The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 32 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Peterson View Post
I am also having issues with AirPlay on my NR-1604 recently, though perhaps slightly different than the previous users.

Usually AirPlay works alright from iPhones/iPads/Macbook Pros. No issues with skipping audio. Occasionally there is some difficulty connecting to it initially from an Apple device (e.g. takes multiple attempts at switching to AirPlay on the device before it actually works). However, once AirPlay is started some weird behavior begins.

When it comes time to switch inputs away from AirPlay (to watch cable TV for example), the receiver will switch for a moment (no more than 3 seconds), then switch back to AirPlay and take the volume down to 0.5. It doesn't matter if you stop the music streaming to AirPlay first. It doesn't matter if you choose different speakers on the device you were AirPlaying from first. The same thing happens, every time.

The only way I have found to make it work again is to unplug the 1604 from the wall, plug it back in, and then change input and bring volume back up. Simply powering off with the remote or power button does not help.

Even stranger, the same behavior occurs when powering off the receiver normally - no matter which input it was on. About 2 seconds after powering it off (via remote or power button) it will turn back on and switch to the AirPlay input, with the volume at 0.5.

So then the next time someone wants to watch TV, they have to go unplug the receiver first. It is really terrible.

* I have the latest Marantz Firmware.
* I have done a reset on the Marantz by holding the (I think Zone 2, MDAX, and Power) buttons
* The Marantz is plugging into my wireless router via an ethernet cord
* I have the latest ASUS RT-N66U wireless router firmware
* I have done a factory reset of the wireless router
* The iOS devices are using iOS 8.2 (latest to date)

We use the receiver + TV every day, and AirPlay almost every day.

I have had this receiver for about 10 months (Purchased April '14) and it has been pretty good. However this is just unacceptable and I need to find a fix or get a new receiver. My family hates the thing at the moment. Does anyone know if this is something Marantz would replace or accept a return for under warranty? If not, what other receivers should I look at replacing it with?
I have same AVR, i didnt have problems with AirPlay on my mobile devices (iPhone 4S iOS 7.1.4, iPhone 6 Plus iOS 8.2 and iPad Mini 1G iOS 7.1.2), but i have problems with my MacMini with OS X 10.10.2, some times i have lost control with Marantz Remote App and Apple Remote Control (iOS app). Current playing music and timing, volume - are shown, but you change song, or change volume - device lost connection with library, and iTunes app on MacOS have crashed, i dont know what a reason of this bag, but it very annoying. Sorry for my bad English.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Peterson View Post
I am also having issues with AirPlay on my NR-1604 recently, though perhaps slightly different than the previous users.

Usually AirPlay works alright from iPhones/iPads/Macbook Pros. No issues with skipping audio. Occasionally there is some difficulty connecting to it initially from an Apple device (e.g. takes multiple attempts at switching to AirPlay on the device before it actually works). However, once AirPlay is started some weird behavior begins.

When it comes time to switch inputs away from AirPlay (to watch cable TV for example), the receiver will switch for a moment (no more than 3 seconds), then switch back to AirPlay and take the volume down to 0.5. It doesn't matter if you stop the music streaming to AirPlay first. It doesn't matter if you choose different speakers on the device you were AirPlaying from first. The same thing happens, every time.

The only way I have found to make it work again is to unplug the 1604 from the wall, plug it back in, and then change input and bring volume back up. Simply powering off with the remote or power button does not help.

Even stranger, the same behavior occurs when powering off the receiver normally - no matter which input it was on. About 2 seconds after powering it off (via remote or power button) it will turn back on and switch to the AirPlay input, with the volume at 0.5.

So then the next time someone wants to watch TV, they have to go unplug the receiver first. It is really terrible.

* I have the latest Marantz Firmware.
* I have done a reset on the Marantz by holding the (I think Zone 2, MDAX, and Power) buttons
* The Marantz is plugging into my wireless router via an ethernet cord
* I have the latest ASUS RT-N66U wireless router firmware
* I have done a factory reset of the wireless router
* The iOS devices are using iOS 8.2 (latest to date)

We use the receiver + TV every day, and AirPlay almost every day.

I have had this receiver for about 10 months (Purchased April '14) and it has been pretty good. However this is just unacceptable and I need to find a fix or get a new receiver. My family hates the thing at the moment. Does anyone know if this is something Marantz would replace or accept a return for under warranty? If not, what other receivers should I look at replacing it with?
I contacted Marantz support via Live Chat today. They were extremely unhelpful. Any other suggestions on how to resolve this issue? I'll have to look for a replacement, I doubt I'll look at Marantz again given the support I got.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 4228 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Network Reset

Try doing a Network reset by pressing/holding the INTERNET RADIO/ZONE 2 SOURCE buttons while powering on the AVR (ie. similar to microprocessor reset procedure).

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 5 times. 
Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is $275 a good price for a gently used, practically brand new NR1504?

Its pretty much in like new condition.

I think you can get them for like $375 still new in box if not mistaken, and not sure what the warranty would be if I bought the used one?

JD my friend from work is interested in this one, why I'm posting here. I still am going to go with your recommendation on the Denon.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:43 PM

I don't think I'm up for modifying a power plug, even if it is a "simple" soldering job. Bones: I'm <IT Tech> not an engineer!

As for connecting it to electricity, I have it plugged into a UPS with AVR. Ya think that would be enough to do the trick. I wonder now if this is something the marantz repair people will be able to get this to do the trick. There is a LOT on this circuit as it is but it's not like it pulls the same power (I hope) as my old SR7000 and my old CRT television isn't there anymore but a more modern Samsung LED TV (6300 series). In any case, I have my computer, Blu-ray and directv equipment hooked up to this same circuit. The only way I'll be able to put this on a different circuit is to have an electrician come in and put a new one in. That's a good idea but not feasible.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:49 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
Is $275 a good price for a gently used, practically brand new NR1504?

Its pretty much in like new condition.

I think you can get them for like $375 still new in box if not mistaken, and not sure what the warranty would be if I bought the used one?

JD my friend from work is interested in this one, why I'm posting here. I still am going to go with your recommendation on the Denon.
Yup ... good price to be sure, although at the very least owner would have to give him the original receipt showing it was purchased from an authorized dealer and the date of sale for any chance of access to the remainder of the 3 year warranty.

------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; http://shop.avscience.com/ Call for sales info --> 585-645-1006 

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
AVScience sells Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Oppo, and more
Old 04-27-2015, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Yup ... good price to be sure, although at the very least owner would have to give him the original receipt showing it was purchased from an authorized dealer and the date of sale for any chance of access to the remainder of the 3 year warranty.
Thanks JD, I think she said she had a receipt from Best Buy, but not sure. My friend kind of backed off since I posted this and we talked last.
I almost considered it for my 2nd AVR for downstairs, but I don't know how I feel about a mixed house hold of AVRs, 2 Denons vs. 1 Marantz and 1 Denon.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
... but I don't know how I feel about a mixed house hold of AVRs, 2 Denons vs. 1 Marantz and 1 Denon.
Denon and Marantz receivers come from the same holding company.

In terms of control, if you use DeRemote app (for iDevices) it can control both Denon and Marantz receivers. Using a universal remote for each setup would allow you to control either without a problem.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).

Last edited by steveting99; 05-13-2015 at 07:01 PM. Reason: additional text for clarity.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:59 PM

Flasher in

Hi guys,

My first post here and straight in with a technical question.....

I've now hidden my 1604 in a cab and want an IR sender but see there is a "flasher in" 3.5mm jack plug socket on the rear of the receiver.
can I assume that if I buy a simple receiver and plug it in it'll work?

If this is the case should the receiver have a mono or stereo jack plug? I see both and don't know what to get and there doesn't seem to be anything in the user guide or online.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpi View Post
Hi guys,

I've now hidden my 1604 in a cab and want an IR sender but see there is a "flasher in" 3.5mm jack plug socket on the rear of the receiver.

If this is the case should the receiver have a mono or stereo jack plug? I see both and don't know what to get and there doesn't seem to be anything in the user guide or online.

Thanks
Hi Stumpi,

Welcome to AVS!

Is just the NR-1604 located in a separate cabinet or are there other devices in the cabinet that you want to control also? If you have other devices that you would like to control with the NR-1604, the Harmony Smart Control may be an option for you. The hub is the IR blaster that sees all your devices (including the NR-1604) and is wireless connected to a separate remote or you can control it via your phone by an app.

Maranatz SR-7009, Oppo BPD-93, MTV 7000D, LG LW6500, aTV, WDTV Live, Harmony 650 remote, KEF E301+T101, MiniDSP(2x4), Emotiva 2xXPA-5 (Gen2), Rythmik 2xF12G+2xF8 (on order), HiMedia Q16 (on order).
Old 05-14-2015, 04:46 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpi View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks
Unfortunately no, although technically, yes, it should work. Use a "mono" cable and review the following ....

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my nr1604 and I was hoping the people on this forum might help me out.

I am trying to connect a ion audio classic wood turntable (with iintegrated pre amp) to my nr 1604 using rca-cables.
I connected the cables with the cd-input and chose the cd channel.
Unfortunately the sound still comes only through the turntable...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am completely clueless to be honest...

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If the turntable does not have its own pre-amp, you'll need to purchase a PHONO pre-amp separately (~$50-$100).

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechen View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my nr1604 and I was hoping the people on this forum might help me out.

I am trying to connect a ion audio classic wood turntable (with iintegrated pre amp) to my nr 1604 using rca-cables.
I connected the cables with the cd-input and chose the cd channel.
Unfortunately the sound still comes only through the turntable...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am completely clueless to be honest...

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards
Hi Maechen,

Welcome to AVS!

As jdsmoothie advised, you'll need a phono pre-amp to connect the turntable to the Marantz NR-1604. The Emotiva XPS-1 is a good quality unit at a fair price. Supports both MM (with selectable termination impedances) and MC cartridges. Reasonable compliance to RIAA curve. Low THD.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:41 PM

thanks guys,

I'll have go at both options.
Although, my new Martin Logans have just arrived so think I may be busy this evening! :-)
Old 06-01-2015, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post
As jdsmoothie advised, you'll need a phono pre-amp to connect the turntable to the Marantz NR-1604. The Emotiva XPS-1 is a good quality unit at a fair price. Supports both MM (with selectable termination impedances) and MC cartridges. Reasonable compliance to RIAA curve. Low THD.
Does that mean that anything connected through RCA ports as CD source requires a pre-amp? I am trying to output sound from my computer to my Marantz NR-1604 and I'm also not getting any sound through. Sorry for a noob question. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 05:44 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by themovielover View Post
Does that mean that anything connected through RCA ports as CD source requires a pre-amp? I am trying to output sound from my computer to my Marantz NR-1604 and I'm also not getting any sound through. Sorry for a noob question. Thanks!
No, only a turntable without a built-in pre-amp would require an external pre-amp. Try raising the volume on the computer and ensure it is correctly set to output audio to an external source rather than to the computer's speakers.

------------------

Daily - 8am to 8pm EST
Old Today, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Airplay - MDM forced pairing password

Dear owners,

Recently the company I work for has adopted a BYOD policy for e-mail access.
In the MDM profile a restriction was added that affects Airplay connectivity (find below).
This means that I can no longer connect my iphone 6 (ios 8.3) with the NR1604.
I suppose the reason is that the NR1604 software/firmware does not allow for any such interaction. I have checked whether anything appears on the TV that is connected, but this is not the case.

Any help/ideas to find a solution or workaround? I have contacted Marantz, but I don't expect much.

forceAirPlayOutgoingRequestsPairingPassword: If set to true, forces all devices receiving AirPlay requests from this device to use a pairing password.

Thanks.

Tags
Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver