Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gujustud View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

The speaker choice has to depend on your listening environment. For example, since the 1604 has a relatively low power rating, you need to use efficient speakers with sensitivities in the mid-90s or higher. Speakers with lower efficiencies won't be able to come any where near THX reference levels if you're seated at the usual distance of about 10ft (3m) or more.

Paradigm Atoms typically have sensitivities around 86dB. That's OK for quiet music, but inadequate for movies in your room.

Interesting. I've never really look much into 'matching' speakers with my AVR, but now you have me interested in researching more about this. I currently have two Anthony Gallos Micro speakers, but they are only rated to 89db. Are you saying these wouldn't be taking full advantage of my AVR?

It's not that you're not taking advantage of the AVR. A few 10s of watts is almost irrelevant.

Inefficient speakers (< 90dB) with a low maximum wattage (<250W) are unable to provide movie reference sound levels (105dB) at a distance of about 10ft (3m) without distortion or potential damage to the speakers. For full volume (THX reference level) with the 100W provided by most current receivers, you need speakers with at least 96dB sensitivity.

A detailed discussion of this is currently in progress in the Audyssey thread, starting at about http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/67890#post_24065997

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 854 Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just hooked up my new UN46F6530 with my new Marantz NR1604 AVR, with cable, Tivo, BluRay, DVD/CD multi-disc and phono all as inputs to the AVR. The one item I have not been able to get working yet, though, is the TV audio via the ARC. I have the HDMI output from the NR1604 plugged into HDMI-2(ARC) on the TV, using a High-Speed Ethernet-capable HDMI cable (have tried 2 different ones). On the TV sound settings, Receiver is greyed out (I can select "external speakers" or "TV speakers"), and I see no setting on the NR1604 to tell it to use the ARC channel as input for TV Audio. The PDF manuals for both units are very vague about ARC, making it sound as if it is "plug and play"

I realize I can use an optical digital sound cable, but was really hoping not to. Would appreciate any ideas / guidance the team here might have. Thanks.

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #273 of 854 Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodzinsky View Post

I just hooked up my new UN46F6530 with my new Marantz NR1604 AVR, with cable, Tivo, BluRay, DVD/CD multi-disc and phono all as inputs to the AVR. The one item I have not been able to get working yet, though, is the TV audio via the ARC. I have the HDMI output from the NR1604 plugged into HDMI-2(ARC) on the TV, using a High-Speed Ethernet-capable HDMI cable (have tried 2 different ones). On the TV sound settings, Receiver is greyed out (I can select "external speakers" or "TV speakers"), and I see no setting on the NR1604 to tell it to use the ARC channel as input for TV Audio. The PDF manuals for both units are very vague about ARC, making it sound as if it is "plug and play"

I realize I can use an optical digital sound cable, but was really hoping not to. Would appreciate any ideas / guidance the team here might have. Thanks.

Alright - got that one answered in the Samsung UN**F6300 thread (" for ARC feature to work set the NR1604 AVR "HDMI Control" setting to On (factory default is Off) as well as settingthe 46F6300 TV "Anynet+" to On.") by JChin.

So - next question, does the NR1604 support display of RDS for FM radio stations? Clearly not any biggie, but surprised when I didn't see it when testing the tuner. All our cars now have it!

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #274 of 854 Old 12-15-2013, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2139 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
^^
AFAIK, the only model that will do this in the 2013 lineup is the SR7008 with it's capability to display 2 lines of information on the front panel display..

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #275 of 854 Old 12-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

It's not that you're not taking advantage of the AVR. A few 10s of watts is almost irrelevant.

Inefficient speakers (< 90dB) with a low maximum wattage (<250W) are unable to provide movie reference sound levels (105dB) at a distance of about 10ft (3m) without distortion or potential damage to the speakers. For full volume (THX reference level) with the 100W provided by most current receivers, you need speakers with at least 96dB sensitivity.

A detailed discussion of this is currently in progress in the Audyssey thread, starting at about http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/67890#post_24065997

What about people who don't bother with going up to THX levels? These are measuring points only.

I use a Marantz NR1604 with speakers that are 89 and 90 db. I have plenty of rich sound for both music and movie play. Then again, what is also missing from this equation is how the room is set up which is far more than just a chair 10 feet from the speaker source etc. I am not arguing about the results/measures but that it is a fallacy to suggest that quality sound cannot come from less wattage played at a moderate level of output.

My rather pedestrian system includes the Marantz NR1604, Goldenear Triton 7, XL center, AON 3 rears, Zone 2 - 2 x AON 3. I rarely use my older Klipsch down firing sub. - This is my set up in my place and it plays more than reasonably loud without distortion and without being at volumes that do damage to my ears. Given that some facets are subjective, I guess my friends too find the system more than decent and that includes a couple of musicians that work in studios who love the sound of "hd" music through this system.
post #276 of 854 Old 12-16-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

Quote:

What about people who don't bother with going up to THX levels? These are measuring points only.

I use a Marantz NR1604 with speakers that are 89 and 90 db. I have plenty of rich sound for both music and movie play. Then again, what is also missing from this equation is how the room is set up which is far more than just a chair 10 feet from the speaker source etc. I am not arguing about the results/measures but that it is a fallacy to suggest that quality sound cannot come from less wattage played at a moderate level of output.

My rather pedestrian system includes the Marantz NR1604, Goldenear Triton 7, XL center, AON 3 rears, Zone 2 - 2 x AON 3. I rarely use my older Klipsch down firing sub. - This is my set up in my place and it plays more than reasonably loud without distortion and without being at volumes that do damage to my ears. Given that some facets are subjective, I guess my friends too find the system more than decent and that includes a couple of musicians that work in studios who love the sound of "hd" music through this system.

It depends on your goals. Some people want to be able to play movies at full reference volume. After proper room treatments with lots of absorption to remove reflections, this can be easily done, but you have to have appropriate speakers and amplification. Most people have neither. Certainly I don't.

Selden

post #277 of 854 Old 12-17-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13

I finally made a decision for my speakers and went with the  paradigm Mini monitors front and  atoms on the rear paradigm center 1 and  haven't made my mind up to keep the sub yet it's a a paradigm ultra cube 10(I think I can get more for my money svs ? just don't have anywhere to demo one ) I did swap out the Marantz UD 5007  for a oppo 103 ..

post #278 of 854 Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I finally broke down and going to jump into the Marantz slim line receiver family. I couldn't find anything in market that has the low profile feature of the NR-1504/1604 so Marantz is going to get some business from me. About the purchase the NR-1504 unit.

The room I'm going to put this receiver into is less than 1,500 square feet in volume - so this is a small room. I've currently got some satellite speakers mounted on the wall and will hook up accordingly. The old system has a passive sub connected to a dedicated 6-channel amp. With the NR-1504 sub out, I'm assuming that the options are either get a single channel amp (connect to the passive sub) or buy a new active sub?

Are the digital and analogue inputs assignable to a particular HDMI input - I'm thinking it must be to allow flexibility in various connections.

Would it be possible to save the configuration via the network onto the PC/laptop? I'm thinking that if something goes wrong and there's a need to reset - it would be nice to load the save configuration rather than spend hours setting it up again. This assumes I've written all the settings down somewhere and plug away. Using my fading memory would be a disaster.

I'm slowing getting into headphones. What's interesting is the possibility of directly connecting (via the speaker taps) power hungry ortho-dynamic units made by Hifiman and Audezé. Has anyone tried this yet? It would be interesting to hear various sound signatures such as pure direct vs. Audyssey EQ (music/movie/dynamic volume/etc.)

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #279 of 854 Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would the SR6007 be a better choice over the NR1604?
They are around the same price.

Main concerns are sound quality and Surround performance.

Thanks

Thanks

Frank
TC-P50-ST30
Dish HOPPER with Sling
B&W Speakers/Polk Active Sub
post #280 of 854 Old 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, the 6007 features the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT as well as a full set of main zone pre-outs.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #281 of 854 Old 12-26-2013, 04:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and came across this thread

I'm very interested in this receiver but would like some advice before I pull the trigger on one.

I'm running some Scandyna Micropod Speakers.

Here are the specs.

Amplifier requirement 10 - 100 watt

Nominal impedance 4 Ω

Frequency Response 65-20.000 Hz (± 3dB)

Sensitivity 86dB spl (2.83V / 1m)

Drive Units 1 x 3” (75mm) woofer, Kevlar™ cone 1 x ¾“ (19mm) soft dome tweeter

http://www.podspeakers.dk/wp-content/uploads/MicroPodSE-info.pdf

I only want the system for 95% movies and 5% music

Will the NR-1604 amp be ok to drive the 4 ohm speakers above?

Is there going to be a new model of the NR1604 coming out soon?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

post #282 of 854 Old 12-26-2013, 05:02 AM
585-645-1006

^^
At moderate "TV listening" volume levels, the 1604 should be fine, however, if you prefer to listen to movies at louder levels, the unit will likely shut down in protection mode. However, if that does occur, the 1604 has a set of main zone FL/FR pre-outs in which you can connect a more powerful external amp to power the speakers. The Marantz models are replaced every summer.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #283 of 854 Old 12-26-2013, 03:22 PM

Anybody have any experience with this unit and Energy speakers? Will this receiver play nice with the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system?

Steve
post #284 of 854 Old 12-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

I have used Energy XL bookshelf speakers with the NR1602. The XL series requires more power and I can say it was a very good match with the NR1602.

You should have no issues with your Energy speakers in terms of "power." Just be aware you don't want to crank the system to its max due to the limitations of your Energy speakers. They should play pretty loud at 85 on the volume control.

The above system I mention is still in use (not by me now) and people are still amazed how great they sound (Energy speakers) with the AVR for both movie and music.

Later, you may want to opt to get a more robust speaker system but the small Energy system is a great way to start for a small 5.1 set up.

Enjoy!

NR1604, Oppo 103, TiVo 3, XBMC Mac Mini, Goldenear Triton 7 Front L/R, Ge XL center, AON 3 rear L/R and older Klipsch down firing 12" sub.
post #285 of 854 Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 AM

Thanks Phrehdd,
I will be adding 2 additional Take Classic satellites to make my system a full 7.1. I have a small room so I probably don't need anything bigger than the Takes. I've been told the NR1604 is very clean and sounds better than most AVR's out there which is why I am leaning toward this brand. I have owned 3 Onkyos and all of them have died on me prematurely. Loved the sound but the reliablitly factor has scared me away from Onkyo. I am also looking at the Denon AVR X2000 which has pretty much the same specs as the NR1604 but with the addition of the MultEQ XT. The big million dollar question now is "do get the NR1604 now or wait until the announcements after CES 2014 in a few days?" I'm sure the NR1605 will probably have more bells and whistles i.e. built in wi-fi and bluetooth and maybe HDMI 2.0, MultEQ XT etc.

Steve
post #286 of 854 Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mascus, I think you might be over estimating what the NR1605 may have. However, I do agree it is hard to wait and find out.

The NR1604 is a nice unit. My only concerns relates to CEC which seems rather haphazard at best. I can't totally consider this a lone fault of the NR1604 but my NR1602 did do better with my other devices and this may be just a by chance issue.

Given that you are using the small satellite system in a small room, I wouldn't worry about MultEQ XT. As for wireless, well I am totally contrary to the use of wireless as it will never be quite as good as wired and always subject to interference. I have heard more horror stories of downloads of firmware getting screwed up on various devices that were dependent on wireless.

You may want to consider things such as -

Powerline that lets the signal travel over your electrical lines (Cable from the NR1604 to a "plug" in the wall electric socket that travels down the electrical lines to another powerline which is connected to your router where ever it is). This of course is subject to how your home is electrically wired.

There is also the notion of using bridged routers. Where you have a main router then a 2nd router that acts on its behalf and is wired to your Marantz. Internet-->router1---wifi---router2--CAST5e or 6-->Marantz. This has certain advantages of letting your two routers do the handshaking and off loads any work the receiver or other devices hooked in might have to do.

The last option works around using your in wall coax cable but seems not to be in as much favour these days.

Last - if you wait for the next incarnation presumably the NR1605 you can decide if the updated features are worth it and if not, the NR1604 will be sold at a discount. That is a win/win situation.
post #287 of 854 Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Mascus, I think you might be over estimating what the NR1605 may have. However, I do agree it is hard to wait and find out.

The NR1604 is a nice unit. My only concerns relates to CEC which seems rather haphazard at best. I can't totally consider this a lone fault of the NR1604 but my NR1602 did do better with my other devices and this may be just a by chance issue.

Given that you are using the small satellite system in a small room, I wouldn't worry about MultEQ XT. As for wireless, well I am totally contrary to the use of wireless as it will never be quite as good as wired and always subject to interference. I have heard more horror stories of downloads of firmware getting screwed up on various devices that were dependent on wireless.

You may want to consider things such as -

Powerline that lets the signal travel over your electrical lines (Cable from the NR1604 to a "plug" in the wall electric socket that travels down the electrical lines to another powerline which is connected to your router where ever it is). This of course is subject to how your home is electrically wired.

There is also the notion of using bridged routers. Where you have a main router then a 2nd router that acts on its behalf and is wired to your Marantz. Internet-->router1---wifi---router2--CAST5e or 6-->Marantz. This has certain advantages of letting your two routers do the handshaking and off loads any work the receiver or other devices hooked in might have to do.

The last option works around using your in wall coax cable but seems not to be in as much favour these days.

Last - if you wait for the next incarnation presumably the NR1605 you can decide if the updated features are worth it and if not, the NR1604 will be sold at a discount. That is a win/win situation.

Agree about the wired connection. I will probably go with the powerline setup. My TV is a Vizio 70" M series and the CEC function concerns me a little too. I hope it works ok. All my sources are HDMI (Verizon fios HD-DVR, Wii-U, PS4, and my wife's new HD Karoke system (yes it too uses an HDMI connection) lol. I need all of these components to play nice with the marantz.

Steve
post #288 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascus View Post

Thanks Phrehdd,
I will be adding 2 additional Take Classic satellites to make my system a full 7.1. I have a small room so I probably don't need anything bigger than the Takes. I've been told the NR1604 is very clean and sounds better than most AVR's out there which is why I am leaning toward this brand. I have owned 3 Onkyos and all of them have died on me prematurely. Loved the sound but the reliablitly factor has scared me away from Onkyo. I am also looking at the Denon AVR X2000 which has pretty much the same specs as the NR1604 but with the addition of the MultEQ XT. The big million dollar question now is "do get the NR1604 now or wait until the announcements after CES 2014 in a few days?" I'm sure the NR1605 will probably have more bells and whistles i.e. built in wi-fi and bluetooth and maybe HDMI 2.0, MultEQ XT etc.

Same boat as you, same speakers as well. Looking at the NR1604, Onkyo 626, Denon X2000 and E400. Could also get a Yamaha 673 for $150. What did you decide?
post #289 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 01:56 PM

Going with the Marantz. For me it was a toss up between the NR1604 and the Denon X2000. I like the more compact design and simplicity of the marantz.

Steve
post #290 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM

I´m using my NR1604 since 3 weeks now. Pretty cool device...

Actually I have connected it to a Heco Victa Prime speaker set:

2x Prime 702 as front speakers

2x Prime 302 as rear speakers

1x Prime 102 as center speaker

1x Prime Sub 252 as Subwoofer

Overall I am pretty happy with this setup. But I recognized one strange thing while listening to music:

as soon as the music becomes louder (e.g. starting the chorus part), the volume decreases significantly.

After a while it gets back to the original state. Right now I observed this Multi Channel Stereo and Pro Logic modes.

Is this already the "protection mode"? Is there any sign in the display?

post #291 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Your description is consistent with "Dynamic Volume" being turned on. I believe that's the default when you've run the Audyssey calibration. It can be turned off easily enough. See pages 108 (for how to get to the menu) and 113 (for what the values mean) in the owner's manual.

Selden

post #292 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Your description is consistent with "Dynamic Volume" being turned on.

Thanks for the hint! It was set to medium. I changed it to off.

Will try it out during the next days...

post #293 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

You're very welcome. Enjoy the sound!

Selden

post #294 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agree about the wired connection. I will probably go with the powerline setup. My TV is a Vizio 70" M series and the CEC function concerns me a little too. I hope it works ok. All my sources are HDMI (Verizon fios HD-DVR, Wii-U, PS4, and my wife's new HD Karoke system (yes it too uses an HDMI connection) lol. I need all of these components to play nice with the marantz.

The CEC is a never ending source of annoyance. I know others that have different systems and they too, have minor issues and a couple with no CEC play at all.

When I turn on my TV (fed from TiVo 3), at one point my 1604 would turn on and then stopped all of a sudden. Later when I turned off the TV via the TiVo control, the Marantz would turn off.
My Oppo 103 can turn on the Marantz but cannot turn it off. The short version - I use remotes to do the work to get everything working for TV play, BD/DVD play, or network play via the Marantz itself or Oppo.

At times I wish that Marantz would put in a "chip" and allow buyers to add which level of Audessy (sp) they want via dongle or flashing. I think this is the only thing that makes the slim line Marantz a lesser item than it could be. Then again, perhaps for their entire line that would be a good notion and allow for "upgrades" to Audessy on an as need/want basis.
post #295 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:

The CEC is a never ending source of annoyance. I know others that have different systems and they too, have minor issues and a couple with no CEC play at all.

When I turn on my TV (fed from TiVo 3), at one point my 1604 would turn on and then stopped all of a sudden. Later when I turned off the TV via the TiVo control, the Marantz would turn off.
My Oppo 103 can turn on the Marantz but cannot turn it off. The short version - I use remotes to do the work to get everything working for TV play, BD/DVD play, or network play via the Marantz itself or Oppo.

At times I wish that Marantz would put in a "chip" and allow buyers to add which level of Audessy (sp) they want via dongle or flashing. I think this is the only thing that makes the slim line Marantz a lesser item than it could be. Then again, perhaps for their entire line that would be a good notion and allow for "upgrades" to Audessy on an as need/want basis.

I'll let you know once I get everything set up how it works out (CEC functionality that is). Hopefully it will be fairly painless.

Steve
post #296 of 854 Old 12-30-2013, 09:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'll let you know once I get everything set up how it works out (CEC functionality that is). Hopefully it will be fairly painless.

How is the sound with the Energy Takes?
post #297 of 854 Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Has anyone attempted to match their Marantz slimline receiver with golden ears technology speakers? I'm interested in buying the super sat series as the sound is pleasing when last auditioned in a local audio store. The super sats need to be wall mounted to get a better beefier sound, on their own - it's kind of thin sounding. I did compare the super sats to CA Minx 20, MA MASS, KEF E301 and preferred the super sats. The KEF E301 came in second, but their sensitivity is much lower. 86 vs. 92 dB which is a shame as power output of the Marantz slimline is a bit limited. Main seating position is about 10 feet from the speakers.

Has anyone looked at speaker sensitivity, seating (or hearing) distance and power requirements when deciding to grab the Marantz slimline receiver?

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #298 of 854 Old 12-31-2013, 02:32 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Keep in mind the 1604 has a set of FL/FR pre-outs should an external amp be required.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #299 of 854 Old 12-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Anyone have experience with the sony strdn1040 over the nr1604?
My main concern in music and surround sound.

Thanks

Thanks

Frank
TC-P50-ST30
Dish HOPPER with Sling
B&W Speakers/Polk Active Sub
post #300 of 854 Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocco View Post

Anyone have experience with the sony strdn1040 over the nr1604?
My main concern in music and surround sound.

Thanks
Given the price, I can see why you would be wondering if it is a better offering. It really depends on what you are looking for and what the rest of your system is about (speakers, attached devices etc.). I'll say one thing only about WiFi - unless the new standard is more available (AC), I find internal WiFi to be almost useless if not troublesome on AVRs and the like. I say this because they are subject to issues and placement of equipment and so much more. Imagine doing a firmware upgrade and a hiccup occurs or you attempt to stream a movie and end up with a stuttering jittery mess. Direct path wireless AC might work well but it is not typical to have a direct path between devices even if they are in near proximity.

What you might want to do is go over to Amazon and see the reviews for the Sony and start with the ones with less stars. You may find a couple that are more complete in nature and reasons why a lower rating rather than just someone having "issues" or a trivial complaint. Similar goes for the Marantz NR line of AVR.

From my NR1604, located in a moderate sized, acoustic nightmare room - 5 speakers with 89 and 90 rating for efficiency, Oppo 103, TiVo 3, 65" plasma. The NR1604 plays loud enough for my needs and sounds clean. Later, when I move, I'll consider a system like the Anthem MRX 510 as a meaningful upgrade.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page