Onkyo TX-NR727, 626, 525 "official" owner's thread discussion - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 382 Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethaniel View Post

This weekend I bought the TX-NR626. I have a question about the bluetooth capabilities of it. I know that it works as a bluetooth receiver and I've gotten it to work with the devices we have pretty easily.

Does anyone know if the bluetooth should also be able to work as a transmitter so that you can connect stereo bluetooth headphones to it?

I've tried to connect the earpiece that I use for my phone as a test before buying a nice pair of stereo headphones, but I haven't gotten it to connect. The earpiece is the Motorola Elite Flip and it does support A2DP.

I couldn't find any mention in the manual of connecting bluetooth headphones so now I'm wondering if it's a bluetooth receiver only.

The Onkyo works as a Bluetooth receiver only. In fact, it shows up as a glorified USB headset when you connect to it:
Code:
Onkyo TX-NR626:
  Address:      00-00-00-00-00-00
  Type: Audio
  Services:     Audio Sink, AVRCP CT
  Paired:       Yes
  Favorite:     Yes
  Connected:    No
  Manufacturer: Unknown (0x6, 0xf4e9)
  EDR Supported:        Yes
  eSCO Supported:       Yes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 382 Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethaniel View Post

This weekend I bought the TX-NR626. I have a question about the bluetooth capabilities of it. I know that it works as a bluetooth receiver and I've gotten it to work with the devices we have pretty easily.

Does anyone know if the bluetooth should also be able to work as a transmitter so that you can connect stereo bluetooth headphones to it?

I've tried to connect the earpiece that I use for my phone as a test before buying a nice pair of stereo headphones, but I haven't gotten it to connect. The earpiece is the Motorola Elite Flip and it does support A2DP.

I couldn't find any mention in the manual of connecting bluetooth headphones so now I'm wondering if it's a bluetooth receiver only.

I'm pretty sure it's one way, and a receiver only, otherwise they would sell it as being capable of driving Bluetooth speakers, etc. That would drive the price up a lot, and sacrifice sound quality.

That being said, even the Bluetooth streaming is not optimal for me so far. I love the receiver, but streaming music from my Nexus 7 to my receiver so far has been problematic. It works, but the music breaks up for a second several times per song. Streaming is not a consistent experience, even when I put the device right next to the receiver. I'm not sure if something else in my system is causing interference or what. Anyway, maybe it's something that will get fixed in a firmware update if it is the receiver. I have a dock with an audio out, but I like being able to control it remotely from wherever in the room, so I think I'll download Skifta or BubbleUPnP and stream over WiFi to the 626 since it supports DLNA. I haven't had the time to try it yet, but I imagine it will work better than the Bluetooth streaming (without breaking up), and be better quality as well. Unfortunately Google Music does not support DLNA streaming natively so I have to look at workarounds.
post #33 of 382 Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Strange my Bluetooth music streaming works fine, I haven't noticed any drops or breakups. I'm using a galaxy s3 to stream.

Sent from my SPH-L710
post #34 of 382 Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer Jo View Post

Strange my Bluetooth music streaming works fine, I haven't noticed any drops or breakups. I'm using a galaxy s3 to stream.

Sent from my SPH-L710

Hmm. Maybe I'll try with my Razr Maxx to rule out any potential issues with the Nexus 7. My cable modem and wireless router are very close to the receiver. I actually put them in my living room home theater at ground level and ran a network jack into the basement office. That allowed me to have PS3, 360, etc hard-wired and have better wireless coverage in my house instead of having the wireless router in the basement which would create problems getting wireless signal upstairs. Perhaps my dual-band router is causing interference with it being so close to the receiver.

Another question. Is your receiver setup on WiFi or hard-wired? Mine is on WiFi because I ran out of network jacks, but I do have a small gigabit smart switch I could use to run it hard-wired if it is causing interference with BT in any way.
post #35 of 382 Old 05-28-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Same here. iPhone 5 and reliable Bluetooth.
post #36 of 382 Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Update. Apparently it's an issue with the latest Android OS update (4.2+) and Bluetooth stack, NOT the receiver. Sorry for the scare. I'll verify with an older OS version (my Razr is 4.1.2) and my girlfriend's iPhone.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=39633&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

Odd that 4.2.2 was supposed to fix that. That's what I'm running, but still having issues. Need to investigate further. At least I'm not the only one.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2149131
post #37 of 382 Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Just to follow up on my problem quoted below, I went deeper into the menus and found that toggling HDMI CEC RIHD enabled the HDMI OUT SUB. Even though it was defaulted to OFF, switching it to ON and back OFF did the trick. It must be a bug in the firmware. The manual even states that sub out does not support it.

Hope this may help someone else.

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebach View Post

The day it was available, I purchased a TX-NR626 for a second room after using the TX-NR1007 in my HT for the last few years.

I seem to be having trouble with the HDMI SUB-OUT. Only the MAIN OUT seems to be working. I can view my TV on the MAIN, but a projector on the SUB will not pick up a signal. If I swap the cables, I can see the projector on the MAIN and I can't see the TV on the SUB... so it seems to me that the SUB OUT is dead. I have futzed with the HDMI out settings and nothing lets me see both at the same time.

I realize this is a new unit, but is anyone else seeing this issue, or could check their SUB OUT?

Firmware is the shipping firmware number at the top of this thread... Ethernet is attached and working with the Onkyo remote app, streaming, etc., but if I go to the Firmware option, it actually keeps telling me it "can't check for firmware at this time" to which I kinda think, "why not?"

Dave
gr8deadfan likes this.

Be The Beer! BriansBelly.com
post #38 of 382 Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaeckerX1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer Jo View Post

Sent from my SPH-L710

Hmm. Maybe I'll try with my Razr Maxx to rule out any potential issues with the Nexus 7. My cable modem and wireless router are very close to the receiver. I actually put them in my living room home theater at ground level and ran a network jack into the basement office. That allowed me to have PS3, 360, etc hard-wired and have better wireless coverage in my house instead of having the wireless router in the basement which would create problems getting wireless signal upstairs. Perhaps my dual-band router is causing interference with it being so close to the receiver.

Another question. Is your receiver setup on WiFi or hard-wired? Mine is on WiFi because I ran out of network jacks, but I do have a small gigabit smart switch I could use to run it hard-wired if it is causing interference with BT in any way.

Sorry for late reply, I'm running a custom rom with 4.2.2 and my receiver is connected via WiFi. My precise Rom is Liquid Smooth, maybe the phones manufacturer did something different to the Rom/stock firmware?

Sent from my SPH-L710
post #39 of 382 Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm using wireless to stream music from a synology DLNA server with good success. Streaming radio also works well!
post #40 of 382 Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Liked: 10
I just set the 626 up in my living room yesterday. I'm using a 15" Velodyne sub, a pair of B&W's for the front, B&W center, and some KLH 8" AV series for surrounds. It's pretty badass on the blurays I love.

The one thing I was hoping out of this receiver and didn't get was that the phono pre-amp would be hotter. Seems pretty quiet, just like the other "modern" amps I've used.

Would it hurt to add a pre-amp in between my turn table and the receiver? Would it void the warranty?
post #41 of 382 Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Am I correct that on the TX-NR626 (USA) the distances are in 1ft increments, and the trims are in 1db increments?

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #42 of 382 Old 06-02-2013, 02:46 PM

i currently own the 525. it's in my bedroom 11x14 and is powering 3 axiom M2v3 speakers and 2 axiom QS4v3 surrounds with an emotiva ultra sub 12 and it sounds great. i'm very happy with it thus far. i only have one issue with it and i believe it can be dealt with in a firmware update. i currently stream a lot of hi-rez audio via a cat6 gigabit network. everything plays great with the exception of some selections on certain albums at 192/24. it does play most of the 192/24 music but just a small handfull it says it can't play and we are talking tracks on albums, not complete albums. i get the message "cannot play" and it goes to the next track.

i've notified onkyo and they replied saying they are looking into it. the digital albums are all from HDTracks. as i mentioned, i really like this receiver. it does everything i want it to, has plenty of power for my 90db front 3 speakers and the 94db surrounds in the room that they are in. it easily fills the room with no problem. also the 525's DAC sounds great on all my music from the rolling stones to fleetwood mac to john coltrane; all resolutions sound amazing. i'm so happy that they finally are rolling out receivers that stream hi-rez via ethernet. Oh Yeah, this receiver and the others mentioned in this thread all stream DSD and Dolby TrueHD via ethernet. so for someone wanting to get into hi-rez audio and not spend a fortune on an external DAC out of the gate, i highly recommend this for starters and intermediate leveled listeners. truth is, this sounds fine and notice i didn't use the term audiophile! it sounds good to me and it's surely good enough for me in the bedroom.

for me, this is a great receiver, worth every penny and i'm very, very glad i got it. i've downloaded some DSD sources and they sound amazing! i have a blu-ray player and hddvr cable box connected to it. so far, no problems with either of them with the receiver.

this receiver replaces my 509 which i gave to my daughter who just graduated college. this is her first "big girl" receiver. she loves being my child getting all the gently, lovingly used gear i have! tongue.gif

i'll keep you guys posted and let you know if a firmware for the 525 comes out and resolves the issue of not playing some 192/24 sources while playing others.

55" Sony SXRD 1080P, PS3 & XBOX 360,
AppleTV, iPhone5,iPad4 both 64gb
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Onkyo PR-SC5507P & TX-NR525.
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10 & 5Jr, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, NYGiants!
post #43 of 382 Old 06-02-2013, 05:26 PM

I just got a set of sennheiser wireless headphones, could anyone suggest the best hookup without having to plug into the front headphone jack, but still get the pvr sound, as well as Apple TV, ps3, fm radio, etc? Zone2 seems a possibility, but I can only get fm radio. I would like to be able to listen to Apple TV, and use my iPad remote controls (I have iPad remote controls for both the receiver and Apple TV).

Another problem I ran into which is troubling me, I switched my pvr to hdmi 6 (was previously on hdmi 3), then set tv/VCR to hdmi 6. Well, all of a sudden the receiver started clicking over and over, and the pvr signal would flash on a bit, then it worked for about 5 mins, but when I switched input to something else, like atv, ps3' etc, when I go back to tv/VCR (on hdmi6), the receiver just starts clicking repeatedy. In the end, went back to hdmi 3. Atv, ps3 are ok on hdmi6, so I don't understand why the pvr doesn't work on that input. The pvr is a Motorola VIP2262.
Thx in advance for any advice.
post #44 of 382 Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post

I just got a set of sennheiser wireless headphones, could anyone suggest the best hookup without having to plug into the front headphone jack, but still get the pvr sound, as well as Apple TV, ps3, fm radio, etc? Zone2 seems a possibility, but I can only get fm radio. I would like to be able to listen to Apple TV, and use my iPad remote controls (I have iPad remote controls for both the receiver and Apple TV).

Another problem I ran into which is troubling me, I switched my pvr to hdmi 6 (was previously on hdmi 3), then set tv/VCR to hdmi 6. Well, all of a sudden the receiver started clicking over and over, and the pvr signal would flash on a bit, then it worked for about 5 mins, but when I switched input to something else, like atv, ps3' etc, when I go back to tv/VCR (on hdmi6), the receiver just starts clicking repeatedy. In the end, went back to hdmi 3. Atv, ps3 are ok on hdmi6, so I don't understand why the pvr doesn't work on that input. The pvr is a Motorola VIP2262.
Thx in advance for any advice.

which of the receiver models do you have?

55" Sony SXRD 1080P, PS3 & XBOX 360,
AppleTV, iPhone5,iPad4 both 64gb
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Onkyo PR-SC5507P & TX-NR525.
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10 & 5Jr, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, NYGiants!
post #45 of 382 Old 06-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Solardadd, i got the TX-NR 626,
ps
I think I figured out the wireless headphone problem over the last few days, and will post for anyone else who might want to know. Basically, you have to run analog signals to the RCA jacks corresponding to the same input as the hdmi. For example, with the pvr input to hdmi3 assigned to tv/cd, I route RCA cables from the analogue output of the pvr to the tv/cd RCA jacks on the back of the receiver. Now, when selecting tv/cd for zone 2 input, the receiver will automatically use the analog inputs. Other units that have analog output are hooked up a similar way.

Appletv is a bit more involved because atv does not have analog output. For this, you need a digital audio converter, route the optical from atv to the DAC, then the analog from the DAC to the corresponding RCA jacks for whatever input you assigned the ATV to; ironically, I use PC, LoL.

Still No idea why the pvr doesn't work on hdmi 6 though...
post #46 of 382 Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Am I correct that on the TX-NR626 (USA) the distances are in 1ft increments, and the trims are in 1db increments?

Yes, and m is also available for distance.
post #47 of 382 Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 PM

Hello, been running my 626 since about May 3rd no problem, simply more of annoyances. Thought i would try to make the ultimate combo and paired it with my logitech harmony ultimate but i'm having a problem getting the harmony software to recognize how to dump it into zone 2. Yes I know i can do this via the Onkyo App however for my wife, this needs to be as close to one button as possible for her to enjoy music outside. Has anyone had any success running a harmony with it and being able to command zone 2 in order to turn the volume up or down in it?

--Update--

After looking around I seem to have fixed it, but it equates to adding a lot of extra buttons in manually. The zone 2 button works like a switch to throw the remote between receiver and zone 2. So add Commands to the remote profile for it and when learning the new commands to the Harmony simply make sure to hit zone 2 before starting and then all the buttons should register their zone 2 commands versus the receiver commands. I'm now able to use the Harmony app to turn on the zone two without fiddling with the receiver upstairs at all and can control the volume outside using my zone 2 volume up and down options. There are still glitches with getting the onkyo app to see the receiver sometimes but overall this thing has made the home theater an absolute blast and given our patio new life with the various apps.
post #48 of 382 Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsninja View Post

Yes, and m is also available for distance.

Thanks!

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #49 of 382 Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Sorry i posted a problem with 626 remote, which was not actually a problem. I didnt know how to operate it since it was my first av receiver having universal remote.
It is working fine as it is meant to be. Sorry for the wrong post.
post #50 of 382 Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Does the 626 have the light ring around the volume like the 717 did?
I had the 717 and loved it but hdmi drop outs made me take it back. Got the Denon 2113 and i hate it. Sound is not close to what the onkyo could produce and it is randomly not wanting to stream my music from my computer so it is going back tomorrow.

So that leaves me with getting a new 717 or the 626.
The 717 i can get for $549 and the 626 for $499 so a $50 difference.

Is it really worth the $50 less to go from 2EQ to MultiEQ and leave the extra 10watts and THX behind? (only sound formats i found i like are the normal DD or 5ch stereo and pure for music)
post #51 of 382 Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastgtp View Post

I had the 717 and loved it but hdmi drop outs made me take it back. Got the Denon 2113 and i hate it. Sound is not close to what the onkyo could produce and it is randomly not wanting to stream my music from my computer so it is going back tomorrow.

So that leaves me with getting a new 717 or the 626.
The 717 i can get for $549 and the 626 for $499 so a $50 difference.

Is it really worth the $50 less to go from 2EQ to MultiEQ and leave the extra 10watts and THX behind? (only sound formats i found i like are the normal DD or 5ch stereo and pure for music)

why not get the 818 instead? can be had for cheap
post #52 of 382 Old 06-13-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastgtp View Post

No, the 626 doesn't have the light ring.

-Seth
post #53 of 382 Old 06-13-2013, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

why not get the 818 instead? can be had for cheap

If I had the choice between and 818 and 626, the 818 is by far the better choice.
post #54 of 382 Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 PM

What has been everyones experience using the Android OnkyoRemote app? It was working for a few weeks, now I can't connect to the receiver. I can stream music off my network, I can hit the receiver via a web browser - so I know the receiver is on the network. The OnkyoRemote app will find my TV (oddly enough) but it just won't find the receiver anymore.

I really wish I could increase volume on the phono side, too. It's REALLY quiet. I'm going to be hooking up the phono pre-amp this weekend and I'll report back how it works.
post #55 of 382 Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM

The few times I used it it was good, I used to use it to switch the source to Bluetooth then I realized I could just connect to the receiver via my phone's Bluetooth menu to stream music. Also i have noticed that sometimes the receiver has to warm up or be connected to the wifi for a few seconds or minutes before I can try to use my phone as a remote. But honestly I barely use that feature anymore as the Onkyo Remote is more than enough for my needs at this time.
post #56 of 382 Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfunk1x View Post

What has been everyones experience using the Android OnkyoRemote app? It was working for a few weeks, now I can't connect to the receiver. I can stream music off my network, I can hit the router via a web browser - so I know the receiver is on the network. The OnkyoRemote app will find my TV (oddly enough) but it just won't find the receiver anymore.

I really wish I could increase volume on the phono side, too. It's REALLY quiet. I'm going to be hooking up the phono pre-amp this weekend and I'll report back how it works.

Onkyo's network capabilities are "twitchy". What they do is run several processes: http server, upnp and UDP detection servers, and a netapp application. The netapp application is what displays on the TV screen the streaming sources, USB files, and DLNA files. It is also responsible for connection to the Onkyo and other 3rd party applications. What happens is the netapp crashes occasionally. When this happens you get a blue or black screen when selecting NET/USB/DLNA sources and the remote apps stop working. This sounds like what happened in your case.

In a nutshell, just unplug your receiver from the AC power, wait 15 seconds, plug it back in and turn it on.

After it finishes starting up/initializing in a minute or less, you'll find the app is working again.
post #57 of 382 Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Physically unplugging and plugging the power cord on the unit resolved the issues with using the Android app.

No bueno on the additional phono preamp. That input is just quiet I guess. It's not the only quiet input either. The bd/dvd input is also quiet, but network is not. Streaming audio over the network seems loud - I usually have the volume hovering around 40-50 on phono or bd/dvd, but it's half that on net - and I can have the volume at 15 and it's very audible, whereas you wouldn't hear anything that low watching a movie.

In the end, the loudest volume setting on all channels is way louder than I would ever use, so maybe it's really nothign to worry about. It just seems odd that the input levels don't appear to be even across all the channels.

I'm happy overall with the unit for the price. I just wish my PS3 was a newer version that supported hdmi-cec properly. It would be awesome to only need one remote control without having to buy the logitech unit.

I'm going to decide soon whether or not I want to bi-amp my front speakers or add some additional satellites. I was thinking maybe hanging the satellites high on the wall above the tv - would that work to emulate rear-most speakers?
post #58 of 382 Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM

Yesterday, I picked up the 727 home and i'm not too moved. I'm from 606 to 807 and briefly to 1007. Going on the route of 727, is a downgrade interms of sound. I don't mind the 3D or wireless/Bluetooth features. I think they are unnecessary to me . I have got a sony BDP-S790 and will be able to bypass this 3D thing. All I wanted was a good sound (Aego T 7.1, plan to add 2 more satelites and a second su b in the near future.
My 727 is future proof but the sound i was getting from the 807 and 1007 was far better and will like to go back.
My problem is, I have got £800 quid spent on the 727 and I have seen 818, 1007, 906 and even 1010 (above my budget) and can return the 727 in the next 14 days.
Should i go for the 1007 (thinking in mind about their HDMI bord issues in the near future) or the 818 which is even lower or I should even go to a step lower and get the 906? all are from the same retailer.
Thanks
post #59 of 382 Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 PM

hey guys i was wondering if the north american version has a cooling fan? the video online that shows the insides shows a fan but its a European version. i know the older onkyo run hot and my ole onkyo 603x does too.
post #60 of 382 Old 07-25-2013, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l36pontiac View Post

hey guys i was wondering if the north american version has a cooling fan? the video online that shows the insides shows a fan but its a European version. i know the older onkyo run hot and my ole onkyo 603x does too.

Just checked my TX-NR626. It has a cooling fan under the top grill slightly to the left of the tuning knob.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr727 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr626 7 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver , Onkyo Tx Nr525 5 2 Channel Network Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr525 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page