The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #991 of 1012 Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTV Programmer View Post
No, and it really pisses me off. I'm coming from a Vizio 4K TV and it worked perfectly and seamlessly with ARC. I'm going to call Samsung technical support today and demand an answer. If I discover anything by tinkering around with settings or from Samsung I'll report back.
Well some success. I followed the advice by steveting99
as below and it worked. Well ARC worked. Have set it up so my TV turns my Amp on and off which works for me as the TV is the only sound source as all devices connect into the mini one hub for the TV.

However................audio is digital but only stereo, whatever source is viewed including 5.1 programs on Netflix. I believed that this model range supported 5.1 pass through, otherwise it kind of defeats the mini one hub and I would need to go back to connecting all sources into the amp.........aahhrrgghh.

Quote from the solution that fixed ARC for me.

The only complaint I have is ARC implementation, which is a little wonky. Scroll up to post 783, and start reading down from there. Note that one participant said (The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread) that this year's model fixed that. So consider getting the 1605 instead of 1504.
Hi Phrynichus,

Try the following steps if you want to implement HDMI Control on in the AVR menu and for ARC on the TV. You need to do things in the following order.

1) Turn on AVR then TV;
2) Turn on HDMI Control in AVR;
3) Turn on Samsung ARC/CEC function in TV;
4) Turn off TV and AVR; and
5) Turn on AVR first then TV.

Report back what you find, but you may have to choose audio system as sound output in TV menu. ARC is temperamental and needs everything turned on in the correct order.

If ARC/CEC goes wonky, just turn everything off. Unplug the Marantz from the power outlet for about 10 minutes+ and then power everything back up in order. Might have to implement the above steps again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1012 Old 03-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinyork View Post
Well some success. I followed the advice by steveting99
as below and it worked. Well ARC worked. Have set it up so my TV turns my Amp on and off which works for me as the TV is the only sound source as all devices connect into the mini one hub for the TV.

However................audio is digital but only stereo, whatever source is viewed including 5.1 programs on Netflix. I believed that this model range supported 5.1 pass through, otherwise it kind of defeats the mini one hub and I would need to go back to connecting all sources into the amp.........aahhrrgghh.
Okay, an update. I called Samsung support and was ultimately transferred to a woman than did Remote Management of my set. She tried re-setting everything and ARC would still not work. Then she re-flashed the firmware and went through a new setup. Miraculously ARC kind of works now but when I exit Netflix or whatever my AVR receiver is not returned to the previous input, i.e. my cable set top box. I may fiddle with the AVR settings to see if I can remedy that.

Also, given the overall issue Samsung is sending me a replacement One Connect Mini.

I recommend you call Samsung and relate my experience to see if they can help you. Good luck and let me know.
post #993 of 1012 Old 03-16-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Okay, an update. I called Samsung support and was ultimately transferred to a woman than did Remote Management of my set. She tried re-setting everything and ARC would still not work. Then she re-flashed the firmware and went through a new setup. Miraculously ARC kind of works now but when I exit Netflix or whatever my AVR receiver is not returned to the previous input, i.e. my cable set top box. I may fiddle with the AVR settings to see if I can remedy that.

Also, given the overall issue Samsung is sending me a replacement One Connect Mini.

I recommend you call Samsung and relate my experience to see if they can help you. Good luck and let me know.
Glad you got the ARC working, of sorts. Are you getting 5.1 to your Amp from Netflix?
post #994 of 1012 Old 03-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Glad you got the ARC working, of sorts. Are you getting 5.1 to your Amp from Netflix?
I wrote my update too soon. ARC is back to not working again. When I tried to fix the Apple TV issue ARC stopped working altogether and then I had an issue with the receiver switching back to TV Audio whenever I chose another input like Blu Ray or cable TV. I ultimately had to unplug the Apple TV HDMI cable from the receiver and now not sure what direction to go. I'm so tempted to run all inputs directly to the One Connect Mini and run and optical cable from the Mini to the 1604. Then I could use the TV to do all the switching and not worry about getting audio from Netflix, Amazon Video etc...

What audio capabilities do I lose in that scenario?
post #995 of 1012 Old 03-17-2016, 04:55 AM

Quote:
I wrote my update too soon. ARC is back to not working again. When I tried to fix the Apple TV issue ARC stopped working altogether and then I had an issue with the receiver switching back to TV Audio whenever I chose another input like Blu Ray or cable TV. I ultimately had to unplug the Apple TV HDMI cable from the receiver and now not sure what direction to go. I'm so tempted to run all inputs directly to the One Connect Mini and run and optical cable from the Mini to the 1604. Then I could use the TV to do all the switching and not worry about getting audio from Netflix, Amazon Video etc...

What audio capabilities do I lose in that scenario?

Well after getting ARC to work I've now managed to get my amp to receive Dolby 5.1 from the TV via the HDMI. I had to set the audio output type in the Samsung menu to Dolby instead of PCM and go to the input select menu on the Amp and change the audio type for the ARC input to Auto. I then selected the Pure Auto option on the Marantz remote and now the amp switches between 5.1 and stereo dependant on the audio being output on the relevant source being viewed. Seems PCM won't work but Dolby will. I think I'm finally there.

If you connect all your sources into the mini and run an optical cable as ARC is playing up for you then you should only lose the ability to transmit PCM audio from the TV to the amp but will gain being able to easily switch sources within the tv using the main or smart remote and will get 5.1 he ever the source signal has it.
post #996 of 1012 Old 03-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well after getting ARC to work I've now managed to get my amp to receive Dolby 5.1 from the TV via the HDMI. I had to set the audio output type in the Samsung menu to Dolby instead of PCM and go to the input select menu on the Amp and change the audio type for the ARC input to Auto. I then selected the Pure Auto option on the Marantz remote and now the amp switches between 5.1 and stereo dependant on the audio being output on the relevant source being viewed. Seems PCM won't work but Dolby will. I think I'm finally there.

If you connect all your sources into the mini and run an optical cable as ARC is playing up for you then you should only lose the ability to transmit PCM audio from the TV to the amp but will gain being able to easily switch sources within the tv using the main or smart remote and will get 5.1 he ever the source signal has it.
After connecting my sources directly to the One Connect Mini (still waiting for the replacement) I had nothing but issues with respect to audio format. The Samsung, regardless of what I did in Advanced Sound Settings, would never deliver the right audio format - it kept defaulting to stereo even if the source signal was Dolby Digital from my cable box or DTS from my Oppo. Trying to get the audio settings to work correctly in addition to the ARC nonsense I simply gave up.

I am now back to using the 1604 for all of my sources and have turned off HDMI Control and turned off Anynet+CEC on the TV. So when I watch the apps on the TV I just simply switch the 1604 to the optical input. Frankly, life is much simpler now. I love the Samsung TV but the Anynet+CEC and audio settings are just not ready for prime time.
post #997 of 1012 Old 04-14-2016, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Thumbs down HDMI control of power and sound is mostly a joke

Quote:
After connecting my sources directly to the One Connect Mini (still waiting for the replacement) I had nothing but issues with respect to audio format. The Samsung, regardless of what I did in Advanced Sound Settings, would never deliver the right audio format - it kept defaulting to stereo even if the source signal was Dolby Digital from my cable box or DTS from my Oppo. Trying to get the audio settings to work correctly in addition to the ARC nonsense I simply gave up.

I am now back to using the 1604 for all of my sources and have turned off HDMI Control and turned off Anynet+CEC on the TV. So when I watch the apps on the TV I just simply switch the 1604 to the optical input. Frankly, life is much simpler now. I love the Samsung TV but the Anynet+CEC and audio settings are just not ready for prime time.
I also had issues setting this up to work correctly about three months ago with a Samsung UN65HU8550 TV and the Marantz SR6900 that a friend has. Ultimately, we gave up and I had him buy a Roku player to stream his stuff. It's now another source on the SR6900, and works exactly as he likes.

CEC and ARC are a complete crapshoot, and the industry should be ashamed and embarrassed that after all this time it is still remarkably difficult to set up, has half a dozen different names, the hardware often requires a 'turn-on sequence procedure', and that even if one finally manages to set it up so it works, it may not the next time you use it, failing at power control or the type of sound it feels like sending that day. We should be way beyond these issues by now.

I have a Toshiba LCD and a 1604, and when I set mine up, turning the Toshiba off would shut off the 1604, but turning it back on would not turn it on again. On what planet is that even vaguely useful? I finally used a solution I've been using for years - a smart power strip where one outlet controls the others. I plug the TV into the control outlet, and plug the 1604 and my subwoofer into the others. Turning the TV on and off turns the 1604 and sub on and off. Simple, clean, inelegant but no nonsense. I don't stream with the TV because of the endless audio issues, and use a Roku instead as another source on the 1604.

Until there's some standardization and the hardware design geeks at these companies actually talk to each other and some real usable standards are established by them or the HDMI monopoly, it's a time sink and a joke. Endless posts all over AVS about how badly this works.
Phrynichus likes this.
post #998 of 1012 Old 05-26-2016, 01:14 AM

Liked: 10
Can I use the pre-outs on the NR1604 to connect to an external amp (specifically ADCOM 5400) to push my Acoustic Research AR-3a's (very power hungry 4ohm vintage speaker) to push them as my Front L and R speakers and then use the amp section on the NR1604 to push the center channel rear channels (and of course use the sub pre-out to a self powered sub) And have them all going in 5.1

And then use Audyssey room calibration to get them all in sync? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
post #999 of 1012 Old 05-26-2016, 01:29 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9890 Post(s)
Liked: 4593
Quote:
Originally Posted by taynos View Post
Can I use the pre-outs on the NR1604 to connect to an external amp (specifically ADCOM 5400) to push my Acoustic Research AR-3a's (very power hungry 4ohm vintage speaker) to push them as my Front L and R speakers and then use the amp section on the NR1604 to push the center channel rear channels (and of course use the sub pre-out to a self powered sub) And have them all going in 5.1

And then use Audyssey room calibration to get them all in sync? Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.
Yes to all.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #1000 of 1012 Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 PM

Thanks JD, that's music to my ears !!
post #1001 of 1012 Old 06-06-2016, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hello everyone. Any idea why I cant get my audio inputs working on this NR1604 amp I am trying to connect my dj mixer to the cd audio input and I am getting no sound whatsoever???? please help I'm really struggling with this amp

is this possible?
post #1002 of 1012 Old 06-06-2016, 08:06 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevo08 View Post
Hello everyone. Any idea why I cant get my audio inputs working on this NR1604 amp I am trying to connect my dj mixer to the cd audio input and I am getting no sound whatsoever???? please help I'm really struggling with this amp

is this possible?
Are other sources able to connect without issue? If yes, perhaps a setting on the dj mixer is not correctly set.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #1003 of 1012 Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 AM

could I plug in a phono to aux cable and play my phone through it?
post #1004 of 1012 Old 06-06-2016, 08:50 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
could I plug in a phono to aux cable and play my phone through it?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/41802907?w...672969&veh=sem

------------

post #1005 of 1012 Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM

i got one of those cables and plugged it in, when i looked on the amp i turned it to cd and about 3 seconds after it said hdmi then went back to show cd.

still get no sound out my phone????
post #1006 of 1012 Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
i got one of those cables and plugged it in, when i looked on the amp i turned it to cd and about 3 seconds after it said hdmi then went back to show cd.

still get no sound out my phone????
Is it an iOS or Android phone? What type audio file are you trying to pass to the AVR?

------------

post #1007 of 1012 Old 06-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello!

After a storm and a lightning nearby home, my NR1604 is not showing any images/sound.
Symptoms:
_ Turns on/off as usual;
_ Respond to remote control;
_ Ipod connected to USB plays normally;
_ Internet radio works fine;
_ No audio/video using back hdmi;
_ No video output at all;

Cable set top box was connected thru hdmi and stopped working at the same time.

Tried to factory reset but shows the same behavior.

Questions:
_ Is the hdmi board separated from the other components?
_ Any clue about where can I find the service manual?
_ If it's just this component that was damaged (optimistic view of the issue), where can I buy it?

Unfortunately there's no Marantz authorized centers in Brazil.

Thank you for your attention!
post #1008 of 1012 Old 06-16-2016, 11:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnazareth View Post
Hello!

After a storm and a lightning nearby home, my NR1604 is not showing any images/sound.
Symptoms:
_ Turns on/off as usual;

Questions:
_ If it's just this component that was damaged (optimistic view of the issue), where can I buy it?

Just get the money from your insurance company and purchase another unit.

------------

post #1009 of 1012 Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Just get the money from your insurance company and purchase another unit.
Sorry, but that's not an option.
post #1010 of 1012 Old 06-22-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnazareth View Post
Hello!

Symptoms:
_ Turns on/off as usual;

Questions:

Is the audio/video from other sources, i.e. AppleTV, PS4, Bluray Player working?

Link to NR1604 Manual

You may want to think about adding A/V Surge Protection. I have an APC H15 12-Outlet H-Type A/V Power Conditioner/Surge Protector.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Marantz NR-1504
GoldenEar SuperSat 50s
SVS PC-2000
AppleTV 3
Sony PS4
post #1011 of 1012 Old Today, 03:57 AM

What is the correct way to balance the difference in output when switching from multi channel stereo to dolby digital as mine seems to be about 10dB apart and is annoying to change all rhe time ?
post #1012 of 1012 Old Today, 07:16 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlronny View Post
What is the correct way to balance the difference in output when switching from multi channel stereo to dolby digital as mine seems to be about 10dB apart and is annoying to change all rhe time ?
Setup --> Inputs ---> Source Level

------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread