Onkyo TX-NR727, 626, 525 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #511 of 524 Old 02-21-2016, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've found that when running the Audyssey setup, is to run the sub louder than what it wants on the screen where you set it's db. It helps to give the sub more oomph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 524 Old 03-18-2016, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I have a 727. Recently, while watching Cable/Uverse, the volume will occasionally fade to nothing. The actual volume indication on the onkyo does not change, just the actual output. It takes approximately 30-45 seconds for the sound to drop.

If I then change channels randomly, I can get the audio back. some channels still have "surround" audio from the left/right, but it's fairly quiet. I have to land on a channel that is not 5.1 or so it seems, to get the audio back, or completely remove power from the AVR.

The Uverse box is plugged in directly to the TV (un65js8500) and audio is returned via ARC to the AVR. I only seem to notice this when watching cable, it hasn't happened during bluray or app viewing on the tv to my knowledge. BluRay is routed directly to the AVR, though.

When this occurs, if I switch to the TV's internal speakers, sound is present.

I'm assuming the AVR is having an issue. Has this been a common issue? I searched the thread but didn't see anyone with quite the same issue.

Sony xbr65x850c Side Blooming test clips:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...br65x850c.xlsx
post #513 of 524 Old 03-23-2016, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the TX-NR626 and it seems that zone 2 signal has a high pass crossover on it. I get no low frequencies out of the speakers connected to the powered zone 2.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the x-over to get full frequency range? If there isn't a way to disable it on the powered zone 2, does the non-powered zone 2 suffer from that issue?

Any help is appreciated. I have wired my house with several different rooms all making use of zone 2 with a speaker selector and the audio, while clear in mid and highs is lacking any and all low frequencies.

Edit: I hooked up my Marantz 2235B to the non-powered zone 2 output and connected it to a set of speakers and it plays the full frequency range. So, it is just the powered zone 2 output that is not sending low frequencies. Anyone have any idea why? I've gone through every setting and can't find anything showing a high pass x-over on the powered zone 2 output.

Last edited by mp3truck; 03-24-2016 at 12:22 PM.
post #514 of 524 Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=mp3truck;42627458]I have the TX-NR626 and it seems that zone 2 signal has a high pass crossover on it. I get no low frequencies out of the speakers connected to the powered zone 2.

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the x-over to get full frequency range? If there isn't a way to disable it on the powered zone 2, does the non-powered zone 2 suffer from that issue?
/QUOTE]

I'm not able to directly answer your Q--sorry. But I have a 626, and use the Android 'Onkyo Remote' app. BTW, to all who have a recr that can use this app, it is KEY to easy control; it is fantastic; faaar better than the remote at least for me, my kids, and my wholly non-techie GF.

Now, in the app, at times on the screen there are 3 or 4 oblong buttons that say things like Game, Music, Stereo, Direct. I have noticed that activating--or NOT--some of these seem to filter lows. Try that.

The unfortunate thing is the 626 doesn't allow Zone 2 tone control (right?), which would've been an easy way to at least boost lows/cut highs.

Matt
Bowmanville ON
post #515 of 524 Old 03-28-2016, 05:36 PM

[quote=Matty;42774042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3truck View Post
I have the TX-NR626 and it seems that zone 2 signal has a high pass crossover on it. I get no low frequencies out of the speakers connected to the powered zone 2.

/QUOTE]

I'm not able to directly answer your Q--sorry. But I have a 626, and use the Android 'Onkyo Remote' app. BTW, to all who have a recr that can use this app, it is KEY to easy control; it is fantastic; faaar better than the remote at least for me, my kids, and my wholly non-techie GF.

Now, in the app, at times on the screen there are 3 or 4 oblong buttons that say things like Game, Music, Stereo, Direct. I have noticed that activating--or NOT--some of these seem to filter lows. Try that.

The unfortunate thing is the 626 doesn't allow Zone 2 tone control (right?), which would've been an easy way to at least boost lows/cut highs.

Matt
Bowmanville ON
Thanks for the reply. A good thought. Unfortunately, in zone 2 from the phone app, the "Listening Mode" four buttons are not there. Also, the Audio button at the bottom right is grayed out when on zone 2.

I do agree that the Onkyo phone app is very nice, though. I listen to zone 2 on my patio and in garage where I've wired speakers to the powered zone 2 and being able to control volume and source from those locations on my phone is great.

Really wish I could get an answer as to why I get no low end frequencies out of powered zone 2. I asked on the Onkyo forum but so far have had no response.
post #516 of 524 Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Strange is that I can't get DVDs or BDs with properly flagged tracks to decode. The receiver info shows the incoming audio as Dolby surround but will only playback direct 2.0 or I have to manually engage DPLII which is a different decoding system. Why is there no auto-sensing as there is for DD, DTS, and their HD variants?

Also, is "Stereo" mode direct 2.0 with sub enhancement? This is what I would use on my old amp for all 2.0 and 1.0 movies for the most part and wanted to make sure the signal wasn't being tampered with. It's silly there isn't a method to do this in the movies tab.
--Is there something for 1.0 encoded tracks to also run the sub?

Onkyo has never responded on my support forum posts, nor will they ever answer the phone during business hours.
mp3truck likes this.
post #517 of 524 Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Liked: 0
Hey guys, new user here, but recently getting into 4K stuff, so bear with me...

I have the Onkyo TX-NR727, and a Samsung UN55HU7250 Curved 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz Smart LED TV. I recently bought a Roku 4 and tried to connect to the Roku to the Onkyo, but it told me it couldn't output 4K because the device it is connected to could not accept the signal. After some extensive google searches I still can't figure out if the 727 can actually accept a native 4K HDCP 2.2 signal. All of the feature pages and the user manual just say "4K passthrough" but even when I configure that setting there's no signal from the Roku. I can't figure out what the HDMI specs are on the receiver / which port to use for the Roku.

The only way I could get the Roku to output 4K was by directly connecting to my Samsung's HDMI 3 port, then using an optical out cable from the TV to the Onkyo for surround sound. It's a workaround but not ideal.

Do you guys have any experience / advice with this stuff? I also bought the Samsung SEK3500U One Connect Evolution Kit to upgrade my TV. Hoping that helps some of my issues, but if the 727 doesn't actually handle HDCP 2.2 then it's a moot purchase.
post #518 of 524 Old 03-30-2016, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdIncognito View Post
Hey guys, new user here, but recently getting into 4K stuff, so bear with me...

I have the Onkyo TX-NR727, and a Samsung UN55HU7250 Curved 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz Smart LED TV. I recently bought a Roku 4 and tried to connect to the Roku to the Onkyo, but it told me it couldn't output 4K because the device it is connected to could not accept the signal. After some extensive google searches I still can't figure out if the 727 can actually accept a native 4K HDCP 2.2 signal. All of the feature pages and the user manual just say "4K passthrough" but even when I configure that setting there's no signal from the Roku. I can't figure out what the HDMI specs are on the receiver / which port to use for the Roku.

The only way I could get the Roku to output 4K was by directly connecting to my Samsung's HDMI 3 port, then using an optical out cable from the TV to the Onkyo for surround sound. It's a workaround but not ideal.

Do you guys have any experience / advice with this stuff? I also bought the Samsung SEK3500U One Connect Evolution Kit to upgrade my TV. Hoping that helps some of my issues, but if the 727 doesn't actually handle HDCP 2.2 then it's a moot purchase.
4K passthrough means exactly that it passes the data through without any modification.
post #519 of 524 Old 03-30-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytyguy View Post
4K passthrough means exactly that it passes the data through without any modification.
I understand that, but according to the Roku if I try to select either 4K or 4K (10-bit) while connected to the 727 it gives me the following:

Quote:
This HDMI input does not support HDCP 2.2 which is required to play 4K UHD content. If you have a 4K UHD TV, connect your player to the HDMI inputs labeled HDCP 2.2 and select 4K UHD to try again.
I've tried connecting the Roku to every HDMI input labeled 4K on the 727, and have output the 727 to both my Samsung's HDMI 3 (MHL) and HDMI 4 (ARC). The signal just doesn't come through. But when the Roku is plugged directly into the Samsung the signal shows up just fine.

Thus, it doesn't seem like the 727 is capable of handling a true 4K HDCP 2.2 signal.
post #520 of 524 Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
All the receivers in this thread came out before HDCP 2.2 and that also means they won't do 4k for the new 4k blu-ray players either.
post #521 of 524 Old 03-30-2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRC View Post
All the receivers in this thread came out before HDCP 2.2 and that also means they won't do 4k for the new 4k blu-ray players either.
Damn. Is there some sort of upgrade I could do to the 727, or do I have to sell it and invest in a newer model?
post #522 of 524 Old 04-18-2016, 09:24 AM

I have a TX-NR626, and am having a weird problem with the zone2 stuff.

I use the android app to listen to pandora on my patio (zone2). However, sometimes, I like to listen to it indoors as well. If I turn the receiver on, set it to net, and try to start listening, it's basically stuck on zone2, and I can't seem to get it to turn on the main zone speakers.

I suspect there is some combination of buttons and switches I need to press to get this to work. Right now, the only way I've figured out to undo this, is to pull the power cord and then start it back up. There must be a better way. I've even tried setting zone2 to off, and all I get from that is no sound anywhere.

(I also checked, my receiver is not one of the units affected by the sound/network bug, so, it's not that.)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
post #523 of 524 Old 04-18-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbled View Post
I have a TX-NR626, and am having a weird problem with the zone2 stuff.

I use the android app to listen to pandora on my patio (zone2). However, sometimes, I like to listen to it indoors as well. If I turn the receiver on, set it to net, and try to start listening, it's basically stuck on zone2, and I can't seem to get it to turn on the main zone speakers.

I suspect there is some combination of buttons and switches I need to press to get this to work. Right now, the only way I've figured out to undo this, is to pull the power cord and then start it back up. There must be a better way. I've even tried setting zone2 to off, and all I get from that is no sound anywhere.

(I also checked, my receiver is not one of the units affected by the sound/network bug, so, it's not that.)

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.
From the remote app on your phone, click the power button in the upper left corner. This should bring up the menu that shows Main and Zone2. The power indicator for Zone2 should be illuminated blue because it is on when you're on the patio. Press that to turn off zone 2 which should gray it. Press the grayed out power button for Main which should turn on the Main zone and illuminate it blue.
post #524 of 524 Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've tried Zone 2 on my 626 for decoded surround titles from a separate amp since it's the only way to input extra analog ins--but it does seem that they are permanently filtered.

Odd thing is, the longer I have the amp running the better the decoding gets. When I run the old circulating noise pattern from Video Essentials, the center bleed to the rears in both PL2 and Neo 6 is fairly obvious....but not after running the unit for some time. What in the world...

I figured out most everything else, but it certainly isn't user friendly. It took quite some time to realize that to run 2.0 or 1.0 with the woofer activated you have to use Stereo mode under the music setting. There is also very little auto detection of codecs and it will not process surround encoded tracks despite actually picking up the flag and displaying Dolby Surround!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread