Onkyo TX-NR727, 626, 525 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 348 Old 06-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman02150 View Post
The issue is there is too much bass being pumped by all speakers. I tried to set crossover at 200HZ so bass would be directed to subwoofer but still there is too much bass in front, rear, rear back speakers.

The change in crossover values is not making any difference to how much bass is getting sent to speakers.

Any idea what to do?
I would think that setting the crossover to 200Hz would sound terrible as a subwoofer is not really supposed to be playing up that high.

Here are some ideas:

1) Did you run the full Audyssey setup with the microphone? If not, I would run it and make sure the subwoofer output is set to 75db during the first step of the process. Also, use a tripod to make sure the microphone is at ear height at the various listening positions. When you are done with Audyssey, make sure you set the crossover for all speakers to 80Hz to properly work with THX. Of course, make sure Audyssey is on for each input.

2) Go to the THX setup and say that you have a THX certified sub which will give you the option to turn the Boundary Gain Compensation (BGC) on, which should help with the boominess of the sub.

3) Is the 727 replacing an older receiver or is this the first time you are using this group of speakers and sub? Speaker positioning may make a difference. You may want to try moving your sub further away from the corner of the room and another inch or two from the wall if you can. It's funny how moving the sub a few inches can make such a big difference. You may also want to try the "subwoofer crawl" to determine the best spot.

What type of speakers do you have? While I splurged a bit on an Outlaw LFM1-EX sub, I have Polk Monitor 50s for fronts, a CS1 center, and FX3 surrounds (sides are set to dipole, rears set to bipole), so I am not running anything extravagant. I am coming from an Onkyo TX-SR606, and the Audyssey MultiEQ in the 727 greatly improved the sound of my entire system. The 626 only had Audyssey 2EQ which did not EQ the subwoofer (although I managed it with a Berenger Feedback Destroyer and Room EQ Wizard software).

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any additional help.
kmsninja likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 348 Old 06-30-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Remote stopped working

Hi,
I have been using the onkyo remote on my ipad and ipod without issues for several months now. However, recently the app does not display the onkyo receiver. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and the receiver is still connected to my network. I can access the web interface no problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!
post #333 of 348 Old 06-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if the 737 is useable with 6ohm speakers? I recently got the 727 but read that the 737 will be Dolby Atmos upgradeable by firmware.

My speakers are 130W 6ohm.
post #334 of 348 Old 06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post
Hi,
I have been using the onkyo remote on my ipad and ipod without issues for several months now. However, recently the app does not display the onkyo receiver. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and the receiver is still connected to my network. I can access the web interface no problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Try initializing the app. Tap the Settings icon in the upper left corner, select "Setting", the select "Initialize".

I was having problems with the app, but uninstalling and reinstalling did not help. Once I initialized, everything seemed back to normal.
kmsninja likes this.
post #335 of 348 Old 06-30-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 View Post
Try initializing the app. Tap the Settings icon in the upper left corner, select "Setting", the select "Initialize".

I was having problems with the app, but uninstalling and reinstalling did not help. Once I initialized, everything seemed back to normal.
Thanks for responding. How do I get to settings in this app? I am using iOS, and there is no setting or initialize. Just demo mode and search again.
post #336 of 348 Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post
Thanks for responding. How do I get to settings in this app? I am using iOS, and there is no setting or initialize. Just demo mode and search again.
Try going into demo mode and running the initialization from there.

Some other things to check: Is your receiver turned on and/or is Network Standby set to on? Also, make sure your phone/tablet is connected to the same wifi network as your receiver.
kmsninja likes this.
post #337 of 348 Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Try going into demo mode and running the initialization from there.

Some other things to check: Is your receiver turned on and/or is Network Standby set to on? Also, make sure your phone/tablet is connected to the same wifi network as your receiver.
Hey, thanks for responding. I learned something new about demo mode! Before i read the response, I rebooted the receiver by turning the power off and on again. Then the app found it. Would have preferred to not have to do that, as it seems hard on the unit somehow? I will try demo setup next time.
Thx again everyone.
post #338 of 348 Old 07-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question I am having Sub problems too!

Quote:
I would think that setting the crossover to 200Hz would sound terrible as a subwoofer is not really supposed to be playing up that high.

Here are some ideas:

1) Did you run the full Audyssey setup with the microphone? If not, I would run it and make sure the subwoofer output is set to 75db during the first step of the process. Also, use a tripod to make sure the microphone is at ear height at the various listening positions. When you are done with Audyssey, make sure you set the crossover for all speakers to 80Hz to properly work with THX. Of course, make sure Audyssey is on for each input.

2) Go to the THX setup and say that you have a THX certified sub which will give you the option to turn the Boundary Gain Compensation (BGC) on, which should help with the boominess of the sub.

3) Is the 727 replacing an older receiver or is this the first time you are using this group of speakers and sub? Speaker positioning may make a difference. You may want to try moving your sub further away from the corner of the room and another inch or two from the wall if you can. It's funny how moving the sub a few inches can make such a big difference. You may also want to try the "subwoofer crawl" to determine the best spot.

What type of speakers do you have? While I splurged a bit on an Outlaw LFM1-EX sub, I have Polk Monitor 50s for fronts, a CS1 center, and FX3 surrounds (sides are set to dipole, rears set to bipole), so I am not running anything extravagant. I am coming from an Onkyo TX-SR606, and the Audyssey MultiEQ in the 727 greatly improved the sound of my entire system. The 626 only had Audyssey 2EQ which did not EQ the subwoofer (although I managed it with a Berenger Feedback Destroyer and Room EQ Wizard software).

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any additional help.
I just got my 727 today and have it somewhat set up to my liking but I too cannot get much out of my sub. I have cranked it up to +10db and can tell very, very little difference. I am sure it is a setting but I can't find it. Any advice and would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Troy
post #339 of 348 Old 07-04-2014, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdnlc View Post
Anyone know if the 737 is useable with 6ohm speakers? I recently got the 727 but read that the 737 will be Dolby Atmos upgradeable by firmware.

My speakers are 130W 6ohm.
According to page 14 of the manual, yes.

"You can connect speakers with an impedance of between 4 and 16 ohms. If the impedance of any of the connected speakers is 4 ohms or more, but less than 6 ohms, be sure to set the minimum speaker impedance to “4ohms” (➔ page 59).

"If you use speakers with a lower impedance, and use the amplifier at high volume levels for a long period of time, the built-in protection circuit may be activated."
post #340 of 348 Old 07-04-2014, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post
I just got my 727 today and have it somewhat set up to my liking but I too cannot get much out of my sub. I have cranked it up to +10db and can tell very, very little difference. I am sure it is a setting but I can't find it. Any advice and would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! Troy
Hi Troy - have you tried the Audyssey Dynamic EQ (assuming you've run the Audyssey setup) which will give you more bass at lower listening levels?

If that doesn't work, then the following would be some areas to troubleshoot:

Source Material - are you playing material that has good bass and/or sound? There are plenty of lists available for recommended material to demo your HT sound system.

Source Device Setup - is your Blu-Ray/DVD or Cable/Satellite box connected via HDMI and is it set to output multi-channel digital audio?

Receiver Setup - are your speakers and sub connected correctly to your receiver? Did you run the Audyssey setup correctly? Review the options for THX, Dynamic EQ, crossover settings, etc. as previously posted. Try different listening modes.

Speakers/Sub Capabilities and Positioning - is the sub positioned optimally? Is the sub calibrated correctly? Is the sub big enough for the size of your room? The AVS subwoofer forum has been a great resource for me. Also, check the THX website for recommended speaker/sub positioning.

Any info on the above that you can provide would help find a solution. So far, I am impressed with the full, rich, clean sound the 727 puts out with my budget setup, with no strain when playing at reference level. Hopefully you can have a similar experience soon.
post #341 of 348 Old 07-04-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question Thanks, Sub Is Better But??

Quote:
Hi Troy - have you tried the Audyssey Dynamic EQ (assuming you've run the Audyssey setup) which will give you more bass at lower listening levels?

If that doesn't work, then the following would be some areas to troubleshoot:

Source Material - are you playing material that has good bass and/or sound? There are plenty of lists available for recommended material to demo your HT sound system.

Source Device Setup - is your Blu-Ray/DVD or Cable/Satellite box connected via HDMI and is it set to output multi-channel digital audio?

Receiver Setup - are your speakers and sub connected correctly to your receiver? Did you run the Audyssey setup correctly? Review the options for THX, Dynamic EQ, crossover settings, etc. as previously posted. Try different listening modes.

Speakers/Sub Capabilities and Positioning - is the sub positioned optimally? Is the sub calibrated correctly? Is the sub big enough for the size of your room? The AVS subwoofer forum has been a great resource for me. Also, check the THX website for recommended speaker/sub positioning.

Any info on the above that you can provide would help find a solution. So far, I am impressed with the full, rich, clean sound the 727 puts out with my budget setup, with no strain when playing at reference level. Hopefully you can have a similar experience soon.
Thank you for that very valuable information, it was a big help and my sub is much better.
While trying out a Blu Ray disk today, the Center channel was very low, even at max volume, the dialog was barly audible. I do not have this problem with live programming. I have tried about every setting but can't find the solution. Thoughts and suggestions would be very, very much appreciated. Thanks & happy 4th!!
post #342 of 348 Old 07-06-2014, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
626 always hot when supposedly turned off?

My 626 is always hot even when supposedly turned off. The Wifi light is always on and the unit is always hot. Not sure how much power it is consuming but I would imagine that is it some. What is it that is on inside there? And how much energy is is consuming?
post #343 of 348 Old 07-06-2014, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g725s View Post
My 626 is always hot even when supposedly turned off. The Wifi light is always on and the unit is always hot. Not sure how much power it is consuming but I would imagine that is it some. What is it that is on inside there? And how much energy is is consuming?
Is it possible that you have left Zone 2 or 3 turned on?
post #344 of 348 Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrickTaylor View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by kwpalgut 
 Hey everyone,

I've had my NR 626 for about 6 months now and I'm having a problem. Whenever I first turn on the receiver, there is no volume for the first approximately 3 minutes, then I have volume for the next 30 seconds or so, then no volume again for about a minute, then volume works fine for the remainder of the time it is turned on. It has been doing this consistently for a week. Any ideas?

I have been having a similar problem with a 727 for months now. Sometimes it went away and appeared to depend on media but lately it has gotten worse. I think I have just fixed it by swapping my HDMI cables - now no more waiting up to three minutes for the sound to kick in (and losing it again as soon as I go to the DVD menu or change discs). Hopefully this is a permanent fix. Turns out I shouldn't have used that budget HDMI cable after all :-( Either that or the HDMI cable had come loose and my Blu-ray player is not anchored down and my young people push it around sometime when feeding it kids movies.
Ok, I will get a new HDMI cable and swap it out. Let me know if your problem kicks in again. Hopefully it is that simple and not a bigger issue. Has anyone else experienced the same issue and it was not the cable? I just want to make sure since I am still within the 1 yr warranty for refurbished items for a few more months. Thanks!
post #345 of 348 Old 07-07-2014, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it possible that you have left Zone 2 or 3 turned on?
Hey that is possible. I did not have much time today but was able to get it to shut down hitting a few of the power buttons on the remote. Not sure what I did. But I've always been turning off and on with the power button on the receiver. Again, will have to find out exactly what i did to shut it down, as I was pushing the three power buttons on the remote, and it seemed that there was a delay in the internal shut-down procedure of the receiver itself.
post #346 of 348 Old 07-08-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpalgut View Post
Ok, I will get a new HDMI cable and swap it out. Let me know if your problem kicks in again. Hopefully it is that simple and not a bigger issue. Has anyone else experienced the same issue and it was not the cable? I just want to make sure since I am still within the 1 yr warranty for refurbished items for a few more months. Thanks!
Sorry - turned out the HDMI cable swap didn't fix the sound problems after all. Worked for a while and then returned worse than ever. Now up to 3 minutes with no sound and lose sound again if fast forward/rewind, return to menu, play for a few minutes and get it back. Seems to be media dependent however as to how long without sound. Current DVD series shows no problems. I highly recommend getting it in for a service under warranty - mine is just out of warranty
post #347 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 AM

So my 606 appears to be totally dead and the common solution didn't completely work so I'm in the market for a new receiver. After some initial searching the 626 seems to be a very good combination of price and features, however I'm a bit hesitant to give Onkyo any more of my money after my 606 experience. Skimming this thread it seems the 626 has been more reliable, but it's also new. I've seen a few bad amazon reviews, but never sure if that's outside of normal failure rates or not. As owners any reason to avoid the 626 for reliability reasons? I'd rather not have to replace my receiver every few years.
post #348 of 348 Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasigmookie View Post
So my 606 appears to be totally dead and the common solution didn't completely work so I'm in the market for a new receiver. After some initial searching the 626 seems to be a very good combination of price and features, however I'm a bit hesitant to give Onkyo any more of my money after my 606 experience. Skimming this thread it seems the 626 has been more reliable, but it's also new. I've seen a few bad amazon reviews, but never sure if that's outside of normal failure rates or not. As owners any reason to avoid the 626 for reliability reasons? I'd rather not have to replace my receiver every few years.
I've had my 626 Since May of 2013 and haven't noticed a single issue yet. I really like it. Sounds great and supports everything I need. This is my second Onkyo. The previous one I've had for 6 years (it's still working). I think it's a 605. Onkyo is one of the best for quality to price ratio in my opinion. Maybe you got a bad one.

Last edited by BaeckerX1; 07-29-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page