post #661 of 854 Old 06-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by opperwezen View Post

Hi all, I jus bought the nr1604 and i kind of miscalculated its options so maybe one of you can help. As I understand its possible to connect the nr1604 with wifi via a dongle. Looking for a dongle on internet i only see usb dongles. Are that the ones to make the nr1604 wifistreaming or are there also other ports? Is it possibly to connect the usbport of the receiver to the widely known multiple usb-sockets-case so i can plug in both the wifi connection (for the remote app) and the usb-stick with my mp3's?
The thing is i bought it (no return policy) to connect my usb stick with mp3's with my speakers. but i guess just the connection doesnt make it possible to navigate my musiclibary (no tv is connected) so i try now to organise the remote app via android and my wifirouter.
thanks in advance for your replies!

I can't speak for the Android version of the app but the IOS (iPhone) app does work well with showing folders and songs etc.

Now for some real advice - a couple of smart options

1) Bridged routers. This requires two routers that can work in bridge mode. You would have your original router connected to the internet. The second router would be connected via cable to the Marantz (it can be near the Marantz) and any other equipment that is net capable such as TV, Blu Ray player. This router will do the "WiFi' bridge connection to your internet router. Allow the routers to do the heavy lifting. Done correctly, it will be far more efficient than any "dongle" solution. If money was not an issue, you could get a couple of AC routers that are meant to work in bridge mode. AC based routers, assuming no major challenges in your place will offer excellent high speed connection for WiFi. Regular N is the only other meaningful solution if some speed is required.

2) Original router plus PowerLine connection. If you opt for this set up, you will put a cable to your original router to one of the two (come in pairs) powerline devices. This plugs into a wall socket. Next, you will plug in the second powerline device into a socket near your Marantz. A cable will go from the device to your Marantz. This set up actually uses your electrical lines as a communication line. The caveat here is that it is only as good as the wiring in your home. Ideally, the two powerline devices will be on the same circuit/fuse.

You can look up info on routers and powerline devices over at smallnetbuilder site.

Internet-->router...........wifi........router-->Marantz (bridge mode)

Internet-->router-->powerline---->home wall power----powerline--->Marantz (powerline set up)

I have used both of the above with excellent results (and at times not so excellent, depending on the home). Just be aware that using cable (Ethernet) rather than WiFi is still considered the top option.
da Choge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 854 Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the reply! I guess the most obvious thing to do is connect my absolete modem/router as a bridge (i gonna try that this afternoon again). if not than i can use the powerline-option. By the way is a usb-stick like this one, http://fritzbox.eu/en/products/FRITZWLAN_USB_Stick_N/index.php  not strong enough? or do i then run into the problem of that i cannot reach my mp3's on the usb stick in my modem/router (fritzbox 7360)?

post #663 of 854 Old 06-10-2014, 02:59 AM

Well, the using of a absolete modem/router for the bridge didnt work...Nevertheless it works now as we found out that i can navigate the music on my usb stick in front of the nr1604 with the remote control.

In the end i have to conclude that there really exists something like a dumb questions as i asked one of them :) Thanks for your time to answer it anyway.

post #664 of 854 Old 06-10-2014, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 135
^opperwezen,

If the intent is to play some tunes via the USB connection at the front of the AVR, you can save the trouble of having the TV on and using the Marantz remote by utilizing the web interface.

With your mobile phone/tablet device, open the web browser and type in the IP address of your Marantz. You'll find the browser interface much easier to navigate compared to the TV + remote. If you don't know where your IP address is for the Marantz, use the TV + remote, select network and then select information. You'll see something like this: 192.168.0.XXX which is your IP address that you'll type in to get web browser access.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #665 of 854 Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 AM

Hey Steve. Well the thing is that connecting the nr1604 to the internet was my (unfinished) challenge in the first place. But now that i found out it works pefectly with just the nr1604, speakers, remote and usb Im happy. So i dont need a tv.  But thanks for your reply, it will probably help someone else.

post #666 of 854 Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

^ opperwezen,

Okay, glad to hear that you've sorted out the internet connection with the NR-1604. Having the AVR do what you want and being happy with it is an important factor in enjoyment of the system. Be careful of the up-grade bug, it usually comes around when the new series become available on the street and the what if questions start to pop up. I'm slowly developing a small rash on the forehead...wink.gif

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #667 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by opperwezen View Post
Hi all, I jus bought the nr1604 and i kind of miscalculated its options so maybe one of you can help. As I understand its possible to connect the nr1604 with wifi via a dongle. Looking for a dongle on internet i only see usb dongles. Are that the ones to make the nr1604 wifistreaming or are there also other ports? Is it possibly to connect the usbport of the receiver to the widely known multiple usb-sockets-case so i can plug in both the wifi connection (for the remote app) and the usb-stick with my mp3's?
The thing is i bought it (no return policy) to connect my usb stick with mp3's with my speakers. but i guess just the connection doesnt make it possible to navigate my musiclibary (no tv is connected) so i try now to organise the remote app via android and my wifirouter.
thanks in advance for your replies!
What you need is a wireless bridge.
Such as the following:
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Univers.../dp/B004UAKCS6
post #668 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM

Liked: 0
Nr1605

A few details are coming out on the NR 1605, July release date.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...nr1605/#!XUlzw

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/ma...k-av-receiver/

I have a wireless transmitter with mating wireless amp/receiver that I'd like to use for the rear channels, but it takes low level input. Would it be OK to use a line output converter for that? Otherwise I'd have to step up to the larger and more $$$ Marantz 5008.

Thanks in advance.
post #669 of 854 Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

^Vapor231,

The important feature you're looking for are preouts on the surrounds (left + right) and surround backs (left + right). If you look at all the previous models of the 160X series from Marantz, these are not available. History provides a good guide on what the future is going to be. The incremental up-grades that Marantz has been doing for these lower end models are nice, but not what you're after.

Assuming that Marantz NR-1605 doesn't have the preouts you want, you would need a high level to low level converter to implement what you want. Rocketfish is one example here: http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Uni...rds=rocketfish

If you that already in your set-up then cable accordingly from the power terminals of the NR-1605 to your converter which sends the signals wireless to the power amp that powers the surrounds are set up at.

While wireless technology is a great thing, the issues of interference hasn't been properly dealt with and you would need to check your networks to ensure trouble free operation. This is a lot harder than simply running wires from A to B.

Last edited by steveting99; 06-12-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Additional text added and wording revised.
post #670 of 854 Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
^Vapor231,

The important feature you're looking for are preouts on the surrounds (left + right) and surround backs (left + right). If you look at all the previous models of the 160X series from Marantz, these are not available. History provides a good guide on what the future is going to be. The incremental up-grades that Marantz has been doing for these lower end models are nice, but not what you're after.

Assuming that Marantz NR-1605 doesn't have the preouts you want, you would need a high level to low level converter to implement what you want. Rocketfish is one example here: http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-Uni...rds=rocketfish

If you that already in your set-up then cable accordingly from the power terminals of the NR-1605 to your converter which sends the signals wireless to the power amp that powers the surrounds are set up at.

While wireless technology is a great thing, the issues of interference hasn't been properly dealt with and you would need to check your networks to ensure trouble free operation. This is a lot harder than simply running wires from A to B.
Was looking at an LOC like this one: NVX XPLOC2. I have the older model Rocketfish RF-RBUSB and RF-FBREC which works OK standalone.

Agreed there may be issues when pairing with the mains - lag, delay, interference, etc as you mention, wireless does have a way to go there. Don't want to spend any $ on an experiment that may or may not work out. Could always use the wireless setup for Zone 2.

Hard wiring is maybe the best way to go technically. Drilling holes through the wall top plates isn't such a problem, it's just drilling holes through the fire barriers and then fishing the wires through that is the real PITA part of it.
post #671 of 854 Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

^Vapor231,

The Marantz NR series only have preouts for the front left + right and the NR-160X series have preouts for Zone 2.

For preouts to the surrounds you would need to step-up to the SR series.

post #672 of 854 Old 06-14-2014, 02:11 PM

I'm new to Marantz, I did listen to the SR-6004 and loved it. I know its an older peice but witch is the better peice, the SR6004 or the NR1604. Size is not an isue with me BUT money is.

Thanks
Kloz
post #673 of 854 Old 06-14-2014, 10:44 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2153 Post(s)
Liked: 1786
The "SR" series are the mid-level models so generally an upgrade in audio fidelity as well as features, although in this instance the as the SR6004 is 2 years older, it has the same version of Audyssey as on the NR1604, although likely still more features. Select the model that best meets your feature/input/output requirements.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #674 of 854 Old 06-20-2014, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Odd challenge - my NR1604 does not seem to play music from my NAS units anymore nor does it do airplay from my Mac or iPhone.

I have brought up the menu on my computer and tried to simply access music from the Marantz screen (as I have often done before). It shows the lists, shows it is playing and no sound comes from speakers. Similar for airplay.

Any ideas of what goof I might have done or what the glitch might be?

Thanks in advance to any and all
post #675 of 854 Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Liked: 12
NR1605 On Marantz Site

Don't know if someone has referenced this already or not, but the NR1605 [http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...ductId=NR1605] is up on the Marantz USA site. The NR1605 and the new SR5009 are up on the UK Marantz site.

I don't know if it's correct or not (a quick read of the manual, if and when it becomes available for download, would confirm or negate this), but in the description of the NR1605, it states that it can do 9.1 multichannel if the pre-outs (front L & R?) are configured for the front L-High and front R-High channels. Course, you would need an outboard stereo amp for this (as Marantz points out). Curious - wouldn't think they would have bundled this into one of their NR series receivers. What would be awesome is if you could reconfigure the front L & R high-level (speaker) outs as the front-High/Wide channels and use a separate good quality amp with the front L & R pre-outs. If this is misinformation, I apologize, but it says it right there on Marantz's site.

- da Choge

PS. Either I've forgot how to insert a link or the new protocol AVS is using for their site still needs some work. Sorry about the Marantz link - it'll work, just requires a little machination.

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #676 of 854 Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 PM
585-645-1006

^^
No change from the 1604 in this respect ... 7CH AVR with no main zone expansion until you get to the 7809.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #677 of 854 Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
No change from the 1604 in this respect ... 7CH AVR with no main zone expansion until you get to the 7809.
The Marantz site states under the "Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Pro Logic IIz" heading for the new NR1605 Overview, "It's also equipped with Dolby Pro Logic IIz, which lets you connect a pair of front height speakers to dramatically expand the front soundstage. Via the pre-amp outputs, you can choose to connect a stereo power amp and speakers for the front height channels, and enjoy a fantastic 9.1 channel surround sound experience that rivals the finest movie theaters."

Seemed to me that the whole 9.1 claim for the NR1605 was very unusual and I certainly wasn't sure whether to believe it or not, but you're always up-to-date with these things, so I assume this is something that applies to other more high-end Marantz receivers and is just an erroneous inclusion in the initial postings for the NR1605 on Marantz's site? That makes total sense, but Marantz does need to clarify this paragraph. Am I reading/interpreting this statement incorrectly, or is this just an error on Marantz's website?

- da Choge

post #678 of 854 Old 06-21-2014, 12:18 AM

^^
JD Smoothie:

The more I read over this "Dolby ProLogic IIz 9.1" referenced inclusion in the NR1605 Overview on Marantz's site, the more bogus I thought it was. Just someone's error in the initial entry for the new NR1605; it just doesn't make sense for this unit. It's too bad, but thanks for the clarification.

- da Choge

Last edited by da Choge; 06-21-2014 at 12:25 AM.
post #679 of 854 Old 06-21-2014, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

^da Choge,

I'd wait for the user/service manual to become available so someone smart like JDsmoothie can pour over it and let everyone know what it can and more importantly cannot do.

Patience is a virtue as a wise old man once told me.

post #680 of 854 Old 06-21-2014, 04:55 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge View Post
^^
JD Smoothie:

The more I read over this "Dolby ProLogic IIz 9.1" referenced inclusion in the NR1605 Overview on Marantz's site, the more bogus I thought it was. Just someone's error in the initial entry for the new NR1605; it just doesn't make sense for this unit. It's too bad, but thanks for the clarification.

- da Choge
Correct. Just a typo. The Owner's manual is available for download from the Marantz website. Note too that Front Height pre-outs are currently only on the SR7008 and will also likely only be on the SR7009.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #681 of 854 Old 07-05-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post
Odd challenge - my NR1604 does not seem to play music from my NAS units anymore nor does it do airplay from my Mac or iPhone.

I have brought up the menu on my computer and tried to simply access music from the Marantz screen (as I have often done before). It shows the lists, shows it is playing and no sound comes from speakers. Similar for airplay.

Same here, when I want to play from music from my NAS with Plex on it (dlna) it works all fine with going thru the menus but won't play music. Ends up showing the song it successfully played last time but won't play newly selected song but does not play either of them.
Airplay also no go.

Annoying! Anyone an idea how to fix this?
post #682 of 854 Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslagendijk View Post
Same here, when I want to play from music from my NAS with Plex on it (dlna) it works all fine with going thru the menus but won't play music. Ends up showing the song it successfully played last time but won't play newly selected song but does not play either of them.
Airplay also no go.

Annoying! Anyone an idea how to fix this?
Not sure if this did the trick but I changed some settings in the web controller : Setup Menu - Inputs - Hide Sources and hide some of the network features in order to restart the network feature.

Now it does play music from my NAS again (direct stream flac).
post #683 of 854 Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM

@opperwezen
How did you go with the wifi?
I notice that the usb connection onthose dongles is for supplying power so any appropriately powered usb charger should work freeing your nr1604 USB for a thumbdrive or the like.
Just purchased my own NR1604 a couple of days ago paired to PSB Alpha T1 5.1 pack and Im thoroughly impressed with the match.
I have set up a Netgear N300 Trek in wireless bridge mode for connecting it to my home wifi without difficulty. So far i have used the network to apply the firmware update and have a play with some remote apps from an iPad. Airplay from an idevice works okay but for sound only not for mirroring. In that regard it is easier to stream / connect to my home network through a connected appletv.
Hope you are enjoying music and movies as much as I am at the moment. Just watched Coldplay live in concert in DTS
post #684 of 854 Old 07-11-2014, 08:17 AM

Hey,

Well in the end i didnt connect with wifi after all. I found out how to navigate the usb-stick with mp3's via the remote and how to control the radio with the remote. Thats basically what i want at the moment. Still thanks for your reply, maybe in the future i can use your experience.

Greetz!
post #685 of 854 Old 07-11-2014, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

update to issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

This turned out to be entirely a network issue. I should have known better and opted to reserve the IP address for the Marantz and a few other devices. While I am unsure why there was a shift of IP addresses (was out of range), problem is resolved.
post #686 of 854 Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
NR1604 & BD8002 - HDMI Arcing!

Greetings! It is our first time posting to the AVS forums, but we've found plenty of useful information and advice here over the years as a lurker, so let us start out with a thank you to all the contributors here. If this is the wrong forum, please don't hesitate to move this, but seeing as this has to do with our NR1604, we figured this was a good starting point.

We've recently added an NR1604 receiver to our system, connected to a BD8002 player, Paradigm speakers and an Epson projector. Everything works quite well, and we're very happy with the sound and video.

However, we did encounter one strange thing when adding the receiver to the system. When connecting the HDMI cable from the BD8002 to the NR1604, there was visible arcing (!) when the HDMI connector shield would touch the plug shield. Enough so to be concerning.

All of our system components are plugged into a single power bar, and the cables are polarized. Both the BD8002 and NR1604 do not use the earth ground (They have two prong connections), but the Epson does.

I'm going to get my multimeter out and see what sort of potentials are present later this evening, but wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the forums as to what could be going on.
post #687 of 854 Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome to posting! I don't know what might be causing an arcing in your situation but I hope you had all the units off when connecting the HDMI cables. You should never have power to them when connecting / disconnecting.

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #688 of 854 Old 07-15-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Laura View Post
Greetings! It is our first time posting to the AVS forums, ...
Welcome to AVS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David & Laura View Post
...but we've found plenty of useful information and advice here over the years as a lurker, so let us start out with a thank you to all the contributors here. If this is the wrong forum, please don't hesitate to move this, but seeing as this has to do with our NR1604, we figured this was a good starting point.

We've recently added an NR1604 receiver to our system, connected to a BD8002 player, Paradigm speakers and an Epson projector. Everything works quite well, and we're very happy with the sound and video.

However, we did encounter one strange thing when adding the receiver to the system. When connecting the HDMI cable from the BD8002 to the NR1604, there was visible arcing (!) when the HDMI connector shield would touch the plug shield. Enough so to be concerning.

All of our system components are plugged into a single power bar, and the cables are polarized. Both the BD8002 and NR1604 do not use the earth ground (They have two prong connections), but the Epson does.

I'm going to get my multimeter out and see what sort of potentials are present later this evening, but wanted to ask the collective wisdom of the forums as to what could be going on.
Did you notice the arching on the display/projector or was it on the HDMI cable? Arching indicates a short circuit which would normally trip the protection device (fuse/circuit breaker) due to high in-rush current to ground. There would also be a burn and odor associated with this. Check the power circuits first.

post #689 of 854 Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 AM

I’ve just replaced an old DENON AVR1905 amp with the NR1604 and need some assistance with the set up. Using the front speaker pre-puts I’ve hooked up my Cambridge Audio Azur 640A to drive the front speakers, but the problem is that the Cambridge and Marantz remotes use the same codes, so as soon as I adjust the volume, the levels of the front speakers go out of proportion with the rest of the system (this didn’t happen with the Denon). Any ideas how I can get these 2 amps to work together?
post #690 of 854 Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodzinsky View Post
Welcome to posting! I don't know what might be causing an arcing in your situation but I hope you had all the units off when connecting the HDMI cables. You should never have power to them when connecting / disconnecting.
We weren't aware of any prohibitions on connecting HDMI cables when units were powered, but we did encounter the problem when all the units were off (well, in standby, since there isn't truly an "off" anymore in most modern pieces of equipment).

We'll certainly keep that in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Did you notice the arching on the display/projector or was it on the HDMI cable? Arching indicates a short circuit which would normally trip the protection device (fuse/circuit breaker) due to high in-rush current to ground. There would also be a burn and odor associated with this. Check the power circuits first.
The arcing is from the shield of the HDMI cable to the metal case (or to the HDMI connector shield).

It doesn't trip any protective devices, but it's a noticeable little blue arc (less than a mm) that jumps between the two, accompanied by a quiet little zapping sound.

No noticeable smell, and all the equipment works without trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------

We did some more testing, and here are the results:

1. The power state of the equipment doesn't make a difference. (We tried all nine possible combinations) All of the below tests were done with everything off.
2. The arcing only happens between the NR1604 & BD8002. We can't reproduce it between the NR1604 and the Epson, or between the BD8002 and the Epson
3. If the HDMI cable to the Epson is disconnected from the NR1604, there is no arcing.
4. If the HDMI cable to the Epson is half disconnected (ground only), there is no arcing. (????) That would suggest it is something on one of the HDMI pins rather then a simple ground issue.
5. Measuring the voltage across where the arc is being produced with a multimeter gives fluctuating readings, up to a couple volts AC and DC. Likely, the multimeter is too slow to show the voltage transient. I don't have the right equipment to measure ESD, and I'm not going to hook my scope up to something that arcs like this...

Very strange...

Doing a little more research, it looks like lots of people are having problems with HDMI connections causing arcs, some even to the point of damaging equipment. We're lucky that it our problem isn't as bad as what other people have encountered:

HDMI cable backfeeding Voltage from TV to cable Box
Voltage/shock issue

Given that many forums recommend grounding all of the equipment, it seems really odd that the Marantz equipment doesn't appear to have a three prong cable, or a good place to ground the units together. Any suggestions in that department?

We checked the polarity of our AC socket that everything is plugged into, and no problems there.

Last edited by David & Laura; 07-16-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page