Subwoofer not working after firmware update on Yamaha A/V Receiver - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Subwoofer not working after firmware update on Yamaha A/V Receiver
mutha_ucka's Avatar mutha_ucka 06:30 PM 04-29-2013
Hi all, I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver with Energy Speakers and a Quest Subwoofer. Well, everything was working great before and today for some reason I decided to update the firmware on the A/V unit all went smoothly included what I have expected that it might revert back to default settings. As I am going through the Auto Setup for some reason I can't get the Subwoofer working again for the life of me. The Bass only comes from the front tower speakers as Surround Back L/R. But even after turning them off and choosing Bass to come in as Subwoofer only, I get nothing. Even the Test Tone I get sounds from all speakers except the Sub.

Also how come during the Auto setup, one time shows all the speaker wires as good, then the next time shows one of the speakers as the wires are reversed. I didn't change anything just doing tests to see if Sub is working.

Please help.

lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 07:39 PM 04-29-2013
You try the reset routine for that unit? At least unplug the power to it for a while and then plug it in again?
SARHENTO's Avatar SARHENTO 09:33 PM 04-29-2013
If you are sure that the speakers are wired correctly, you can ignore the error message. No harm is done. YPAO on old models sometimes incorrectly detects connections.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 09:52 PM 04-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARHENTO View Post

If you are sure that the speakers are wired correctly, you can ignore the error message. No harm is done. YPAO on old models sometimes incorrectly detects connections.

Not just Yamaha receivers, several can do this (my old Pioneer did)
mutha_ucka's Avatar mutha_ucka 12:44 PM 04-30-2013
Hi thanks for the replies.

I tried the reset routine, didn't work, still can't even get at least a test tone to the Sub. Also you are right I did the test a few times with the YPAO, the first couple of times it gave me wrong wiring results and then they were fine. Who knows, anywho...

Anymore suggestions I can try? Like speaker size, or whatever? I did notice when I do a manual test on the speakers, like the test tone, I can get test tone to all speakers except the Sub. With that being said during the YPAO auto setup, I noticed that the Subwoofer didn't test. It did all speakers and then the Surround Back L and R were the last ones tested. It's as if the Sub is disabled and directed to the Surround Backs, which are played through my front towers.

BTW my setup is I have 2 front towers, center, 2 surrounds and a Sub. Where are these Surround Backs coming from? It's as if the system thinks that one midrange speakers in each of my towers(2 in each tower) are Subs and are directing all the lows there and disabling the Sub. It was working fine before I did the firmware update now everythings screwed up, I didn't have to move anything cause the USB port is in the front of the receiver.

Can I revert back to older firmware?
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 01:06 PM 04-30-2013
Time to call Yamaha!
mutha_ucka's Avatar mutha_ucka 02:39 PM 04-30-2013
Wahoo!! Working now. What a relief. Turns out that all I had to do apparently was to unplug the Sub for a minute or so and then plug it back in and then Sub works.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 03:19 PM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha_ucka View Post

Wahoo!! Working now. What a relief. Turns out that all I had to do apparently was to unplug the Sub for a minute or so and then plug it back in and then Sub works.

Congrats...wouldn't have thought that would have made a difference unless it was an HDMI sub rolleyes.gif
Up
Mobile  Desktop