The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #901 of 923 Old 03-01-2015, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Front Wides is an option that is not offered on the lower models but rather begins with the SR600X and higher.
jdsmoothie,

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking of heights that the NR1604 can support and got mixed up with wides.

Previous post has been updated.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 923 Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Im using ceiling speakers by the reason to not have speakers on the floor,
would it help if all of the speaker's tweeters will be movable ?

Thanks for help
post #903 of 923 Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3310 Post(s)
Liked: 2075
Yes, ideally aimed at the main listening position.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience - We sell Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
post #904 of 923 Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Firmware update trouble

Today when I powered up my NR1604 a message appeared on the OSD that a new firmware was available and if I liked to update towards this new version?
As my device is hooked up to the internet I thought "why not?" and I confirmed to do so, assuming this would be worry-less process.
Now I know I better.... big mistake!
After my confirmation to update I left the device to let it do its thing. An hour later I checked on it assuming the update would be done by this time but a message 'CommunicationFail125' was present on the LCD. The update failed for some reason.
"No worries" I thought a simple power off power on will do it and I have my good old receiver back running with the pre-update firmware on it.
So I do a power off power on, but instead of starting up normally the device tries to update again remembering that the update went bad and it shows 'Update retry' on the LCD along with some '>' '>>' '>>>' progress flashes, to power off suddenly and back on by its own.
Wonderful, it's done, I thought! Unfortunately not and again it tries to update showing the same message 'Update retry'! It does this process for a few times to finally end in a non working state with 'CommunicationFail125' on the LCD.
A new power off on starts the whole process again and it seems that the device is jammed in a sort of update loop it can't escape from in a non working state : no OSD, no HMI output, no sound, no nothing.

So I figure it's the LAN communication but unfortunately I'm not able to communicate with the damn thing anymore as the OSD is not working, neither an approach by it's Web interface or even a ping is possible, although my router shows it has an DHCP IP attributed to it.

A reset : pressing the "M-DAX" button and the "ZONE2 SOURCE" button at the same time in standby mode and then powering on gave no solution neihter only a back to factory of settings, but still stuck in this update loop situation.
A manual Firmware update works neither as it not reacts on the "DISPLAY" "SOUND MODE" buton combination.

I believe the device never changed a thing to its actual firmware not able to retrieve the new one from internet but it is stuck trying to do it.

So what to do? Is there an other reset procedure or button combination to reanimate this device by myself?
I hope so because if this result in a loss of the device due to a standard procedure, this wil be my first and last Marantz device. I'll not even bother to bring it repair.

Thanks for any advice.
post #905 of 923 Old 03-05-2015, 03:28 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Network reset - Internet Radio + Zone 2 Source

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #906 of 923 Old 03-06-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
^^
Network reset - Internet Radio + Zone 2 Source
Thank you for your suggestion, the device did a memory saving but it still stays in this "update retry" loop.
My router shows the same DHCP IP attributed to it. No ping or web approach possible.
post #907 of 923 Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by E169613 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion, the device did a memory saving but it still stays in this "update retry" loop.
My router shows the same DHCP IP attributed to it. No ping or web approach possible.
If done correctly, pressing/holding these two buttons while powering on the AVR should reset the unit and end the "update retry" loop.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #908 of 923 Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
If done correctly, pressing/holding these two buttons while powering on the AVR should reset the unit and end the "update retry" loop.
You're right, it worked!
Apparently I took the wrong button combination this morning making a memory saving instead of a reset.
The device is out the "update retry" loop and working again.

Thanks a lot for the info and best regards!
post #909 of 923 Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Hdmi power control not working

As I anderstand the nr1604 has an option to go to standby when no signal what I am tring to do is make the receiver go to standby when I m turning off the tv
What am I doing wrong ???

Thanks
post #910 of 923 Old 03-13-2015, 11:13 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelliirraann View Post
As I anderstand the nr1604 has an option to go to standby when no signal what I am tring to do is make the receiver go to standby when I m turning off the tv
What am I doing wrong ???

Thanks
HDMI Control must be set ON on the AVR and HDMI-CEC (eg. Anynet+, VierraLink, BraviaSync, etc.) must be enabled on the TV.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #911 of 923 Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 AM

Liked: 10
Subwoofer constant buzzing

I have NR1604 for a while now, even though I like soo much, I have this constant buzzing sound when I connect its sub woofer output to my woofer, when I disconnect either trigger cable or subwoofer input cable to my woofer, it goes away. Any suggestions
post #912 of 923 Old 03-14-2015, 11:17 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Have you tried replacing the cables?

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #913 of 923 Old 03-15-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanbabut View Post
I have NR1604 for a while now, even though I like soo much, I have this constant buzzing sound when I connect its sub woofer output to my woofer, when I disconnect either trigger cable or subwoofer input cable to my woofer, it goes away. Any suggestions
Had a hum coming out of the Rythmik F12G sub and it was bugging me to no end. Even though it wasn't audible from the Main Listening Position (MLP) it was annoying nonetheless.

Tried replacing the sub cable - didn't work. Also put on an iron core inductor on the cable - no joy. Then tried another power socket outlet and common power outlet with all devices - still no joy.

One day while moving the cable TV box after seeing a recorded show (the sub as still ON), I accidentally removed the aerial signal cable that came from the wall to the cable TV box. Noticed the hum had stopped. When I plugged the aerial signal cable back in, the hum returned. This became repeatable so the problem was identified.

Went online and found this little device: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with good reviews and purchased it from Amazon.

After installing into the circuit of the aerial signal cable (in between the wall and the cable TV box) the hum is now gone and I can relax knowing the issue has been resolved.

Identifying hum/ground loop issues are not straight forward, but persistence does end up with a satisfying result in the end.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301, MiniDSP(2x4), Rythmik F12G

Last edited by steveting99; 03-15-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: typo
post #914 of 923 Old 03-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the receiver:

1. Does it appear as an airplay destination when it is in standby mode? Or can it be configured to do so?

2. If yes on previous question: Can I start “air playing” or “bluetoothing" to it when in standby and it will automatically wake up and switch to airplay source, without me having to do it manually?

3. Can you make it autostart and switch source when receiving signal from another source, like digital in or HDMI?

4. Can you show video (PS3) from 1 HDMI port and at the same time play audio(Not zone 2) from airplay/bluetooth/optical in?

5. Can you set up preset “scenes”, that you can switch to in the app, where specific video and audio sources are selected?

6. If you have paired the receiver with my laptop over bluetooth. Can I make it auto connect via bluetooth and wake up and play the computers audio as soon as I turn my laptop on without having to turn the receiver on separately?

7. Can you turn it on from standby in the app?

If you know the answer to any of these questions I'd be very grateful for an answer! Thanks!
post #915 of 923 Old 03-18-2015, 01:33 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Only 2014 models are Bluetooth capable. Networking answers are same as NR1605 except no Smart Select options.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #916 of 923 Old 03-18-2015, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
^^
Only 2014 models are Bluetooth capable. Networking answers are same as NR1605 except no Smart Select options.
Ok, but there is the Marantz RX101 bluetooth adapter. If you use that, can you make it wake up from standby just by making a paired bluetooth device appear in range for the bluetooth adapter?
post #917 of 923 Old 03-18-2015, 04:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, no. Rather you would have to use a DLNA remote app to wake up the AVR and then select the Bluetooth source.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #918 of 923 Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emattias View Post
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the receiver:

1. Does it appear as an airplay destination when it is in standby mode? Or can it be configured to do so?

2. If yes on previous question: Can I start “air playing” or “bluetoothing" to it when in standby and it will automatically wake up and switch to airplay source, without me having to do it manually?

3. Can you make it autostart and switch source when receiving signal from another source, like digital in or HDMI?

4. Can you show video (PS3) from 1 HDMI port and at the same time play audio(Not zone 2) from airplay/bluetooth/optical in?

5. Can you set up preset “scenes”, that you can switch to in the app, where specific video and audio sources are selected?

6. If you have paired the receiver with my laptop over bluetooth. Can I make it auto connect via bluetooth and wake up and play the computers audio as soon as I turn my laptop on without having to turn the receiver on separately?

7. Can you turn it on from standby in the app?

If you know the answer to any of these questions I'd be very grateful for an answer! Thanks!
emattias,

You had asked the same set of questions in the NR-1605 thread and jdsmoothie has answered your questions.

post #919 of 923 Old 03-20-2015, 09:24 PM

Hi everyone, I made the mistake of picking my NR1604 remote up with some other things, and hitting some unknown buttons, as well as mute. When I took the receiver off mute, I had to turn the volume to 60 to get the same sound volume as 30 normally is. At 30, it's now whisper quiet. This just affects my cable box hdmi input (dolby digital 5.1). The other inputs are all normal volume.

I tried going into setup, but haven't been able to find any relevant setting. The source level is at 0 dB, and even if I turn it up to 12, the volume is still much lower than normal. The audio input shows an offset of -7dB, like it always has.

I can't find anything wrong with the speaker setup, and again, the problem only seems to affect one input.

Any ideas or tips?
post #920 of 923 Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike300zxt View Post
Hi everyone, I made the mistake of picking my NR1604 remote up with some other things, and hitting some unknown buttons, as well as mute. When I took the receiver off mute, I had to turn the volume to 60 to get the same sound volume as 30 normally is. At 30, it's now whisper quiet. This just affects my cable box hdmi input (dolby digital 5.1). The other inputs are all normal volume.

I tried going into setup, but haven't been able to find any relevant setting. The source level is at 0 dB, and even if I turn it up to 12, the volume is still much lower than normal. The audio input shows an offset of -7dB, like it always has.

I can't find anything wrong with the speaker setup, and again, the problem only seems to affect one input.

Any ideas or tips?
Check to see if the Surround mode changed. You were also likely using Dynamic Volume for there to be an audible audio at 30, so enable Dynamic Volume for that source.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
post #921 of 923 Old 03-21-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Check to see if the Surround mode changed. You were also likely using Dynamic Volume for there to be an audible audio at 30, so enable Dynamic Volume for that source.
Thanks JD. I couldn't find a Dynamic Volume setting, but I hit "Movie" sound mode on the remote, and the volume came back. After that, "Audyssey" became enabled in the Audio menu, and I could see Dynamic Volume there. It looks like I must have hit the "Pure" sound mode button, which disabled Audyssey and Dynamic Volume. All fixed, thanks!
post #922 of 923 Unread Today, 10:50 PM

Frustrated with my NR-1604

I am also having issues with AirPlay on my NR-1604 recently, though perhaps slightly different than the previous users.

Usually AirPlay works alright from iPhones/iPads/Macbook Pros. No issues with skipping audio. Occasionally there is some difficulty connecting to it initially from an Apple device (e.g. takes multiple attempts at switching to AirPlay on the device before it actually works). However, once AirPlay is started some weird behavior begins.

When it comes time to switch inputs away from AirPlay (to watch cable TV for example), the receiver will switch for a moment (no more than 3 seconds), then switch back to AirPlay and take the volume down to 0.5. It doesn't matter if you stop the music streaming to AirPlay first. It doesn't matter if you choose different speakers on the device you were AirPlaying from first. The same thing happens, every time.

The only way I have found to make it work again is to unplug the 1604 from the wall, plug it back in, and then change input and bring volume back up. Simply powering off with the remote or power button does not help.

Even stranger, the same behavior occurs when powering off the receiver normally - no matter which input it was on. About 2 seconds after powering it off (via remote or power button) it will turn back on and switch to the AirPlay input, with the volume at 0.5.

So then the next time someone wants to watch TV, they have to go unplug the receiver first. It is really terrible.

* I have the latest Marantz Firmware.
* I have done a reset on the Marantz by holding the (I think Zone 2, MDAX, and Power) buttons
* The Marantz is plugging into my wireless router via an ethernet cord
* I have the latest ASUS RT-N66U wireless router firmware
* I have done a factory reset of the wireless router
* The iOS devices are using iOS 8.2 (latest to date)

We use the receiver + TV every day, and AirPlay almost every day.

I have had this receiver for about 10 months (Purchased April '14) and it has been pretty good. However this is just unacceptable and I need to find a fix or get a new receiver. My family hates the thing at the moment. Does anyone know if this is something Marantz would replace or accept a return for under warranty? If not, what other receivers should I look at replacing it with?
post #923 of 923 Unread Today, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Peterson View Post
I am also having issues with AirPlay on my NR-1604 recently, though perhaps slightly different than the previous users.

I have had this receiver for about 10 months (Purchased April '14) and it has been pretty good. However this is just unacceptable and I need to find a fix or get a new receiver. My family hates the thing at the moment. Does anyone know if this is something Marantz would replace or accept a return for under warranty? If not, what other receivers should I look at replacing it with?
Hi Max,

Welcome to AVS!

Recently Apple has provided an up-date of their iOS platform to 8.2 and I've recently experienced streaming issues with the iPad mini. Most likely Denon/Marantz will have to play 'catch-up' on the changes (not sure of what) that Apple did.

One work around that's been proven to be effective is using the AppleTV as the "speaker" for Airplay. Have just tested this out. The HDMI connection from the aTV to the Marantz will work as expected for music streaming or mirroring your iDevice.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page