason.

Harman Kardon 3700 / Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Klipsch RF-82 II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II FH
Klipsch SS-1's
Klipsch R-112SW
Old 04-17-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the feedback.

My old AVR-247 is still working quite well, but some features are dated. I have the firmware update on it, so it does 7.1 just fine. The OSD works fine, though you either have to have the sources at 720p to see any of the OSD with the source material, that includes the volume indication. 1080p is only pass-through and doesn't use any of the video circuitry in the AVR.

Power rating as I said is 50W/channel 20-20Khz, all channels driven which means it doesn't look as powerful as the 1710, but probably is actually more powerful.

Now I've got to decide whether to spend the money or not...

Lloyd
Old 04-18-2015, 11:23 AM

Liked: 10
Confirm depth of AVR1610/1710?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could confirm the unit height and depth of the 1610 or 1710? It appears that both models have the same dimensions.

Reason for asking is that I'm seeing HK's website listing as 11 13/16" D x 4 3/4" H, which the product listing on crutchfield.com shows 13 5/16" D x 5 1/4" H. I'm working with a space that's only 6" high and 15" deep, so at the deeper measurement, it seems that I'd have trouble getting clearance for cables behind it. Wondering if one is chassis depth and the other is chassis plus needed cable clearance? Would very much appreciate a hands-on measurement.

Also, any other suggestions for AVRs that might fit the same space?

Link to crutchfield.com spec page here.

Last edited by rekoil; 04-19-2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 04-18-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb12679 View Post
I used to have a 354 and upgraded to the 3700, you might be skeptical when you take the new HK out of the box as it is amazingly light due to switch mode power supply, my 3700 is somewhere around 20lbs. When I took it out I was thought this thing can't hang. To my surprise it sounds great, features are great, and runs my system great. I got an Emotiva XPA-3 amp 200w per channel, and notice 0 difference when powering my system with just the 3700 or with the Emotiva running the 3 fronts. I have very easy speakers to drive though.

I just ordered an HK AVR-3600 factory refurb. Price was right, power was right and the versatility of the input/outputs is something I like. It has all the bells and whistles that I want and I have no need or desire to worry about it not working with 4K video since I have no plans to upgrade to that at all. My 73" Mitsi DLP will do for a number of years and I have 2 spare lamps that are good for 2 years running each, and I just put the 3rd one in after a little over 2 years.

Your feedback helped me look in all the right places for comments and reviews.

Lloyd

Tags
Harman Kardon Avr 1510 5 1 Channel 75 Watt Networked Audio Video Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 3700 7 2 Channel Av Receiver , Harman Kardon Avr 1710 7 2 Channel 100 Watt Network Connected Audio Video Receiver