Need help deciding - Onkyo TX-NR809 vs Pioneer SC-1222-K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, so I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide between these two. I actually already own the TX-NR809 and I love it. It's in use in my music room, running in a 2.2 setup (plan to make it 7.2 some time next year). But now I'm setting up a 5.1 system in the living room, and can't decide if I want the same receiver or if I should go with the Pioneer SC-1222-K. The only reason I'm having a tough time is because I had the Onkyo in the same cabinet I will be putting the new receiver into, and it got very warm in there, even when it was just in HDMI standby mode. I want to be able to close up the glass doors on the cabinet when the receiver is in HDMI standby mode, and not cause any damage to it. Right now, I have my current TX-NR809 sitting on a stand out in the open, and it stays nice and cool that way. I read that the Pioneer runs very cool to begin with, and while the unit is on, I don't mind keeping the glass doors open.

So my questions are:

1. If I went with another TX-NR809, will the heat build up from staying in HDMI standby mode cause any damage to it? I don't remember the exact temp it built up to, but it was enough to where I felt uncomfortable about leaving it that way. I really don't want to start cutting into the cabinet to install fans either.

2. If it's too risky to leave the TX-NR809 that way, how does the SC-1222-K compare to it? I've read a lot of great things, and one of them is that it runs very cool. I was concerned about the Audyssey vs MCACC and that you cannot adjust individual crossovers per speaker. My rear channel speakers can't go down as low as the front and center channels, and I would hate to loose performance in that aspect. Everything else seems comparable.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

-Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Liked: 11
I have both (well, a SC-1522). Get the Pioneer. It will run cooler for you in the cabinet, and it sounds incredible. Also, you will have the peace of mind that if something goes wrong with the Onkyo (HDMI), you won't have the misfortune of re-living the pain all over again with the other Onkyo. Sound quality is personal taste, and i find the Pioneer superior to the Onkyo. MCACC is highly customizable. You won't miss Audessey much. Hope this helps a little.
xabba likes this.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks spacecowboy, that does help a lot! Seeing as you have both, is the Pioneer any deeper than the Onkyo (measuring from the speaker posts to the front)? The cabinet I have is 18" deep and the Onkyo just squeezed in there after hooking all of the cables up. Whenever I try to look for depth dimensions, no one specifies if they're only measuring the frame or including the speaker posts. I would assume, if anything, the 1522 is the same or even slightly deeper than the 1222. I attached a pic of the cabinet as well, if that helps any (the VCR will be moved out rolleyes.gif). The space it'll be using is 21.5" W x 8" H x 18" D. Thanks again!!

-Justin

post #4 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xabba View Post

Thanks spacecowboy, that does help a lot! Seeing as you have both, is the Pioneer any deeper than the Onkyo (measuring from the speaker posts to the front)? The cabinet I have is 18" deep and the Onkyo just squeezed in there after hooking all of the cables up. Whenever I try to look for depth dimensions, no one specifies if they're only measuring the frame or including the speaker posts. I would assume, if anything, the 1522 is the same or even slightly deeper than the 1222. I attached a pic of the cabinet as well, if that helps any (the VCR will be moved out rolleyes.gif). The space it'll be using is 21.5" W x 8" H x 18" D. Thanks again!!

-Justin

I measured from the back tip of the speaker posts to the tip of the front volume knob on both receivers and they both measured 17 inches. I definately wouldn't put the Onkyo in that cabinet.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
post #5 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! I think I'll be going with the Pioneer. Thank you again for all of your help! smile.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 04-29-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
yes get the pioneer!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr809
Gear in this thread

User Tag List