Denon AVR-2112CI shuts off with new speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I have a Denon AVR-2112CI receiver for my home theater. I recently upgraded my front speakers to larger floorstanding speakers - Polk Audio 75T speakers. I have a Polk Audio CS2 series II center channel, and two small polk audio rear channels. I have an HTPC that I play movies from.

Now, I like to play my movies loud - but not crazy loud. I think I play it at a level that is reasonable to really get into the movie. I believe it registers around -12dB level on the receiver. When I do this for certain movies with intense audio scenes, my receiver shuts off and the power button blinks red. I believe it is at a 1/2 second frequency, which in the user manual states is "Protection Circuit. This is a function to prevent damage to devices within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage occurs or temperature for any reason. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs. The power indicator is blinking red in intervals of approximately 0.5 seconds. • Please use speakers which have the specified impedance.• The speaker cable has shorted (is touching). Firmly twist the core wire in the speaker cable, and then re-connect it to the speaker terminal."

So, I think it's clear that there's an overload or excessive voltage. I've noticed this occur before when the temperature was not high at all. I also checked to make sure my terminals were connected appropriately (I use banana plugs). Also, the front speakers have an 8 ohm impedence, but the Denon says it can handle 6-16 ohms.

So - does anyone have advice for me? Is this receiver not powerful enough (doubtful...)? Is my receiver defective? Can I no longer play my movies loud since I got larger speakers (wtf)? Do I need to buy a supplemental amp to drive these front speakers?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1525
The external amp is out as the 2112CI doesn't have the requisite pre-amp outputs to connect to it. However, if you also have a sub in your setup, more than likely after running Audyssey, the AVR set your FR/FR speakers to LARGE. Reset them to SMALL and raise their crossovers to 80Hz which will provide more headroom for the AVR as well as let your sub do what it's better capable of doing.

For more information on Audyssey review the link in my sig. Also note there is a dedicated thread for Denon AVR-XX12 Owner's linked below.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1334369/the-official-denon-avr-xx12-model-owners-thread/0_100#post_20422004

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 2112ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page