The *** Official Marantz NR1604 *** Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 735 Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since there doesn't seem to be very much information out there on latest version of Marantz's slim line AVR I decided to start this thread. I have one on order and I'll be documenting my experiences here with it.

For now here are some links of interest for the NR 1604:

Marantz NR1604 Overview Page

NR1604 Spec Sheet PDF

NR1604 Owners Manual PDF
da Choge likes this.

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 735 Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well the receiver came in today and I've got it connected the rest of my system. I'm using a pair of Aperion Intimus 4T speakers. So far early impressions are good. I'm obviously limited by my speaker set up for now. But two channel stereo sounds great. A nice warm clear sound.

Set up was extraordinarily easy. The Audessy program ran without a hitch and connecting to my home network and NAS went just as well. SiriusXM also connected without issue. I'm uploading my MP3s and FLAC flies to the NAS now (it's also new for me).

One thing that I found odd was the the sticker on the front of the unit said 100W 7.1 sound. I was under the impression that this was a 50W unit.

If anyone has any questions about this receiver please ask, I'll do my best to answer.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #3 of 735 Old 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Liked: 10
Hi Petteri, thanks for starting this thread.

I have the NR1402 and it doesn't let me use manual EQ or tone correction when Audyssey is active. I have large speakers and Audyssey decides to cut the bass by about 5dB, leaving almost nothing. It almost seems my tuning mic is not well matched to the receiver in the low frequencies. And so I have no other option but to turn Audyssey off. I wonder if the NR1*04 have relaxed this restriction. Could you check?

Another question - when you turn the receiver off, do relays switch (ie making cracking sound)? When I use the sleep timer, this wakes me up. There are other receivers in the market that don't do that.

Thanks.

System 1: Yamaha RX-V2500 + 4x Bose 501 Series IV
System 2: Marantz NR1402 + 3x Boston Acoustics CS26 Gen. 1
post #4 of 735 Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
^^
The 1604 will react the same way in that if you select MANUAL EQ it disables Audyssey (which would be expected as you can only select one or the other) and as noted on p. 50 in the 1402 Manual, the Tone Control settings can only be adjusted when Dyn EQ is disabled (ie. Audyssey is still enabled), again just as is the case with the 1604.
rouslan likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 735 Old 05-10-2013, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouslan View Post

Another question - when you turn the receiver off, do relays switch (ie making cracking sound)? When I use the sleep timer, this wakes me up. There are other receivers in the market that don't do that.

Thanks.

The Audessy question was answered, but I haven't noticed the sharp drop off in the low end with Audyssey turned on.

The relays do make that clicking sound when you do turn the unit on or off. Sorry.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #6 of 735 Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM

I am a prospective NR1604 customer and apologise for posting on an owner's thread but I have a question I hope can be answered here.

I currently have a 7.1 set-up in my home cinema room and a separate set of stereo speakers in my kitchen which my current - but old - Denon AV receiver is driving. It has 9 speaker terminals in total, two of which are dedicated to Zone 2 i.e. my kitchen.

If I buy the NR1604, I still want to retain my 7.1 set-up in my home cinema room and drive the kitchen stereo speakers using the Zone 2 pre-out and a separate power amplifier (which I will need to purchase). The user manual for the NR1604 doesn't seem to have any info on the Zone 2 pre-outs and how they work unless I somehow missed it. Has anyone actually done this with the NR1604?

I assume that this should work no problem but as the manual seems to have skipped the instructions on how to use the Zone 2 pre-out, I wanted to check with a real user first. I would go to a retailer but the NR1604 is so new that none of the places near me have it in stock for a demo yet.
post #7 of 735 Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
585-645-1006

The Zone 2 pre-outs will output an independent analog connected source (ie. no digital source) or onboard audio source (network, internet radio, AM/FM Tuner, USB) or while using the "All Zone Stereo" feature will pass the same source (digital or analog) playing in the main zone to Zone 2.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8 of 735 Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post

Since there doesn't seem to be very much information out there on latest version of Marantz's slim line AVR I decided to start this thread. I have one on order and I'll be documenting my experiences here with it.

Thank you for starting this thread! It is kind of you to share your experience. I am interested in the NR1604 but can find little information about it. I shall lurk here happily...... smile.gif
post #9 of 735 Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The Zone 2 pre-outs will output an independent analog connected source (ie. no digital source) or onboard audio source (network, internet radio, AM/FM Tuner, USB) or while using the "All Zone Stereo" feature will pass the same source (digital or analog) playing in the main zone to Zone 2.

Thank you very much. Is this set up permanently i.e. the Zone 2 pre-outs are permanently active and there is no need to make any settings changes and will the source selection work the same way as if using the assignable speakers for Zone 2?
post #10 of 735 Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 AM
585-645-1006

Zone 2 settings refer to both the speaker posts and the pre-outs, so to use Zone 2, you must set it to ON and select a source.

post #11 of 735 Old 05-12-2013, 04:00 AM

Perfect. Thank you again.
post #12 of 735 Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM

jdsmoothie & Petteri, thanks for your thorough replies! :-)

System 1: Yamaha RX-V2500 + 4x Bose 501 Series IV
System 2: Marantz NR1402 + 3x Boston Acoustics CS26 Gen. 1
post #13 of 735 Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 AM

Indeed thank you for all the info, it is really useful and much appreciated.

Although somewhat off-topic considering that this is a dedicated thread for the NR1604, I would really appreciate opinions and recommendations for a power amp connected to the Zone 2 pre-outs to drive my kitchen speakers.

The physical set-up I have is that the kitchen speakers are wired with a fairly long run (~10m?) of good quality QED speaker cable currently connected to my old Denon receiver. If I go for the NR1604, I will end up needing the power amp to be physically located next to it, and driving the speakers via the existing cables i.e. I will not be running a long RCA cable to have the power amp near the speakers.

The power amp needs to be narrow in design i.e. max ~25cm wide and not much taller than the Marantz due to limited space.

I would like the amp to be triggered on/off via the Marantz 12V output if possible.

My kitchen speakers are B&W DM602 and my current Denon receiver seems to be driving them very nicely. I would like to retain the same quality or improve it naturally if possible.

Any recommendations for a good power amp to meet the above criteria would be greatly appreciated. I am happy to invest similar money on it as the NR1604 but ideally not much more.

By the way, please feel free to direct me to another thread if this is not the right place to discuss this.
post #14 of 735 Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 AM
585-645-1006

Why not just use the current Denon AVR to power Zone 2?

post #15 of 735 Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Well the receiver came in today and I've got it connected the rest of my system. I'm using a pair of Aperion Intimus 4T speakers. So far early impressions are good. I'm obviously limited by my speaker set up for now. But two channel stereo sounds great. A nice warm clear sound.

Set up was extraordinarily easy. The Audessy program ran without a hitch and connecting to my home network and NAS went just as well. SiriusXM also connected without issue. I'm uploading my MP3s and FLAC flies to the NAS now (it's also new for me).

One thing that I found odd was the the sticker on the front of the unit said 100W 7.1 sound. I was under the impression that this was a 50W unit.

If anyone has any questions about this receiver please ask, I'll do my best to answer.

Do you know any significant differences between the new nr1604 and the older nr1603? The former is $649 on amazon, and the latter on sale at $504.

I'm looking to get my first receiver, and the slimline Marantz receivers are looking good to me.

Also, I'm wondering if a new nr1404 is on its way to replace the nr1403, in which case the nr1403 would drop in price from its current $400.

Mark
post #16 of 735 Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Do you know any significant differences between the new nr1604 and the older nr1603? The former is $649 on amazon, and the latter on sale at $504.

I'm looking to get my first receiver, and the slimline Marantz receivers are looking good to me.

Also, I'm wondering if a new nr1404 is on its way to replace the nr1403, in which case the nr1403 would drop in price from its current $400.

Mark

According to Crutchfield, the nr1604 adds video upconversion and 4K passthrough. I'm not likely to use the latter for quite some time, but upscaling is useful for my DVD burner. I prefer to purchase from Crutchfield and the nr1403 was on backorder; they had an open box nr1604 at a good price.

Edit: The size was the key factor for me; still 4 1/8" tall so I have circulation in my 5 1/2" shelf.

--
post #17 of 735 Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Why not just use the current Denon AVR to power Zone 2?

It's a size issue. The main reason for me to be looking at the nr1604 is the slim profile. Otherwise I would be looking at a receiver with 9 speaker posts but these are all much bigger and won't fit.
post #18 of 735 Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for the lack of updates, my work schedule has been eating into my free time, thus limiting my opportunities to play with the Marantz. I've been having trouble getting the receiver to show up on my home network. It's connected just fine as far it's concerned. It has an IP address and can connect to the Internet and play Pandora, SiriusXM etc. but I cannot see it from iTunes (airplay) or as a DNLA device.

I also just this morning noticed a firmware update is available and I'm downloading that now as I type this. I can't find any release note anywhere on Marantz's website. Hopefully this might fix my networking issues.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #19 of 735 Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 AM
585-645-1006

For the Airplay issue review the post below ...

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#user_L1

For the firmware changelog, I'll update here when available.

Edit: The update fixed an issue with the GUI/OSD.

post #20 of 735 Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks! The Verizon router setting change did the trick for me. Both AirPlay and DNLA are now working correctly.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #21 of 735 Old 05-18-2013, 07:37 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

D&M now posts three different numbers for the AVRs .... in the case of the 1604 ..... 8-ohm (50W), 6-ohm(70W) and maximum(100W).

post #22 of 735 Old 05-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Prospective buyer here as well: will the NR1604 be a good fit for the Tannoy TFX speakers? Thank you!
post #23 of 735 Old 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themovielover View Post

Prospective buyer here as well: will the NR1604 be a good fit for the Tannoy TFX speakers? Thank you!

I'm no expert but in looking at the specs for those speaker they seem as if they'd be a good match. Are you going to be using the entire 5.1 set?

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #24 of 735 Old 05-27-2013, 03:37 PM

Thanks Petteri,

I have now ordered this beauty smile.gif Yes, the speakers I will use the entire 5.1 set, about 75% of time for movies and 25% for music. Will share more when it arrives this week. Cheers.

da Choge likes this.
post #25 of 735 Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Petteri,

I have now ordered this beauty smile.gif Yes, the speakers I will use the entire 5.1 set, about 75% of time for movies and 25% for music. Will share more when it arrives this week. Cheers.

Nice! Are you getting the silver model? Not sure why those aren't available on this side of the pond.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #26 of 735 Old 05-30-2013, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone updated the firmware? I see there is a firmware update.

Also are these updates universal or are there different ones for different regions?

BTW what is the difference between Denon and Marantz firmware? I see in says Denon in some places.
post #27 of 735 Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I have now ordered this beauty smile.gif

I'm totally envious !!! Wish I could get a silver model over here in the USofA. My bedroom setup is totally silver, except for the NR1603. I've thought about buying one from the UK just to get the silver outer case, then switch it to my NorthAmerican model - but that is just craziness/anal-retentiveness at its worst -- need to take my meds. Unfortunately, all the major AV brands dc'd all of their silver model US distributions 2-3+ years ago, even in speaker lines. Only the extremely high-end puts out silver finishes anymore.

Anywhose, as far as I've been able to determine, the only differences between the NR1603 and NR1604 models is a Zone 2 pre-out (the 1603 already had Zone 2 capability via high-level speaker outputs, as continued in the 1604), and an additional HDMI input ??? -- really ?!! -- does a slimline receiver need all these HDMI inputs? Kinda crazy for D&M to release a whole new model just for these isolated features, but everyone is always looking for the newest, latest, & greatest. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of a Zone 2 preout and could actually use it in my setting, but if there was an actual additionally worthwhile upgrade of - say - more power (from its predecessor's 50W/ch @ 2-chn driven to 90-100W/ch @ 2-chn driven) or an additional auxiliary/Zone 2 HDMI output instead of the additional input, I'd make the change in an instant, then sell my 1603 on eBay. But have I ever really exceeded or attempted to overdrive my setup past the 50W rating ? -- absolutely not; as I said, this is just a bedroom setup. Don't know why more always seems better ?!? -- but I'd be taken in every time.

I would hope there are other differences than just the Zone 2 pre-outs (don't really think the additional HDMI input will be used by anyone that buys this unit) with the new 1604, maybe in streaming ability/services or something? I still don't think that even the new 1604 can be used with a wireless dongle in its RJ-45 network input to make it connected completely wirelessly. I try to never go wireless (with my home network fixed components), but I think there would be others that would really like this feature. All that being said, I really like my 1603 for being a great, quite versatile and eloquently sleek, low-profile bedroom setup. I don't think that most could go too-far wrong in getting the new 1604.

- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #28 of 735 Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just noticed, there is a previously unavailable 12 VDC trigger out on the new NR1604. Guess Marantz is trying to make this a unit serve for a main AV setup for people that prefer a slimline model. I always thought of it as an auxiliary AVR for another room/Zone in the house. But if that's what they are trying to do, then all the more reason for infusing newer renditions of their slimline models with a little more power. That should not be a very hard or even expensive thing to do with today's better and more sophisticated digital amplifier modules like the slimlines already use. Just musing . . .

- da Choge

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #29 of 735 Old 05-31-2013, 02:00 AM
585-645-1006

1604 vs. 1603

Additional features:
  • +1 HDMI input
  • Zone 2 pre-outs
  • 4k upscaling/pass-through
  • 12v trigger
  • All Zone Stereo (pass HDMI source in main zone to Zone 2)
  • AM radio
  • Assignable analog inputs
  • Spotify
  • IR flasher IN
  • Dedicated HDMI Pass Through setting
da Choge likes this.

post #30 of 735 Old 05-31-2013, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 148
How do these Marantz slimline receivers compare to the more traditional models that come from Marantz and/or Denon? Why does Marantz have this line? Do you guys believe that the NR-1604 or NR-1603 would sound good compared to the SR-5006 or SR-6006? Does the NR-1603 share the same DAC and DSP chips as try NR-1604? If so, then going with the NR-1603 over the NR-1604 would be a better idea in my personal opinion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz Nr1604 Slim Line 7 1 Network Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1604 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page