The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 761 Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

thinking of grabbing a 1604 as they are on run out specials at the moment.

can someone please confirm if the below will work:

my (now & future) gear:
Samsung LED tv (with separate control box)
B&O Beolab 18s (with RCA line-in) to be used as stereo fronts.
ceiling speakers as rears surround.

I am using the B&O speakers for the TVs and internet radio 99% of the time. I have a HT so dont really need 5.1 setup.
the B&O rep said I as the Beolab 18s are active speakers, I just need an amp with pre-outs which the 1604 has.

so... can I connect it this way:

Samsung out to 1604 via optical (for TV sounds)
Marantz pre-outs to B&Os as L&R fronts
connect ceiling speakers at the rear to 1604 via speakers terminals

so, when I am watching tv, I will get stereo sound from the B&O (assuming I turned off the tv stock speakers).

will the rears sound too?

and if I play a DVD in the system, what happens to the centre (that's missing). can I use the TV speakers as centre? or the 1604 will down spec the sounds to the L&R fronts and L&R rears?

and can the 1604 choose (ie A/B speakers), so if I am just playing normal radio, I can have it playing thru the rear ceiling speakers only, and not have the B&O on? assuming I still connect the ceiling speakers to the "surround rear" terminals at the back.

sorry for my English. hope it makes sense.
jsut need to make sure before I order the 1604....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 761 Old 09-09-2014, 06:55 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^
With your 4.0 setup, the AVR will downmix the center channel audio to the FL/FR speakers. The FL/FR speakers can be connected to the FL/FR pre-outs. When set to STEREO only the FL/FR speakers will play. However, the ceiling speakers must be connected to the Surr speaker posts and Front B option only works with Surr Back speaker posts which would require another set of speakers for Front B only.

Also note that regardless of where you physically place the single set of ceiling speakers (to the sides or to the rear), they are still considered "side" surrounds, ideally placed to either side of your couch, and therefore can only be connected to the "Surround" speaker posts. A second set of surround speakers are then considered to be "Rear" speakers that would be connected to the Surr Back speaker posts which are then placed "behind" the couch.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 09-09-2014 at 07:01 AM.
post #753 of 761 Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertommy6 View Post
Does anybody have any experience using playlist files with these receivers? I have the NR1504, and when I save an m3u playlist file on my media server, the 1504 doesn't recognize it and make it available in the menus. Everything I've read indicates that the receiver can recognize and play m3u's, and I've not found anyone else who has similar problems. Any ideas?
I just wanted to follow up on this in case anybody else has a similar issue. As I mentioned, I was using Winamp to create my m3u files, however I did not mention that I was running Winamp on a different computer than the Media Server. As such, Winamp created the m3u file using the UNC network path. It turns out that the Marantz will only recognize playlists with a relative path.

For example, the path should look like this: ..\music\filename.mp3
and NOT like this: \\MediaServer\music\filename.mp3

I opened the m3u files in Notepad and then did a find and replace. The files were then recognized by the Marantz and played properly.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone in the future!

Tom
post #754 of 761 Old 09-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Back with another subwoofer question. Thanks for your answers so far.
Still trying to get it right stereo (excuse me, "dual channel"). After playing with various manual settings, I got nothing out of the sub. For fun I switched to ALL CHANNEL STEREO and everything worked! This is on a 3.1 setup, so there are no other speaker channels involved - just the fronts and sub.
It appears I've been conflicting the low frequency management, by setting the crossover in the AVR and also using the frequency cutoff knob on the subwoofer.
So now the question is, which is the better method: turn the speaker knob to the upper limit (120 Hz) and let the AVR manage the crossover (at, say, 60-80 Hz), or vice versa? (The B&W speaker manual says do it on the speaker.)
Thank you again.
post #755 of 761 Old 09-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwally View Post
Back with another subwoofer question. Thanks for your answers so far.
Still trying to get it right stereo (excuse me, "dual channel"). After playing with various manual settings, I got nothing out of the sub. For fun I switched to ALL CHANNEL STEREO and everything worked! This is on a 3.1 setup, so there are no other speaker channels involved - just the fronts and sub.
It appears I've been conflicting the low frequency management, by setting the crossover in the AVR and also using the frequency cutoff knob on the subwoofer.
So now the question is, which is the better method: turn the speaker knob to the upper limit (120 Hz) and let the AVR manage the crossover (at, say, 60-80 Hz), or vice versa? (The B&W speaker manual says do it on the speaker.)
Thank you again.
Hi jimwally,

Please provide some details on your setup. This includes the make and model of your speakers and sub, the AVR, room dimensions, where your Main Listening Position (MLP) is and a sketch would be useful.

How have you connected the sub to the AVR? What are the settings on the sub?

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #756 of 761 Old 09-13-2014, 07:40 PM

Thanks, steveting.

Marantz 1604
B&W 685 fronts, bi-amp wired
B&W HTM62 center
B&W 608 subwoofer

My original question (post #748 ) had to do with switching between watching a movie in 3.1 and listening to stereo music with a sub.
The B&W manual says for Home Theater (x.1) to turn Low Pass Filter OUT; for stereo (2.0) to switch the filter to IN and adjust the Low Pass Frequency knob on the sub to complement and extend the lower frequencies of the fronts. Basically I didn't want to have to get up and flip a switch on the back of the subwoofer.
What is working now is simply keeping the Low Pass Filter OUT for everything, turning the Low Pass Frequency all the way up on the speaker (to 140 Hz), and setting the crossover on the AVR (to 60 Hz). My problem came from setting crossover frequencies on both the speaker and the AVR.
So the original question is moot. The AVR does the right thing depending on the coding of the input -- the subwoofer (LFE) signal in 3.1 and the crossover to the sub in 2.0. I can remain seated. And I'm leaving Audyssey out of it.
Thanks again.
post #757 of 761 Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...The AVR does the right thing depending on the coding of the input -- the subwoofer (LFE) signal in 3.1 and the crossover to the sub in 2.0. I can remain seated. And I'm leaving Audyssey out of it.
Thanks again.
Something doesn't look right in your setup.

At the back of the NR-1604, the sub pre-out needs to be connected to the one of the line-in of the ASW608 sub. See Figure 3 of your sub owner's manual.

On the ASW608 sub owner's manual page 12, the settings should be as follows.
  • Set the LOW-PASS FILTER switch to OUT
  • Set the EQ switch initially to position A
  • Set the PHASE switch initially to 0 deg
  • Set the LOW-PASS FREQ (frequency) control to 140 - this is ignored using line-in from the NR-1604
  • Set bass extension to A - lowest extension of the sub
Then set the volume line in to about 12 o'clock position, ensure the unit is always switch ON.

At the Main Listening Position (MLP) using the supplied mic, have it at ear level using a boom stand mic stand (like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000978D58/...MJOW5K65&psc=1) and adapter (like this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GWCC4I/...I224NHN0YP4MZR). Then run Audyssey setup. It will ping each speaker and the sub.

After the 1st run, save and exit.

Check the level, crossover and distance settings for each speaker - especially the sub. What are the values? If the sub level are more than 12dB (either + or -), adjust the volume line according. I.e. if it is showing -12dB, bring the volume down more.

Re-run Audyssey setup and check the results for the 1st run. You want to be around +/-3dB or close zero.

After you've done the above, go to the speaker tab. In the speaker configuration - set all speakers to 'SMALL'. In the crossover tab, select 'ALL' and set to 80Hz.

Report back what you hear.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 09-14-2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: provided links and additional text for clarification
post #758 of 761 Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 PM

Yes, indeed, I followed the speaker manual. The subwoofer's connected properly: sub OUT to speaker LINE IN, main speakers set to SMALL.
3.1 programming sounds just fine.
To reiterate, the problem was simply switching back and forth between surround sound and stereo listening. The stereo problem was solved by setting the low frequency crossover through the Marantz bass settings, not on the speaker itself. It's all good now. Maybe I'll run Audyssey, and maybe not.
The Harmony 650 remote is a big help. For Watch a Movie I added the additional step of sending the command ModeMovie to the AVR (to engage 3.1), and for Listen to Music the additional step of sending the command ModeMusic (to use 2.0, with a 60 Hz crossover to the sub).
Again, I appreciate the help. Great forum here.
Kudos also to you, jdsmoothie.
post #759 of 761 Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...Maybe I'll run Audyssey, and maybe not....
If you haven't run the 6 position mic setup with Audyssey, it is highly recommended. Use a microphone boom stand + adapter with your Audyssey mic as it gives more consistent/repeatable results and ensure you're at least 24" away from reflective walls. Try the following 6 positions.
  • 1st position is Main Listening Position (MLP) at center of your head.
  • 2nd position is 3 inches forward of MLP
  • 3rd position is 3 inches up of MLP
  • 4th position is 3 inches up & 3 inches forward of MLP
  • 5th position is 3 inches left of MLP
  • 6th position is 3 inches right of MLP

You can always turn Audyssey OFF if you don't like the sound. Tone controls are available to adjust bass/treble to your preference.

When Audyssey is ON, engage MultiEQ. You have the option of turning Dynamic Volume ON/OFF and play around with the parameters. The same thing with Reference Level Offset and it's parameters.

There's lots of things to do to tailor the sound to one's taste.

Last edited by steveting99; 09-14-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: typo
post #760 of 761 Old Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all, I've been searching this thread for how the A/B speaker settings work with this reciever.

I'm planning on buying this receiver to use with a 5.1 system for my living room but would like to have the "B" speakers play in the adjacent dining room for music listening while playing music over the 5.1. I have no wants for listening to different material in different zones simultaneously. I've been through the manual but couldn't figure out how to accomplish this other than that it could be done.

Can it be done for sure? And how do you toggle the A/B speaker selector? Is there a button, or am I required navigate the menus? I'm asking because my wife's totally technology illiterate. And too stubborn to even try to learn. So I'm trying to keep this as easy as possible.

Thanks in advance.
post #761 of 761 Old Yesterday, 03:23 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
^^
Yes, it can be done. Set the AMP ASSIGN setting (p. 124 Owner's manual) to "Front B" and connect your Front B speakers to the SURR BACK speaker posts. You will then have to manually go in to the GUI to change the Front Speaker setting (p. 126) to "A+B" when you wanted to listen to audio to both A and B speakers. If you never plan on using your Front A speakers for STEREO listening, you can make things somewhat easier when you want audio to the Front B speakers only. When the STEREO surround mode is selected, you can change the Front Speaker setting to Front B. And then whenever you wanted audio only to the Front B speakers, you would simply select the STEREO surround mode in the future.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1604 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page