The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1051 of 1069 Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi there, and have a great new year!

It seems that my NR1604 is very picky when it comes to HDMI input signals. I'm unable to get a picture from my PS3 or Chromecast (of which I have two, v1 and v2) through any inputs, but other sources like Xtreamer and AppleTV work fine with same cables and inputs. I've spent most of the weekend fiddling with cables and tried different combinations.

- All cables and inputs work fine with the Xtreamer but when I connect the PS3 - no signal.
- The screen only stays black. Marantz logo and source information disappear when the connected device is turned on.
- Sometimes there is a distorted screen with colourful bars from the PS3 which would indicate a sync issue (!?)
- All devices are sending out 1080p.
- All devices work perfectly when connected directly to TV.
- I also tried routing the cables through a 2x4 HDMI matrix switch - no change.

Anyone else experiencing similar behaviour or have an idea where to start fixing? Any ideas whatsoever? Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1069 Old 01-01-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14587 Post(s)
Liked: 6922
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrisk View Post
Hi there, and have a great new year!

It seems that my NR1604 is very picky when it comes to HDMI input signals. I'm unable to get a picture from my PS3 or Chromecast (of which I have two, v1 and v2) through any inputs, but other sources like Xtreamer and AppleTV work fine with same cables and inputs. I've spent most of the weekend fiddling with cables and tried different combinations.

- All cables and inputs work fine with the Xtreamer but when I connect the PS3 - no signal.
- The screen only stays black. Marantz logo and source information disappear when the connected device is turned on.
- Sometimes there is a distorted screen with colourful bars from the PS3 which would indicate a sync issue (!?)
- All devices are sending out 1080p.
- All devices work perfectly when connected directly to TV.
- I also tried routing the cables through a 2x4 HDMI matrix switch - no change.

Anyone else experiencing similar behaviour or have an idea where to start fixing? Any ideas whatsoever? Thanks...
The PS3 issue can likely be resolved by setting the Deep Color Output = OFF. Look for a similar setting on the Chromecast which can also be disabled.
post #1053 of 1069 Old 01-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The PS3 issue can likely be resolved by setting the Deep Color Output = OFF. Look for a similar setting on the Chromecast which can also be disabled.
Thanks for the tip, however this did not help. I turned off all enhanced display features on the PS3, then dropped resolution to 720p and finally all the way down to 576, no picture

Then, urged by your signature, I decided it was time to reset the microprocessor. To my own great surprise that seems to have done the trick! Everything works now... Even though I need to set up everything from scratch, it might just be the lesser evil at this point. Anyway, mission accomplished! This will be a great year!

post #1054 of 1069 Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Started having a peculiar problem with (I think) my 1604. It's being fed HDMI from a TiVo Mini which is set up to use Dolby Digital.

About a week or two ago, the 1604 started decoding some channels and some recorded shows as (what I assume is) DD 2.0 (really DD 3.0 because the center channel is also active). The little DD symbol on the front panel lights up, and the front panel says "Stereo", even though I know for certain the channels and shows both have full DD 5.1. The 1604 is, in fact, only sending stereo to the speakers - the surrounds are silent, and the Info display from the 1604 shows them as not being active.

I reset the 1604 CPU as recommended here (turn off and unplug for 10 minutes), but that changed nothing.

I don't know for certain if the issue is the 1604 or the TiVo Mini. The Mini streams from a TiVo Roamio Pro which is feeding a Yamaha AVR, and everything is normal at that end.

I posted on tivocommunity.com, and either no one saw the post or no one else is having the issue, because I got a single generic response there.

Anyone have ideas as to what the heck is going on?
post #1055 of 1069 Old 02-18-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Started having a peculiar problem with (I think) my 1604. It's being fed HDMI from a TiVo Mini which is set up to use Dolby Digital.

About a week or two ago, the 1604 started decoding some channels and some recorded shows as (what I assume is) DD 2.0 (really DD 3.0 because the center channel is also active). The little DD symbol on the front panel lights up, and the front panel says "Stereo", even though I know for certain the channels and shows both have full DD 5.1. The 1604 is, in fact, only sending stereo to the speakers - the surrounds are silent, and the Info display from the 1604 shows them as not being active.

I reset the 1604 CPU as recommended here (turn off and unplug for 10 minutes), but that changed nothing.

I don't know for certain if the issue is the 1604 or the TiVo Mini. The Mini streams from a TiVo Roamio Pro which is feeding a Yamaha AVR, and everything is normal at that end.

I posted on tivocommunity.com, and either no one saw the post or no one else is having the issue, because I got a single generic response there.

Anyone have ideas as to what the heck is going on?
Yup. It's not uncommon for a TV station to broadcast a 2.0 signal over a 5.1 audio track, resulting in audio only from the FL/FR speakers and no way to use the DD PLII simulator.
post #1056 of 1069 Old 02-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yup. It's not uncommon for a TV station to broadcast a 2.0 signal over a 5.1 audio track, resulting in audio only from the FL/FR speakers and no way to use the DD PLII simulator.
I don't think you fully read what I wrote. The same station (or same recorded show) on another TiVo in the house feeding a different AVR shows and plays DD 5.1
post #1057 of 1069 Old 02-18-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I don't think you fully read what I wrote. The same station (or same recorded show) on another TiVo in the house feeding a different AVR shows and plays DD 5.1
Yup. Simply pointing out what is possible. The AVR can only play what it is receiving, and it apparently is only receiving a 2.0 signal. Try connecting the other TiVo to the 1604 to confirm.
post #1058 of 1069 Old 03-26-2017, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I upgraded to a NR1604 from NR1602 and noticed that the center channel is not working. I want to check the setup to see if there is anything I can change to enable center channel. BUt I cant find that option or setup button is missing on the receiver. I do not have the remote as I purchased it used and seller did not include remote.
How do I access setup to reassign inputs etc?
post #1059 of 1069 Old 03-27-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post
I upgraded to a NR1604 from NR1602 and noticed that the center channel is not working. I want to check the setup to see if there is anything I can change to enable center channel. BUt I cant find that option or setup button is missing on the receiver. I do not have the remote as I purchased it used and seller did not include remote.
How do I access setup to reassign inputs etc?
Either purchase a replacement OEM remote from Marantz or a Harmony remote or if the unit is connected to the internet, you can use the Web Control feature with a laptop/tablet.
post #1060 of 1069 Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I have a new LG OLED TV that has apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu that I want to use to watch series available in 4K HDR (c'mon Apple!). To get audio from the apps I have the TV connected to my Marantz 1604 receiver via HDMI (ARC) so whenever I open an app like Netflix the audio switches on my receiver to TV Audio. It works great. However, upon exiting the app my receiver immediately goes to the input for Apple TV and not back to my cable TV input. I've tried turning OFF Home Theater Control in Apple TV settings, resetting the HDMI settings on the 1604, but that does not solve the issue. I know this is complicated, but is this a problem with my Apple TV or with my Marantz receiver?
post #1061 of 1069 Old 04-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

It's the Marantz and/or the LG.

HDMI control is a crapshoot, as you've discovered. It's a sloppy public domain protocol which manufacturers are free to modify, extend, or otherwise butcher. Which is why, in a majority of cases, it doesn't work properly. There are endless complaints about it on this forum. Endless.

When it does weird things, as in your case (and mine with an LG OLED and a Yamaha AVR), all you can do is turn it off and get a programmable remote to deal with setting components the way you want them to work. Your chances of fixing the problem using HDMI control are very close to zero.

Last edited by DougDingle; 04-28-2017 at 09:52 AM.
post #1062 of 1069 Old 04-28-2017, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
It's the Marantz and/or the LG.

HDMI control is a crapshoot, as you've discovered. It's a sloppy public domain protocol which manufacturers are free to modify, extend, or otherwise butcher. Which is why, in a majority of cases, it doesn't work properly. There are endless complaints about it on this forum. Endless.

When it does weird things, as in your case (and mine with an LG OLED and a Yamaha AVR), all you can do is turn it off and get a programmable remote to deal with settings components the way you want them to work. Your chances of fixing the problem using HDMI control are very close to zero.
I'm sure you're right. I'll try to figure out how to program my Harmony Smart Control to open the apps on the LG and switch my Marantz to TV Audio.
post #1063 of 1069 Old 07-24-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm trying to update the firmware on my NR1604, the screen went off and it's taken 15 minutes already in that state.

Am I still safe or is it bricked ?
Getting worried...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
post #1064 of 1069 Old 07-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.C01 View Post
I'm trying to update the firmware on my NR1604, the screen went off and it's taken 15 minutes already in that state.

Am I still safe or is it bricked ?
Getting worried...

Let it continue awhile longer and if still no change, unplug it and try to restart the update.
post #1065 of 1069 Old 07-25-2017, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Let it continue awhile longer and if still no change, unplug it and try to restart the update.
I unplugged it and it's dead .

Will try again when I get home. I emailed the agents in the area, will see what they reply.

Hopefully it's good news.

Thanks for the quick reply @jdsmoothie

post #1066 of 1069 Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Will try again when I get home. I emailed the agents in the area, will see what they reply.

Did it offer the update, or did you go check for anything new?

What version were you trying to install (if you remember)?
post #1067 of 1069 Old 07-25-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:

What does "dead" mean? Are you no longer able to power it on? Try doing a microprocessor reset as you power it on.
post #1068 of 1069 Old 07-25-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
What does "dead" mean? Are you no longer able to power it on? Try doing a microprocessor reset as you power it on.
OK, got it alive again by changing plugs .

Now it's showing update retry > > > >

It's displaying progress now which was not happening yesterday. I left it yesterday to update and when I got back to the room, it had no power or anything. Was still plugged in. Removed the plug and put it back in and nothing at all.

Probably was the faulty plug that gave me the stress issues.

I think someone made a prayer that got accepted.

post #1069 of 1069 Old 07-25-2017, 10:54 AM

Now it's working 100%.
Also finding my networked media pc.

Thanks guys for trying to help me out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1504 Slim Line 5 1 Network Receiver , Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page