Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 742 Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazexa View Post

Bummer to hear it can't be updated to 2.0... How certain are we on that? I may still get NR1604 for it's additional features and channels. I don't plan on upgrading to 4K for a long time anyways, but it'd be nice to have.

It is far better to get the NR1604 for it's additional features. It is a pretty decent amp in a small footprint.
I have a preamp with front high speakers that I use on occasion and that really adds to the 1604.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 742 Old 01-24-2014, 12:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 74
The Marantz NR series are up-dated every year with new features. In my opinion the price to feature ratio for the NR units are reasonable compared to what's available a few years ago. Eventually there's an urge to up-grade at some point in time and another round of spec comparing will happen.

The mistakes I've made is trying to predict future trends - only to be wrong, over paying and looking stupid at the same time. The simply principle of getting what's needed now and let the future sort itself out is a good one to go by.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #363 of 742 Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How is video quality with the 1604? Is it better than the scaler that's in my Vizio M-701D? My TV looks good but if the video processor is better in the 1604, I would certainly like to use it instead. Anyone notice any improved picture quality when using the 1604?

Steve
post #364 of 742 Old 01-25-2014, 02:33 PM

Liked: 10
Very interested in the NR1604 to replace my current Cambridge Audio 540R with Anthony Gallo Micros. Looking to swap to a B&W MT60d setup. Is the Marantz capable of powering the B&W's - they are fairly inefficient speakers, but paired with an amazing powered sub. Have height issues for the AVR in current furniture.
post #365 of 742 Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprosser View Post

Very interested in the NR1604 to replace my Cambridge Audio 540R with Anthony Gallo Micros. Looking to swap to a B&W MT60d setup. Is the Marantz capable for this setup?? Have height issues for the AVR in current furniture.

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to marry the Marantz NR1604 with the Gallo Micro speakers.

This is what the specs from Gallo say -

Nucleus Micro :
Frequency Response 80Hz to 18Khz
Sensitivity 89 dB/w
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Power Handling 100 Watts

The Marantz can handle this quite well. You might (just an opinion) also check their other speakers as well as ORB.
post #366 of 742 Old 01-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Hi - actually looking for the Marantz to power the B&W MT 60d
post #367 of 742 Old 01-25-2014, 10:54 PM

Here's another question. Say I have a set of wireless headphones to use with these. Aside from using the front panel output, what would be the best way to forward a signal to the transmitter base? Perhaps the pre-out RCA, or would that require changing settings often? Does the unit still send an audio signal with HDMI to the TV, because if so, I can use Optical Out from the TV to the transmitter base and that would probably work better/best.

Also ,curious, 96dB sensitivity should be plenty efficient for the 50w rating, right? My speakers aren't anything special, just Klipsch Icon.
post #368 of 742 Old 01-26-2014, 02:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
^^
Connecting the wireless transmitter to the Zone 2 pre-outs is your best bet. If you want to listen to the same source as is played in the main zone, you can then use the "All Zone Stereo" setting, although this would then also down mix the main zone to stereo as well. Otherwise, network and usb sources and external sources connected with rca (red/white) cables will also pass to Zone 2 independent from the main zone source (eg. connect cable box with both HDMI and RCA). The HDMI audio will not pass to the TV when set to pass to the surround speakers so the only way to use the TV's optical audio output would be for the TV's on board smart apps or for those sources connected directly to the TV. Klipsch speakers should have no problem with their high efficiency rating.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #369 of 742 Old 01-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

It is far better to get the NR1604 for it's additional features. It is a pretty decent amp in a small footprint.
I have a preamp with front high speakers that I use on occasion and that really adds to the 1604.

I am still very strongly considering the NR1604. I mean, 4K gaming (in regards to the living room HT area) won't be availbe for a long time anyways. But I would love the NR1604's Component/Composite -> HDMI conversion (does this introduce any kind of input lag?), App-control, and two additional channels. I've found places selling it as cheap as $530ish new. Now bad compared to $400 cheapest for the 1403, or $500 on the NR1504.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Connecting the wireless transmitter to the Zone 2 pre-outs is your best bet. If you want to listen to the same source as is played in the main zone, you can then use the "All Zone Stereo" setting, although this would then also down mix the main zone to stereo as well. Otherwise, network and usb sources and external sources connected with rca (red/white) cables will also pass to Zone 2 independent from the main zone source (eg. connect cable box with both HDMI and RCA). The HDMI audio will not pass to the TV when set to pass to the surround speakers so the only way to use the TV's optical audio output would be for the TV's on board smart apps or for those sources connected directly to the TV. Klipsch speakers should have no problem with their high efficiency rating.

So if I wanted to connect the transmitter base without playing audio through the speakers, what would be the best way? The reason for the headphones is later at night when family is sleeping.

post #370 of 742 Old 01-26-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Sazexa,

Don't forget that many of the resellers who advertise low prices are unauthorized, which can cause difficulties if you encounter a problem which requires repairs. Authorized D&M resellers aren't allowed to publish prices lower than MSRP, but will quote much lower prices if you contact them directly. (AVS is an authorized reseller. See JD's post just above yours. Disclosure: I have never bought anything from AVS or JD. I usually purchase my Marantz equipment from a local brick-and-mortar D&M reseller.)

Selden
post #371 of 742 Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

So if I wanted to connect the transmitter base without playing audio through the speakers, what would be the best way? The reason for the headphones is later at night when family is sleeping.

Wireless transmitter connected to Zone 2 pre-outs ..... "All Zone Stereo" mode ..... and then just mute the main zone speakers.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #372 of 742 Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 PM

Interesting story – obtained my Marantz NR1604 and went about the setup process; at the time I only had two HDMI cables so I connect the receiver to the tv and plugged my DVR (Topfield TRF-7160) into the CBL/SAT HDMI input. Everything seemed to be working fine, but then I switched on the setup function and played with things a bit and then backed out of the setup menu.

Blank screen.

Switched the unit off and back on; back to normal. Switched to another input and then back to CBL/SAT – blank screen. I tried with the DVD HDMI input – same problem; if I switched away from the input the DVR was connected through, it would switch the signal off. I connected instead using the component cables and everything worked fine; it was only the HDMI that appear to be the problem.

After getting confused and more than a little frustrated I started trying things at random; I ended up connecting the DVR to the Media Player HDMI input and then switched away and back again; this time the signal remained.

So, I suppose the question is: should that have happened? Or does a DVR count as a Media Player on a Marantz? I've never connected it to a receiver via HDMI before (previous device was a pre-HDMI Denon AVR-1907), but I assumed it should be via the CBL/SAT input.

While I'm happy I've got it working, I'm still a bit annoyed; I couldn't find anything in the manual to indicate that would be in the case.

post #373 of 742 Old 01-26-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Sazexa,

Don't forget that many of the resellers who advertise low prices are unauthorized, which can cause difficulties if you encounter a problem which requires repairs. Authorized D&M resellers aren't allowed to publish prices lower than MSRP, but will quote much lower prices if you contact them directly. (AVS is an authorized reseller. See JD's post just above yours. Disclosure: I have never bought anything from AVS or JD. I usually purchase my Marantz equipment from a local brick-and-mortar D&M reseller.)

Say I found the NR1604 for around $150 cheaper, but from an unauthorized re-seller/distributor, who would be the best site/store to try and price-match with?

And thanks, JDSmoothie. Much appreciated.

post #374 of 742 Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 AM
585-645-1006

When purchasing from an unauthorized dealer, the mfr warranty is invalid so there is no reason for an authorized dealer to price match.

post #375 of 742 Old 01-27-2014, 03:30 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJW77 View Post

Interesting story – obtained my Marantz NR1604 and went about the setup process; at the time I only had two HDMI cables so I connect the receiver to the tv and plugged my DVR (Topfield TRF-7160) into the CBL/SAT HDMI input. Everything seemed to be working fine, but then I switched on the setup function and played with things a bit and then backed out of the setup menu.

Blank screen.

Switched the unit off and back on; back to normal. Switched to another input and then back to CBL/SAT – blank screen. I tried with the DVD HDMI input – same problem; if I switched away from the input the DVR was connected through, it would switch the signal off. I connected instead using the component cables and everything worked fine; it was only the HDMI that appear to be the problem.

After getting confused and more than a little frustrated I started trying things at random; I ended up connecting the DVR to the Media Player HDMI input and then switched away and back again; this time the signal remained.

So, I suppose the question is: should that have happened? Or does a DVR count as a Media Player on a Marantz? I've never connected it to a receiver via HDMI before (previous device was a pre-HDMI Denon AVR-1907), but I assumed it should be via the CBL/SAT input.

While I'm happy I've got it working, I'm still a bit annoyed; I couldn't find anything in the manual to indicate that would be in the case.

This is not uncommon as some HDMI inputs tend to work better with some devices as opposed to others. The important thing to note is that the inputs are "assignable" so that even if you plug the DVR into the HDMI input labeled "Media Player", that input can still be assigned to the "CBL/SAT" source name.

post #376 of 742 Old 01-28-2014, 12:15 AM

Okay, next issue – networking. Have connected everything, and can both pick up the internet on my NR1604 and have it show on my PC's network map.

So, this may sound like a completely stupid question, but how do I access the music on it? I've attempted to follow the instructions for how to stream from Windows Media Player (pc is Win7 Pro), but it simply will not allow me to switch the 'stream music' option on. Having scoured the internet for hours finding numerous 'solutions', as advised by these threads:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/cant-turn-on-media-streaming-on-windows-7-media/56a58234-89d2-48da-a7b2-a357dfa776d3

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/cant-turn-on-media-streaming-with-windows-7/902c4b2e-6dad-425f-a1f5-b36857610161

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/cant-turn-on-media-streaming-for-windows-7-a-516029.html

...and probably a few more I can't remember, none of which worked. Has anyone had this problem and (more importantly) have they been able to resolve it?

post #377 of 742 Old 01-28-2014, 04:03 PM

Hello All -
Sorry to poach the 1604 thread, as i took delivery of my 1504 yesterday but couldnt find a 1504 thread. Have not done much as of yet other than unbox it, made all the connections to TV, PS3, SetTop, etc... but still waiting on my speakers (Polk TSx series all the way around and a Pro550 sub). I also powered it up and the first thing it wanted to do was update firmware... which i let it do (took about 8mins) hopefully that was a good decision?

The fun should start tomorrow when the speakers arrive smile.gif
post #378 of 742 Old 01-28-2014, 04:18 PM
585-645-1006

Netflix DD+ audio related issues -

For those of you experiencing distorted audio problems from a Netflix source passing DD+ due to Netflix having recently changed their DD+ encoder, D&M is expected to release a firmware update for the 1604 and 1504 on March 6.

The work around until then is to set the Netflix source to either PCM or STEREO and use DD PLII to simulate 5.1 audio.

post #379 of 742 Old 01-28-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideViewen View Post

Hello All -
Sorry to poach the 1604 thread, as i took delivery of my 1504 yesterday but couldnt find a 1504 thread. Have not done much as of yet other than unbox it, made all the connections to TV, PS3, SetTop, etc... but still waiting on my speakers (Polk TSx series all the way around and a Pro550 sub). I also powered it up and the first thing it wanted to do was update firmware... which i let it do (took about 8mins) hopefully that was a good decision?

The fun should start tomorrow when the speakers arrive smile.gif

Congrats on the 1504. Updating the firmware was a good decision. Enjoy!
post #380 of 742 Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hi wideViewen,

If there's no objection from the thread starter, I believe you can ask and post about the NR-1504 in this thread. The reason being is that the NR-1504 is little brother of the NR-1604 and have a lot of similar features. jdsmoothie is great at answering all the technical questions related to Denon/Marantz receivers.

I've got the NR-1504 in a 5.1 set-up and really like the features of Airplay and Audessey room correction. These made a big sound quality difference for me. Would be happy to answer questions related to the NR-1504 that are not too technical.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #381 of 742 Old 01-29-2014, 08:00 PM

Thanks...
So all my speakers arrived today, but still waiting on stands for the rears. But i hooked up the front towers, center channel and the Sub. Went right into Audyssey for a setup. My receiver set my front speakers up as Large, so i changed that to small with a crossover of 40hz which they seemed to handle just fine. Center was set to 60hz, i left that alone, and the sub Low Pass at 100hz which i also felt sounded good. Now, im not sure exactly whats going on with the distance part... it was pretty accurate (within a foot) so i didnt change those. Im just curious what actually gets set based on that, maybe balance?

Also, when you test more than one position, does it just take an average of all the positions you test?

For the most part i was just playing around, ill do some more once my rears are setup.
Thanks...
post #382 of 742 Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM

Hey Folks,

Its been a great pleasure in reading this thread all the way from page 1 and learning heavily. I am very new to this forum as well as the entire proper Home Theatre toys and the respective experiences

I am definitely fully sold on the NR1604 for all the reasons others have stated,

As for the 7.1 surround setup, I have become obsessed with Klipsch RF 42II 7.1 Reference Series HTS thanks to Klipsch's reputation, the reviews, praises, so on and so forth (on Amazon - ~$1.5k)

I understand that the NR1604 is better suited for smaller speaker systems like Energy Take Classic or the likes, but do you think that the NR1604 will be able to drive these Klipsch Reference speakers without too much trouble?

I don't need big sound to turn my face inside out but I prefer high quality, finesse, clarity, detail, richness... you get the idea. My room is on the smaller end of the spectrum too...

And 1 question on the technical note... The sensitivity dBs are better if they are higher for the speaker / AVR matching?

Any input is appreciated on my mundane query.

Adi

post #383 of 742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
585-645-1006

Yes. Klipsch speakers are very efficient and require very little power. The 1604 shouldn't have any problems at all.

post #384 of 742 Old 01-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi Nagesh View Post

Hey Folks,

Its been a great pleasure in reading this thread all the way from page 1 and learning heavily. I am very new to this forum as well as the entire proper Home Theatre toys and the respective experiences

I am definitely fully sold on the NR1604 for all the reasons others have stated,

As for the 7.1 surround setup, I have become obsessed with Klipsch RF 42II 7.1 Reference Series HTS thanks to Klipsch's reputation, the reviews, praises, so on and so forth (on Amazon - ~$1.5k)

I understand that the NR1604 is better suited for smaller speaker systems like Energy Take Classic or the likes, but do you think that the NR1604 will be able to drive these Klipsch Reference speakers without too much trouble?

I don't need big sound to turn my face inside out but I prefer high quality, finesse, clarity, detail, richness... you get the idea. My room is on the smaller end of the spectrum too...

And 1 question on the technical note... The sensitivity dBs are better if they are higher for the speaker / AVR matching?

Any input is appreciated on my mundane query.

Adi

Those speakers should sound excellent with the NR1604 if you like the Klipsch sound - a good marriage.
post #385 of 742 Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 PM

Awesome. Thank you Jd & Phrehdd. I am done getting bogged down by other brands and models. I am Gonna get these in a few days. Thanks again!

post #386 of 742 Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi Nagesh View Post

Awesome. Thank you Jd & Phrehdd. I am done getting bogged down by other brands and models. I am Gonna get these in a few days. Thanks again!

Please make sure to report back to all of us about your experiences with both the speakers and the AVR. - Thanks

Phrehdd
post #387 of 742 Old 01-31-2014, 11:56 PM

Will do. No problem!

post #388 of 742 Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 PM

I myself will be buying the NR1604, after reading much through this thread and with the support you guys have given me. Finally got all of my speakers in and situated today. Just need to get some cable/wire, and then order the receiver and I'll be all set!

I'm going to do 5.1 with the receiver, and probably use the Zone 2 out for that headset like recommented.

Does anyone have the Bluetooth adapter for the receiver? If so, how is the quality on it. I might buy that, also.

post #389 of 742 Old 02-02-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:

I myself will be buying the NR1604, after reading much through this thread and with the support you guys have given me. Finally got all of my speakers in and situated today. Just need to get some cable/wire, and then order the receiver and I'll be all set!

Do you mind my asking where you wound up purchasing? Did you find a certified dealer with a price below MSRP? I am down in Hamden, and was going to buy via Amazon, but if I can get a better price locally, I'd love to do that.

Thanks!
Kaz
post #390 of 742 Old 02-02-2014, 05:02 AM

I had the rx101 Bluetooth receiver when I had a nr1601 and found it very good streaming loss less audio with no problems. When I changed to the nr1604, I found that with the Ethernet network connectivity there was no real use for it so sold it on ebay
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1604 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page