Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 830 Old 11-01-2014, 04:32 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Liked: 1699
^^
1. No, not possible with the NR1604 rather you will get only on board sources (networking, Airplay, USB) and those external devices connected with an analog cable to independently play to Zone 2. To also gain HDMI and digitally connected sources as well, you would have to upgrade to the SR6008. However, note that using the All Zone Stereo surround mode with the NR1604, you could pass the HDMI source playing in the main zone also to Zone 2.

2. Zone 2 speakers could be powered by the 1604 or via the Zone 2 pre-outs to an external amp. In either case, the speaker posts and Zone 2 pre-outs are only hot when Zone 2 is powered on.

3. Main zone can be muted while listening to Zone 2.
hovercraft likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 830 Old 11-01-2014, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
1. No, not possible with the NR1604 rather you will get only on board sources (networking, Airplay, USB) and those external devices connected with an analog cable to independently play to Zone 2. To also gain HDMI and digitally connected sources as well, you would have to upgrade to the SR6008. However, note that using the All Zone Stereo surround mode with the NR1604, you could pass the HDMI source playing in the main zone also to Zone 2.

2. Zone 2 speakers could be powered by the 1604 or via the Zone 2 pre-outs to an external amp. In either case, the speaker posts and Zone 2 pre-outs are only hot when Zone 2 is powered on.

3. Main zone can be muted while listening to Zone 2.
Thank you for the reply!

I have a few more questions if I may

So it is possible for any input to output audio to Zone 2 - so long as 'All Zone Stereo' is selected? I don't mind it being a singular source in both zones so long as it will output in Zone 2. I would not be wanting to listen / view anything in the main zone when listening in Zone 2.

You say it will pass the source (audio?) of any selected HDMI input in this mode - what is the difference between it passing through in Zone 2 and not as would be the case if it 'All Zone Stereo' were not selected?

So in order to achieve the above - would I need to power up the main zone & Zone 2 - and the mute the main zone? i.e. it is not possible to just power up Zone 2 to get the result I want?

Finally I wanted to be sure that once the main zone was muted - that no further commands (volume / channel changing etc) would un-mute the main zone?

Sorry for all of the questions - I am new to AV standards and how they operate!

Thanks again
post #813 of 830 Old 11-01-2014, 06:51 AM
585-645-1006

^^
1. Correct.
2. Difference discussed in previous post.
3. Both zones powered on as GUI only displays on main zone.
4. When main zone muted, it must be powered on for any button to have any effect.
hovercraft likes this.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #814 of 830 Old 11-01-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
^^
1. Correct.
2. Difference discussed in previous post.
3. Both zones powered on as GUI only displays on main zone.
4. When main zone muted, it must be powered on for any button to have any effect.
Thanks!

Re: 2 - I couldn't find the post relating to the differences - I'll keep searching.
Re: 3 - I guess I could add a monitor in Zone 2 and split the single HMDI output via a HDMI splitter / switch in order to access the GUI?

I am also looking at the Denon AVR-X3000 which seems to offer slightly more flexible Zone 2 options.

Thanks again
post #815 of 830 Old 11-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so it is driving me crazy, and I am having difficulty finding an answer that makes sense to me.

I've had my nr1604 for about 8 months. I have a cable box, Roku, Blu Ray, and Wii U hooked up -- all audio and video passing through the receiver. More frequently lately, I've been getting the HDCP errors and having to disconnect and reconnect the source having the issue and the nr1604.

First off, it is a pain. Second, I am not sure I could teach my wife and kids to do it if I weren't home.

My question is -- is this more likely (a) the receiver, (b) the cable, or (c) the television (I have a Panasonic LCD that is at least 6 or 7 years old)...? I am leaning toward the TV, but don't want to tell my wife a new TV would fix the issue and then not have it fix the issue.

Anyone able to help me understand what is likely causing these errors?

Thanks!
Kaz
post #816 of 830 Old 11-02-2014, 01:40 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
Thanks!

Re: 2 - I couldn't find the post relating to the differences - I'll keep searching.
Re: 3 - I guess I could add a monitor in Zone 2 and split the single HMDI output via a HDMI splitter / switch in order to access the GUI?

I am also looking at the Denon AVR-X3000 which seems to offer slightly more flexible Zone 2 options.

Thanks again
2. Post 811 discusses the differences.
3. Yes, this would work, or you can also use a smart phone Remote app or a laptop/iPad/tablet using the Web Control feature.

Denon X3000 is the sister model to the SR6008, so then would offer similar Zone 2 features as discussed in post 811.

post #817 of 830 Old 11-02-2014, 01:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekaz1969 View Post
Ok, so it is driving me crazy, and I am having difficulty finding an answer that makes sense to me.

I've had my nr1604 for about 8 months. I have a cable box, Roku, Blu Ray, and Wii U hooked up -- all audio and video passing through the receiver. More frequently lately, I've been getting the HDCP errors and having to disconnect and reconnect the source having the issue and the nr1604.

First off, it is a pain. Second, I am not sure I could teach my wife and kids to do it if I weren't home.

My question is -- is this more likely (a) the receiver, (b) the cable, or (c) the television (I have a Panasonic LCD that is at least 6 or 7 years old)...? I am leaning toward the TV, but don't want to tell my wife a new TV would fix the issue and then not have it fix the issue.

Thanks!
Kaz
If just the cable box, this is common and much better to connect HDMI to TV with optical from box to AVR. Otherwise, if from all sources, try doing the HDMI HDCP reset I describe in the post listed below. If still no joy, then very well could be the TV. Try connecting another TV to confirm.

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

post #818 of 830 Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Thanks!
Kaz
Kaz,

HDMI is an end to end solution that's been designed to fail so that handshakes have to happen. What you want to do is minimize the number of handshakes that occur.

(1) Check to make sure all your HDMI cables are high speed and at 6' in length which the specs are written around. If you have different spec cables, make them all the same to minimize issues.

(2) Check that all your HDMI cable connectors are seated properly. The HDMI connectors are designed to be friction fit and if the cable (which can have some weight) tugs at an angle, it could cause the connector to come loose. If you have wall connectors or such in-between the source and sink, bypass them for the time being and do a direct connection.

(3) Turn ON sequence can be important minimize handshake issues. If you have a universal remote such as Logitech Harmony, you can program it such that the TV comes ON first (sink), then the receiver then the source last.

(4) Check the settings on the source. Things such as Deep Color doesn't do anything expect load up the bandwidth and cause additional handshakes to happen. If you have this or anything that increases bandwidth requirements, set them to OFF.

(5) On the receiver, try selecting pass through of video with no processing. If you cable source native resolution is 1080i, use that as it has a lower bandwidth requirement and let the TV do the de-interlacing.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 11-02-2014 at 06:24 AM. Reason: additional text for clarity
post #819 of 830 Old 11-02-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
Kaz,

HDMI is an end to end solution that's been designed to fail so that handshakes have to happen. What you want to do is minimize the number of handshakes that occur.

(1) Check to make sure all your HDMI cables are high speed and at 6' in length which the specs are written around. If you have different spec cables, make them all the same to minimize issues.
Anyone recommend any particular brand of cables?
post #820 of 830 Old 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone recommend any particular brand of cables?
Kaz,

AVS forum sponsers Monoprice and Blue Jeans provide HDMI cables at competitive prices. Click the respective logos at the bottom of the page.

Maranatz NR1504, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
post #821 of 830 Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
2. Post 811 discusses the differences.
3. Yes, this would work, or you can also use a smart phone Remote app or a laptop/iPad/tablet using the Web Control feature.

Denon X3000 is the sister model to the SR6008, so then would offer similar Zone 2 features as discussed in post 811.
Thanks again

Re: the differences - I should have clarified a little better. I meant to ask what if any differences there were regards sound quality / processing / signal routing / available parameters etc with the HDMI passthrough when in 'All Zone Stereo'.

I looked at the Marantz SR-6008 - and indeed it is strikingly similar to the Denon AVR-X3000. Having downloaded the manuals for both - one could be forgiven for thinking they came from the same manufacturer?! Looking at other similarly spec'd models from other manufacturers - again the manuals & specs are remarkably similar. Are these all manufactured by the same companies with just subtle differences in spec and packaging?!

It would appear from my research that the Marantz models sell at a slight premium.

I am still erring toward the NR1604 - although I do like the InstaPrevue feature of the SR-6008 - and I see it has Audyssey MultEQ XT. Given I won't be watching / listening to anything in the main zone when I am in Zone 2 - if I understand correctly I can get pretty much the same result as the SR-6008 by operating the receiver in 'All Zone Stereo' mode in order to listen to any HDMI input which is then passed though to Zone 2 pre-outs - muting the main zone speakers & splitting the HDMI output in order to view the content / GUI in Zone 2.

Last edited by hovercraft; 11-03-2014 at 05:49 AM.
post #822 of 830 Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
The SR series use the more advanced Audyssey XT and so sound quality is expected to be better. All Zone Stereo reacts the same way on both models.

post #823 of 830 Old 11-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Confirmation of 2 features

Hi,

I'd like someone who owns the nr1504 or nr1604 to confirm whether or not two features work:

1. After setting up Audyssey, does it work while listening to music with Airplay? This does not work on mine -- when Airplay is active, my subwoofer does not produce output and the Audyssey light is out on the front panel.

2. When streaming music from a media server -- if I select a song via the receiver and its display, I can use the remote control to pause music or skip forwards or backwards. If I select a song via the Marantz iOS app (running on an iPad), I can't use the remote control to pause or skip. I Can pause or skip using the iOS app, tho. The feature I need is to select a song via the iOS app and then control pause and skipping via the remote control.

Would someone please confirm how these two features work on their receiver? I really need both of these features to work. If they don't work, I may return the receiver. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by poggio; 11-18-2014 at 11:35 AM.
post #824 of 830 Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poggio View Post
Hi,

I'd like someone who owns the nr1504 or nr1604 to confirm whether or not two features work:

1. After setting up Audyssey, does it work while listening to music with Airplay? This does not work on mine -- when Airplay is active, my subwoofer does not produce output and the Audyssey light is out on the front panel.

2. When streaming music from a media server -- if I select a song via the receiver and its display, I can use the remote control to pause music or skip forwards or backwards. If I select a song via the Marantz iOS app (running on an iPad), I can't use the remote control to pause or skip. I Can pause or skip using the iOS app, tho. The feature I need is to select a song via the iOS app and then control pause and skipping via the remote control.

Would someone please confirm how these two features work on their receiver? I really need both of these features to work. If they don't work, I may return the receiver. Thanks for your help.
Hi poggio,

I've just done a test with the Marantz NR-1504 with hardwired connection to the router and using iPad mini with the default iTunes player. Selected the Marantz NR-1504 as the speakers via Airplay, selected a playlist and able to stream some tunes. Answering your questions specifically.

1. On the front face plate of the NR-1504, I can see Audyssey light up during Airplay. Was able to switch it ON/OFF and there was a notable sound quality difference. Used the web interface on the iPad mini for switching ON/OFF Audyssey.

2. After starting to stream from the iPad mini and using the supplied Marantz NR-1504 remote, was able to pause/play/skip forward/skip backward each streamed tune.

post #825 of 830 Old 11-18-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Hi poggio,

I've just done a test with the Marantz NR-1504 with hardwired connection to the router and using iPad mini with the default iTunes player. Selected the Marantz NR-1504 as the speakers via Airplay, selected a playlist and able to stream some tunes. Answering your questions specifically.

1. On the front face plate of the NR-1504, I can see Audyssey light up during Airplay. Was able to switch it ON/OFF and there was a notable sound quality difference. Used the web interface on the iPad mini for switching ON/OFF Audyssey.

2. After starting to stream from the iPad mini and using the supplied Marantz NR-1504 remote, was able to pause/play/skip forward/skip backward each streamed tune.
Thanks for trying this out; I very much appreciate it. To be completely clear on item 2, did you start playing music using the media server input (not Airplay) and did you use the Marantz app on the iPad to select the music from the media server? Under those conditions, the supplied remote control won't pause or skip for me.

Thanks again.
post #826 of 830 Old 11-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for trying this out; I very much appreciate it. To be completely clear on item 2, did you start playing music using the media server input (not Airplay) and did you use the Marantz app on the iPad to select the music from the media server? Under those conditions, the supplied remote control won't pause or skip for me.

Thanks again.
For the streaming test under item 2, the input on the NR-1504 was selected to NETWORK. The receiver automatically switched to this input under testing of item 1. On the iPad mini the playlist included all files that is stored locally. As far as I know, with an iDevice the simpliest streaming method is Airplay and using the receiver as the 'speakers'. When syncing with iTunes on the PC all media files are transferred to the iDevice.

Unless you have a more complicated setup that I can replicate and test for, the above does work as expected.

post #827 of 830 Old 11-19-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
For the streaming test under item 2, the input on the NR-1504 was selected to NETWORK. The receiver automatically switched to this input under testing of item 1. On the iPad mini the playlist included all files that is stored locally. As far as I know, with an iDevice the simpliest streaming method is Airplay and using the receiver as the 'speakers'. When syncing with iTunes on the PC all media files are transferred to the iDevice.

Unless you have a more complicated setup that I can replicate and test for, the above does work as expected.
Yes, my setup is a bit more complex. I have 3 relevant devices: a media server (actually a Mac mini), an iPad, and the nr1504. Using the Marantz app on the iPad, I select the media server input. Again using the Marantz app on the iPad, I select my media server and then a song on the server. The nr1504 then plays the song by streaming it from the media server, but not by using Airplay; another protocol is used, probably rtsp. When I do all of this, pause and skipping from the Marantz-supplied remote fail to work.

By the way, after you confirmed that Audyssey and Airplay work together, I investigated my system a bit more. Apparently, Airplay on the nr1504 has it's own setup and that had accidentally been set to "direct"; as a result, Audyssey was inactive. I changed the setup and it now works as expected. So, thanks again.

Finally, one more anomaly: when using Airplay and changing the volume via the Marantz-supplied remote and the 0-90 scale, sometimes when I try to make a small adjustment (say, 61.0 to 61.5), I can see the display change from 61.0 to 61.5 and back to 61.0 so that the volume doesn't actually change at all. This seems to happen when the volume is in the 50s to 60s and, once it starts, it is repeatable. I can always make a big change then little changes will work again. Has anyone else seen this?
post #828 of 830 Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, my setup is a bit more complex. I have 3 relevant devices: a media server (actually a Mac mini), an iPad, and the nr1504. Using the Marantz app on the iPad, I select the media server input. Again using the Marantz app on the iPad, I select my media server and then a song on the server. The nr1504 then plays the song by streaming it from the media server, but not by using Airplay; another protocol is used, probably rtsp. When I do all of this, pause and skipping from the Marantz-supplied remote fail to work...
Is your Mac mini connected to the router? Either wired/wireless.

Don't have a Mac and got a PC with iTunes. It's a wireless connection. Did the following test.
  • Started iTunes on the PC.
  • Under iTunes, selected the Marantz NR-1504 as the 'speakers'.
  • On the NR-1504, selected NETWORK as the input source.
  • Initiated a playlist on iTunes, tunes was being streamed from the PC iTunes to the NR-1504.
  • Using the supplied Marantz NR-1504 remote was able to skip forward/backward, play/pause the tunes.

Think the issue is your Mac mini is the connection via HDMI to the NR-1504. This type of connection doesn't allow control of the source device, unlike NETWORK.

Quote:
...Finally, one more anomaly: when using Airplay and changing the volume via the Marantz-supplied remote and the 0-90 scale, sometimes when I try to make a small adjustment (say, 61.0 to 61.5), I can see the display change from 61.0 to 61.5 and back to 61.0 so that the volume doesn't actually change at all. This seems to happen when the volume is in the 50s to 60s and, once it starts, it is repeatable. I can always make a big change then little changes will work again. Has anyone else seen this?
Sorry, haven't come across this problem before. Try a soft reset to see if the it goes away.

Last edited by steveting99; 11-19-2014 at 05:47 PM. Reason: text revised for clarity
post #829 of 830 Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Don't have a Mac and got a PC with iTunes. It's a wireless connection. Did the following test.
  • Initiated a playlist on iTunes, tunes was being streamed from the PC iTunes to the NR-1504.
  • Using the supplied Marantz NR-1504 remote was able to skip forward/backward, play/pause the tunes.

Think the issue is your Mac mini is the connection via HDMI to the NR-1504. This type of connection doesn't allow control of the source device, unlike NETWORK.

Sorry, haven't come across this problem before. Try a soft reset to see if the it goes away.
Steveting99, you're very helpful and I really appreciate it. Servers, including media servers, are pretty much always connected to clients via a network. My media server is connected to the nr1504 by wired Ethernet, not HDMI. To duplicate my setup, you'd need your PC to have media server/DLNA software running. Then you could connect to it via the media server input on the nr1504. And then, you might see my problem.

The setup you describe using iTunes uses Airplay, which does not show this problem. Airplay only shows the volume problem I mentioned.

Thanks again.
post #830 of 830 Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Steveting99, would you try something for me on your nr1504? Stream some music via Airplay. Then, see if you can set the volume to exactly 63 or above 75 (using the numeric, not the dB scale). I've now tried this on 2 nr1504s and it fails on both. I'd also be grateful if owners of other, related models such as the nr1604 and nr1605, would try this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page