The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 742 Old 08-08-2014, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've got my 1604 for about two months, here're some questions/issues:

1. Does marantz use different firmware for different contrary? I bought my 1604 in china and the network media only have internet radio, media server and flickr(which I could get it worked), no pandora, SiriusXM and Spotify. Can I update to US firmware and how?

2. When I connect a macbook air to 1604 via thunderbolt-HDMI adapter, nothing displayed. mac cannot see 1604 but the same setup works well when I connected to TV directly.

3. I have some multichannel flac files on NAS, when I play flac from 1604, there've downmix to two channel. If I play the same file using xbmc, 1604 shows MULTI IN and all channels played well, anyone has the same issue?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 742 Old 08-08-2014, 04:28 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnskiller View Post
I've got my 1604 for about two months, here're some questions/issues:

1. Does marantz use different firmware for different contrary? I bought my 1604 in china and the network media only have internet radio, media server and flickr(which I could get it worked), no pandora, SiriusXM and Spotify. Can I update to US firmware and how?

2. When I connect a macbook air to 1604 via thunderbolt-HDMI adapter, nothing displayed. mac cannot see 1604 but the same setup works well when I connected to TV directly.

3. I have some multichannel flac files on NAS, when I play flac from 1604, there've downmix to two channel. If I play the same file using xbmc, 1604 shows MULTI IN and all channels played well, anyone has the same issue?

thanks in advance.
1. Sorry, but no. These are region specific features.
2. Try placing an HDMI splitter/switch between the Macbook and 1604.
3 Yes.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #723 of 742 Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've this issue with my volume. I don't know much about this so I was hoping somebody up here can help me out. I'm sure it's not that difficult to solve if you're know what you're doing... (which I'm not :-p)

Since a few weeks the volume has really decreased all of the sudden; 40 is hardly to hear while 70 is acceptable. There is nothing wrong with my spreakers (I checked). When I put my receiver to internet radio or USB, the volume is much less then when I put it on tuner (where 40 is acceptable and 70 is really loud (read: too loud without upsetting the neighbours!)). This was not the case a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what happened.

I noticed though, that when I select internet radio or USB, the display says 'DIG.' This is not the case when I turn on the tuner. So I'm guessing the volume is digital or something? I tried to solve it but I can't find it.

Please help because I love to turn up my volume once in a while...

Thanks!
Wim
post #724 of 742 Old 08-14-2014, 04:17 PM

Same Volume problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimB View Post
Hi all,

I've this issue with my volume. I don't know much about this so I was hoping somebody up here can help me out. I'm sure it's not that difficult to solve if you're know what you're doing... (which I'm not :-p)

Since a few weeks the volume has really decreased all of the sudden; 40 is hardly to hear while 70 is acceptable. There is nothing wrong with my spreakers (I checked). When I put my receiver to internet radio or USB, the volume is much less then when I put it on tuner (where 40 is acceptable and 70 is really loud (read: too loud without upsetting the neighbours!)). This was not the case a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what happened.

I noticed though, that when I select internet radio or USB, the display says 'DIG.' This is not the case when I turn on the tuner. So I'm guessing the volume is digital or something? I tried to solve it but I can't find it.

Thanks!
Wim
I noticed exactly the same problem this week. Every "net" stream (internet radio, Airplay) has a very low volume. Nothing changed in my config. I executed today a factory reset but nothing changed. Is it possible there was a "silent" firmware update, maybe during one of the last nights?

thanks,
Fabio
post #725 of 742 Old 08-14-2014, 07:02 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
Wim
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiuscard View Post
I noticed exactly the same problem this week. Every "net" stream (internet radio, Airplay) has a very low volume. Nothing changed in my config. I executed today a factory reset but nothing changed. Is it possible there was a "silent" firmware update, maybe during one of the last nights?

thanks,
Fabio
This issue has cropped up on Denon models from time to time as well, generally resolved with a trip to a repair facility.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #726 of 742 Old 08-16-2014, 01:40 AM

Thanks for the answer.
On Denon forum I saw someone solved this issue by doing a firmware update from USB key, also if the firmware is the same version.
I tried it, but it seems my Maranz avoids an update if the firmware version is not newer than the installed one... :-(
I'm waiting for an answer from maranz.eu, if not, I'll send it back to Amazon.

Fabio
post #727 of 742 Old 08-17-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!
Wim
Hi Wim,
Just solved this problem on my NR1604! As suggested from jdsmoothie, the problem was present also on some Denon devices, and I saw they solved it by a USB firmware update. I did the same:

1. download the firmware from http://firmware.marantz.eu. Don't care if your device is already updated. The update process will start anyway.
2. write somewhere your actual configuration (tuner channels, audio inputs, ...) because you have to restart the configuration parameters and all data will be deleted.
3. unzip the package on a USB key and follow the instructions. I was in trouble to start the update, because the instruction said to switch on the device by pressing "Display"+"Sound mode" then "Display" for 5 seconds, but it didn't work, so I pressed also "Status" button and it worked. Play a little bit.
4. The update procedure will take about 45 min.
5. At the end I executed a reset ("power on" + "m-fax" + "zone2 source"), as suggested from the instruction. After this you have to do a complete device config.

Now my NR1604 has the right volume level on all streaming, USB and so on.
I guess (but I'm not sure) the source of this problem was a conflict between airplay from two phones.

good luck!
Fabio
post #728 of 742 Old 08-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I have a Marantz nr1604 and I am looking for some new speakers. At the moment I have small satellite speakers and a subwoofer, but I am thinking of getting some larger speakers, maybe bookshelfs, instead of the satellites, for my surround setup. I will still be using the subwoofer.

What should I be looking for in a speaker when combining them with the Marantz nr1604? I can see in the manual for the Marantz that it does not do very well with 4 ohm speakers, in fact it says that it only supports speakers down to 6 ohm and what about power, I dont need to play very loud. Any speaker suggestions? It would be interesting to know which speakers others are using with their Marantz nr1604?
post #729 of 742 Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPDK View Post
I have a Marantz nr1604 and I am looking for some new speakers. At the moment I have small satellite speakers and a subwoofer, but I am thinking of getting some larger speakers, maybe bookshelfs, instead of the satellites, for my surround setup. I will still be using the subwoofer.

What should I be looking for in a speaker when combining them with the Marantz nr1604? I can see in the manual for the Marantz that it does not do very well with 4 ohm speakers, in fact it says that it only supports speakers down to 6 ohm and what about power, I dont need to play very loud. Any speaker suggestions? It would be interesting to know which speakers others are using with their Marantz nr1604?
JDPK,

Note that Marantz specification refers to nominal impedance and not minimum impedance for driving speakers. The impedance from minimum to maximum frequency will vary, so it's best to obtain this data from test results or manufacturer's literature. If the bookshelf speaker you're interested has a nominal rating of 8 ohms, then the NR-1604 is a match.

The other thing to look at is the sensitivity of the speaker, normally rated in dB/m based on 1W of power from the amp. A doubling of power will only give an extra 3dB of sound, just detectable by most people. For a doubling in loudness, it would require a 10dB increase in sound pressure and that means 10x the power requirement from the amp. Depending on how far away you sit from the speakers, the important thing is to ensure clean power output from the amp before it clips and distorts the current waveform. The NR-1604 is rated for 50W into 8-ohm speakers (2-channels) with 0.08% THD, refer to page 219 of the owner's manual. Use the following website to determine the peak SPL based on listening position and other factors: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html, the target peak SPL for movie reference is 105dB.

Generally the further you sit away from the speakers, either you'll need more power (limited by the amp rating of the NR-1604) or higher sensitive speakers.

Improving sound quality has a number of factors. I'd try a few low cost methods initially then go up from there.
(1) Improve the front sound stage by ensuring the left, center and right speakers and yourself are in an equilateral triangle. See the attached diagram on angles as recommended by Audyssey (top view).

From Denon manual (side view):
Note the tweeters should be at ear level or pointing to your ears.
(2) In your room is it rectangular? Dimensions and sketch of your listening position would be useful. If your room is retangular, is the front sound stage along the narrow wall? Try having the listening position either at 38% from the front wall or back wall. These positions have generally less bass variance compared to being in the middle of the room.
(3) What is the lowest frequency rating (F3) of your current satellites (make and model number would be useful)? If it is below 80Hz and if you've run Audyssey setup, go ahead and raise the crossover to 80Hz.
(4) Have you done a sub crawl to find the best placement for the sub? What type of sub have you got currently? Try the following helpful video by Axiom

After making speaker and listening position adjustments, be sure to re-run Audyssey setup.

If you're thinking of spending some extra cash, consider a 2nd sub to improve the bass response in the room and dealing with room modes.

Room treatment in the form of broadband and bass traps are another cost effective means to improve sound quality.

The idea is improving the room which acts as a filter between your speakers and your ears. It would make little sense in having a bad room with expensive speakers.

If you're still not happy with your sound stage after going through the above, then consider an up-grade to better speakers.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #730 of 742 Old 08-19-2014, 04:07 AM

Thanks steveting99 for a really great and informative answer.

The room is around 5m x 5m, and the distance from sweetspot/main listening position to the center speaker is around 3.0m and 3.5m to the left and the right speakers. The distance to the back speakers is around 2.0m.

My speakers are 5 cambridge audio minx min11 satellites and a cambridge audio x300 subwoofer. The satellite speakers are 8 ohm and 85db sensitivity.

The reason why I am thinking of an upgrade is that the sound from my front left, right and center speaker is a little thin and bright. So my thoughts are what to do, to get a better and more full bodied sound. Should I buy the cambridge audio minx min21 as new front and center speakers? Would that make enough difference? Or should I go for larger speakers/bookshelfs?
post #731 of 742 Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 AM

I am trying to put together following at my home.
TV - Panasonic Plasma 42in
STB - Sky
Speakers - BA Soundware XS 5.1
AVR - Marantz NR 1604
Blu Ray - Samsung
WD Media Player

bit confused about connecting following. Hence here to seek your advice.

What's the plan tentatively?
Marantz -> HDMI -> Panasonic
STB -> HDMI -> Panasonic
STB -> Optical -> Marantz
Blu-Ray -> HDMI -> Marantz
WD Media -> HDMI -> Marantz
Marantz -> Speaker Cable-> BA Speakers

Would this suffice or do I need to channel audio of BluRay Player and WD Media Player to Marantz just like STB? If yes, how to go about it?
Also what is the downside of connecting everything to AVR and having a single HDMI out to TV?

thanks
post #732 of 742 Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrolls View Post
I am trying to put together following at my home.
TV - Panasonic Plasma 42in
STB - Sky
Speakers - BA Soundware XS 5.1
AVR - Marantz NR 1604
Blu Ray - Samsung
WD Media Player

bit confused about connecting following. Hence here to seek your advice.

What's the plan tentatively?
Marantz -> HDMI -> Panasonic
STB -> HDMI -> Panasonic
STB -> Optical -> Marantz
Blu-Ray -> HDMI -> Marantz
WD Media -> HDMI -> Marantz
Marantz -> Speaker Cable-> BA Speakers

Would this suffice or do I need to channel audio of BluRay Player and WD Media Player to Marantz just like STB? If yes, how to go about it?
Also what is the downside of connecting everything to AVR and having a single HDMI out to TV?

thanks
Welcome to AVS rocknrolls.

Try STB --> HDMI --> Maratnz connection. The reason for this is to give on-screen overlay (i.e. volume adjustments or when you press the info button on the remote) via the TV when the Sky STB is on.

Just follow the setup instructions given to you by BA SoundWare XS 5.1 to connect with the NR-1604. Consider using banana plugs (if permissible in your country) as it helps in swapping the +/- leads when Audyssey detects incorrect phase for each speaker.

Provided your Main Listening Position (MLP) isn't far from the satellites, you should be good to go.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 08-19-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo and clarification
post #733 of 742 Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks steveting99 for a really great and informative answer.

The room is around 5m x 5m, and the distance from sweetspot/main listening position to the center speaker is around 3.0m and 3.5m to the left and the right speakers. The distance to the back speakers is around 2.0m.

My speakers are 5 cambridge audio minx min11 satellites and a cambridge audio x300 subwoofer. The satellite speakers are 8 ohm and 85db sensitivity.

The reason why I am thinking of an upgrade is that the sound from my front left, right and center speaker is a little thin and bright. So my thoughts are what to do, to get a better and more full bodied sound. Should I buy the cambridge audio minx min21 as new front and center speakers? Would that make enough difference? Or should I go for larger speakers/bookshelfs?
JDPK,

Your room is a perfect square and will have room mode issues. What is the floor to ceiling height?

If you've tried the previous suggestions and still unhappy with the CA Minx Min11, the next step is to consider replacing the front sound stage of left, center and right transducers (speakers).

Generally the lower the F3 (-3dB of the lowest frequency) rating of the transducer, the better the bass reproduction. You may have discovered that even though the Min11 F3 is rated at 120Hz, this is somewhat optimistic. There is a thread for the CA Minx series of speakers and the thread starter is quite familiar with the limitations of the Minx speakers.

Unless you have the transducer at the room corner where the bass frequencies are excited or at least on the wall, the crossover to the sub needs to be around 150Hz. The smaller the transducer driver, the higher the crossover frequency needed.

To get a more full bodied sound, the mid-bass to mid frequencies need to be smooth. The following website gives a nice pictorial of the frequency range with various instruments: http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

Play some tunes where some of these instruments are prominent and check if there is anything missing or prominent that would lead you to question the sound reproduction of the Min11.

The best way is to carry out an in-room frequency sweep measurement. A free program called Room Equalization Wizard (REW) and a calibrated USB microphone is a useful measurement tool. It would help identify peaks, nulls, poor decay, early reflections, etc. that affect sound quality. If you're serious about improving sound in the room, I would recommend looking into this.

Every listening room is different.

post #734 of 742 Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 AM

Thanks steveting99
The room height is around 2.55 meters. I think I will have to take a closer look at the possible problems with accoustics in my room, and make some changes. And then give the Cambridge audio minx min11 another chance.
I am not so happy with large speakers/floorstanders etc., because of space restrictions in my livingroom. That is why I would like to make my current system work a little better.
Maybe it could be a possibility, besides accoustic changes, to go for the larger min21 in the future or another in the future updated version of the minx speaker.
post #735 of 742 Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks steveting99
The room height is around 2.55 meters. I think I will have to take a closer look at the possible problems with accoustics in my room, and make some changes. And then give the Cambridge audio minx min11 another chance.
I am not so happy with large speakers/floorstanders etc., because of space restrictions in my livingroom. That is why I would like to make my current system work a little better.
Maybe it could be a possibility, besides accoustic changes, to go for the larger min21 in the future or another in the future updated version of the minx speaker.
JPDK,

I'll reply to your thread regarding speaker request.

Post back here if you've got specific NR-1604 questions.
DanHorse likes this.

post #736 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Guys, I am considering getting the NR1504 from a local store at sale price.

My issue is I can only run 3.0 setup, left right and centre. Can I do this with the NR and also be able to set speakers size to 'small'? I need to keep the bass and loud effects down as much as possible, manually eq-ing would also be advantageous to me.

Best,

Dan
post #737 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHorse View Post

My issue is I can only run 3.0 setup, left right and centre. Can I do this with the NR and also be able to set speakers size to 'small'? I need to keep the bass and loud effects down as much as possible, manually eq-ing would also be advantageous to me.
DanHorse,

3.0 is doable with the NR-1504.

Once you run Audyssey setup, the AVR will determine if your speakers are SMALL or LARGE based on the F3 response in your room.

You'll have ability to raise the crossover frequency to cut off bass on the front sound stage.

There are other features in the receiver that will help tame loud effects. This includes Reference Level Offset (RLO), Dynamic Volume, etc.
DanHorse likes this.

Last edited by steveting99; 08-28-2014 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Typo
post #738 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
DanHorse,

3.0 is doable with the NR-1504.

Once you run Audyssey setup, the AVR will determine if your speakers are SMALL or LARGE based on the F3 response in your room.

You'll have ability to raise the crossover frequency to cut off bass on the front sound stage.

There are other features in the receiver that will help tame loud effects. This includes Reference Level Offset (RLO), Dynamic Volume, etc.
Thanks. So Audyssey will still run ok with only 3.0? if it recognises 3.0 then i should not lose any rear channel info (unlike on my current cambridge 351r.....)

Best,

Dan
post #739 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:32 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHorse View Post

If there is no sub in the setup, after running Audyssey the FL/FR speakers will be set to LARGE. Although you can reset them to SMALL/80Hz and lose the lower bass freq all together, you can also use the Dyn Volume setting to minimize the louder bass freq if you want to leave them set to LARGE. Also with only 3 speakers, any 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks will be down mixed to the 3.0 setup with the 0.1 LFE being split between the FL/FR speakers.
DanHorse likes this.

post #740 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If there is no sub in the setup, after running Audyssey the FL/FR speakers will be set to LARGE. Although you can reset them to SMALL/80Hz and lose the lower bass freq all together, you can also use the Dyn Volume setting to minimize the louder bass freq if you want to leave them set to LARGE. Also with only 3 speakers, any 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks will be down mixed to the 3.0 setup with the 0.1 LFE being split between the FL/FR speakers.
Appreciate the replies both.

So will i just lose the info that would have gone to the rears? (sorry, new to setting up av amps, i struggled along with stereo av sound for so long).

Best,

Dan
post #741 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:41 AM
585-645-1006

You won't lose any speaker information. As I said, any unused speaker channels will simply be down mixed into however many speakers you have connected .. whether only 2 or 3.
DanHorse likes this.

post #742 of 742 Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You won't lose any speaker information. As I said, any unused speaker channels will simply be down mixed into however many speakers you have connected .. whether only 2 or 3.
Excellent, my mind is made up then. Much appreciated, both of you have helped me tremendously!

Best,

Dan
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1604 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page