Onkyo TX-NR727, 626, 525 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 381 Old 08-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all, I figured asking owners of the same receiver would be the best way to go with this as I am confused with the varying info when searching the web.

I have a 727 hooked up to my PC via HDMI connected to my GTX670 GPU.

I currently still have it on i guess the windows default setting of "Stereo" under the PC's speaker setup. but am able to get sound through all 5 speakers when watching things like Netflix movies so I suppose this would be a virtual 5.1? Or is the receiver able to take the incoming audio and correctly split it to each speaker for true 5.1?

I tried setting the PC to 5.1, but then I couldnt get any sound from my rear speakers even when I tried different audio settings on the receiver. I am assuming this means Netflix only plays stereo audio even if its an HD video content? I am curious to see if I can get any 5.1 to play out with the PC set to it, I guess my only material to try would be a DVD in my PC.

The problem is that I still want to have a 5.1 setup when watching Netflix or HuluPlus even if it isn't true 5.1. Is there a way to have the receiver still play out to all 5 channels if the PC is set to 5.1 or should i stick with the current default settings on the PC since it seems to be working, but im not sure if its the best quality it can be?

I guess in general does anyone know if HuluPlus and Netflix have 5.1 audio for anything they stream, or is it all stereo?

I'm sure I can use different receiver settings for different content so its sounds the best for the given media, but there's quite a lot of choices that its tough to know which is best for each situation.

The main things I use my 5.1 setup for currently is:
Netflix/HuluPlus/Online Radio or Music all from my PC
DVDs/Blu-Rays from my Blu-ray player
I dont have Cable TV

Thanks for the help and obviously let me know if you need more detail on anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 381 Old 08-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtbahgs View Post
Hey all, I figured asking owners of the same receiver would be the best way to go with this as I am confused with the varying info when searching the web.

I currently still have it on i guess the windows default setting of "Stereo" under the PC's speaker setup. but am able to get sound through all 5 speakers when watching things like Netflix movies so I suppose this would be a virtual 5.1? Or is the receiver able to take the incoming audio and correctly split it to each speaker for true 5.1?

I tried setting the PC to 5.1, but then I couldnt get any sound from my rear speakers even when I tried different audio settings on the receiver. I am assuming this means Netflix only plays stereo audio even if its an HD video content? I am curious to see if I can get any 5.1 to play out with the PC set to it, I guess my only material to try would be a DVD in my PC.

The problem is that I still want to have a 5.1 setup when watching Netflix or HuluPlus even if it isn't true 5.1. Is there a way to have the receiver still play out to all 5 channels if the PC is set to 5.1 or should i stick with the current default settings on the PC since it seems to be working, but im not sure if its the best quality it can be?

I guess in general does anyone know if HuluPlus and Netflix have 5.1 audio for anything they stream, or is it all stereo?

I'm sure I can use different receiver settings for different content so its sounds the best for the given media, but there's quite a lot of choices that its tough to know which is best for each situation.

I dont have Cable TV

Thanks for the help and obviously let me know if you need more detail on anything.
In the Netflix app for Windows 8.1, if you swipe down from the top, there is a menu setting for "Languages" at the bottom. The default is stereo, but there is also an option for 5.1 (at least there was in "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs II"). I assume the option is there if the movie supports it. My laptop did not have the horsepower to play it (it just stuttered and no sound came out), but your PC may be able to handle the 5.1. I know that 5.1 works on the 727 with the Apple TV.
post #363 of 381 Old 08-25-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ahh sorry didnt think to mention, I am on Win 7 64bit.

Perhaps only select titles offer 5.1 and the majority is stereo or 2.1 so I will have to just decide from there if I want it to output stereo so it attempts to create a 5.1 environment, or output 5.1 and be happy when its truly there and get used to 2.1 otherwise.

I'd think if they do only have select titles with 5.1, then its almost always going to be movies. The TV series will probably all be stuck with 2.1.
post #364 of 381 Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio problem TXNR 626

I do hope I am posting in the correct forum. I have had my TXNR626 for about 3 months, and have noticed a delay in audio when switching between devices. For the first 30 seconds nothing, then it appears and goes off quickly, another 30 seconds and the audio comes on permanently. Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue, is their a firmware upgrade they may fix this, has anyone else had this problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Update: Firmware is showing as current.

Last edited by rdann; 08-29-2014 at 08:03 AM.
post #365 of 381 Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post
I was getting the dreaded audio sound cutting out symptoms, with my 3 month old tx nr 626. Sound cut out, got really loud, quiet, clicked, then after a while sounded normal, then randomly repeat, whenever I changed inputs, fast forwarded pvr, changed audio tracks, changed channels, changed pretty much anything except volume, and it also on its own from time to time. It happened whether or not I was using hdmi to provide sound or optical. I initially figured it was a heat problem, or hdmi board issue, since I only have 3.5 inches clearance above the receiver, and read about this online. It seemed like the receiver couldn't sort out what audio mode to use, it would kind of "lose" the audio setting, then take about 30 sec or so to figure it out, all the while clicking and the audio mode indicators turning on and off and switching from dolby to dts, etc. I started to guess it also could be firmware related, and didnt want to do a system reset. So after cycling on/off pvr/ps3/avr, etc i began to play with the avr settings. The setting that made it go back to normal was..... Turn off hdmi cec. Use receiver, noticed it's all good! Turn on hdmi cec. Still good. Maybe some kind of hdmi cec handshake problem - my tv is a 2010 pn50c550. I feel a bit lucky that this worked, and hope it sticks. Was close to calling onkyo for tech support. Hope this is useful for anyone that comes across this issue!

This seems similar to my problem, I will give your solution a try, thanks for posting.
post #366 of 381 Old 08-29-2014, 01:50 PM

I have heard of HDMI problems but I have not had a problem until now. My receiver is a TX-NR626
AT&T replaced my old DVR with a new one made by Pace. The new DVR is using the same cables but now it takes a few minutes for the audio to start. The video comes right up. I am connected over HDMI with no other cables going to these inputs.

Firmware 1081-1110-0000-0302

When Sound finally comes in the settings are
Input
HDMI3
DolbyD 5.1 48Khz
5.1 ch

Output
Dolby Digital
5.1ch

Under setup all the listening mode presets are set to "last valid"

Hardware setup - HDMI
CEC (RIHD) - Off
HDMI Through -Off
Audio TV out - Off
Lip Sync - Off
InstaPrevue Subwindow - Multi and Position - Bottom

Any ideas? Once it finally syncs everything is fine.

Last edited by b33tl3; 08-29-2014 at 01:57 PM.
post #367 of 381 Old 08-30-2014, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What are the Audio Out options of the new DVR? Maybe a different setting would help.
post #368 of 381 Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtbahgs View Post

I dont have Cable TV

I have also 'cut-the cord' and have a 626 with a GTX660Ti. Maybe this will help.

Start/Boot PC with AVR ON to be recognized by the GPU.

Right click speaker volume in taskbar - select 'Playback devices'
select AVR; set as 'default' and then select 'configure' to show the 5.1 or 7.1 menu.

When Digital Surround from the GPU is passed to the AVR the display should show "Multi-Channel"

The 5.1 & 7.1 option only appears in the Playback devices options menu when PC is started with the AVR ON -
If the AVR is OFF when the PC is started only the Stereo option will be available.

In my case, I must revert to the PC Playback devices configure menu and reset to 'Stereo' for audio pass-thru to the TV when the AVR is turned off while in surround mode.

All For Fun | HTPC & Gaming
post #369 of 381 Old 09-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Discovered a peculiar issue with my TX-NR626. I am connecting to a dlna server which houses my music collection.

The receiver connects to it properly but will then only display 10 objects. For example, if I make the dlna server serve the path of all music, the 626 will only see 10 directories of albums. If I change the dlna server so that it serves only one directory, the 626 only sees 10 songs within that directory even though there are far more.

I suspect this is some type of programming error where they didn't allocate enough memory space to list out the objects. It really sucks as it limits you to playing 100 songs. (10 directories with 10 items each)

Anyone else run into this one?
post #370 of 381 Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3truck View Post
Discovered a peculiar issue with my TX-NR626. I am connecting to a dlna server which houses my music collection.

The receiver connects to it properly but will then only display 10 objects. For example, if I make the dlna server serve the path of all music, the 626 will only see 10 directories of albums. If I change the dlna server so that it serves only one directory, the 626 only sees 10 songs within that directory even though there are far more.

I suspect this is some type of programming error where they didn't allocate enough memory space to list out the objects. It really sucks as it limits you to playing 100 songs. (10 directories with 10 items each)

Anyone else run into this one?
I use it fairly often and I have not had any problems. It does only show 10 items at any given time and I have to scroll down to get more.
post #371 of 381 Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by langanjp View Post
I use it fairly often and I have not had any problems. It does only show 10 items at any given time and I have to scroll down to get more.
Interesting. Mine shows the first 10 and then when I scroll down, it just repeats the same ones again. So item 11 is the same as item 1.

Wonder if it's something with my dlna server.
post #372 of 381 Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Optimizing Sound Quality for Stereo Sources

All,

I purchased a new TX-NR626 about a month ago. Audio & video work just fine with the STB and AppleTV, but I am somewhat disappointed with sound quality and behavior when I use it to play stereo music out of my Itunes library using Apple TV as the go-between. It's even worse when I use an Ipod as a source. Speaker set up is L/R/center. I'm using the oRemote Ipad app to see what type of A/V source the NR626 thinks its seeing, and what mode its using to play it back. I'm using the Onkotron Ipad app to change sources/modes etc.

Itunes library music comes into the NR626 through AppleTV as PCM5 via HDMI. The NR626 defaults to "Stereo 2.1" to play it. Front L/R speakers are very good quality ADS units in excellent condition. These are the same ones I used with my old Denon stereo, but the sound quality is just not as good as it used to be with the Denon. Basically, I've not been able to adjust the treble/bass to warm up the sound enough. I'm using a digitally encoded CD as the test case.

I also want to be able to use an IPod as a source. I've connected it to the NR626's TV/CD input. When I select it, the NR626 shows it as an Analog input, and defaults to "Direct" for playback. However, the sound is very flat, and the Treble/Bass controls are unavailable. If I change from "Direct" to "Stereo 2.1", the Treble/Bass controls will work, but the sound deteriorates - there's lots of popping on strong bass notes.

I will gleefully accept any and all suggestions as to how to best set up the NR626 to improve the sound quality for these two sources.

Also, is there a web article on audio sources & playback, perhaps especially for the NR626?

Thanks
post #373 of 381 Old 09-25-2014, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is the TX-NR828 similar enough to the 727 to be considered part of this thread? I couldn't find a thread for the 828 owners.
post #374 of 381 Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'm interested in the TX-NR626 because of its 4K passthrough and 4K upconversion abilities. Does anybody have one of these hooked up to a 4K TV? If so, how does the 4K upconversion look? Does it introduce a lot of display lag?
post #375 of 381 Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I see there is a new firmware release for the 636 released today (9/29) that adds Atmos support. There was also an earlier one released on 9/10. Has anyone tried either of these updates? Would be interested to know your experiences if so. Thx.
post #376 of 381 Old 09-30-2014, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Uniat View Post
I see there is a new firmware release for the 636 released today (9/29) that adds Atmos support. There was also an earlier one released on 9/10. Has anyone tried either of these updates? Would be interested to know your experiences if so. Thx.
Wrong thread, sorry!
post #377 of 381 Old 11-06-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Sorry for the long bump to the top but I have a question. I have just purchased a TX-NR525 and I have a question. The receiver has a total of 12 inputs (6 HDMI, 2 Component, and 4 Composite) but it looks like a only a combination of any of the six can be used at any one time. One for each of the input buttons on the front of the receiver. Is this correct?

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #378 of 381 Old 11-10-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello AVS,

I got a rOnkyo TX NR525 for $160.

This is my first receiver and first surround set-up.

My speakers are TEAC H265 all 5 speakers and Dayton 12" 1200 subwoofer.

How do I set-up the Audyssey and the placement of the mic?

Should I place it to where I sit?
post #379 of 381 Old 11-11-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paopawdecarabao View Post
Hello AVS,

I got a rOnkyo TX NR525 for $160.

This is my first receiver and first surround set-up.

My speakers are TEAC H265 all 5 speakers and Dayton 12" 1200 subwoofer.

How do I set-up the Audyssey and the placement of the mic?

Should I place it to where I sit?
The manual (on the CD-ROM) describes the procedure pretty good. In a nutshell what you do is have your TV and all your speakers connected, place the microphone at the height your ear would be when you are sitting to watch a movie (I use a tripod to hold the mic), and plug the mic into the receiver while the receiver is on. The receiver will detect that the mic has been attached an start the testing procedure. At that point just follow the directions on the screen. It will first ask you to adjust the level of your subwoofer which you do using the volume control on the powered sub. Once that is set it will begin testing all the speakers. There is a more complex six position calibration procedure that you can use as well if you really want to.

I hope this helps.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar
post #380 of 381 Old 11-11-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post
The manual (on the CD-ROM) describes the procedure pretty good. In a nutshell what you do is have your TV and all your speakers connected, place the microphone at the height your ear would be when you are sitting to watch a movie (I use a tripod to hold the mic), and plug the mic into the receiver while the receiver is on. The receiver will detect that the mic has been attached an start the testing procedure. At that point just follow the directions on the screen. It will first ask you to adjust the level of your subwoofer which you do using the volume control on the powered sub. Once that is set it will begin testing all the speakers. There is a more complex six position calibration procedure that you can use as well if you really want to.

I hope this helps.

Laters,
Jeff

Thanks for the reply!

I already did the set-up and it was easy.

I did only the 3 position calibration.

The bluetooth adapter for the Onkyo TX NR525 is the UBT-1 right?

I might order one.

So far I am loving the receiver haven't tried the networking yet or other features.

Any features that is worth using with the TX NR525?

Do I need to update the firmware?

Last edited by Paopawdecarabao; 11-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
post #381 of 381 Old 11-16-2014, 11:16 AM
tap

Has anyone been able to play multichannel audio via USB or DLNA? I've tried every codec and container I can and the receiver won't play anything with more than two channels via USB or DLNA. Anyone managed to do this? I think maybe a HTPC using HDMI or optical is the only way.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr525 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page